Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to plug vapor system?, Until I can source a charcoal canister
narino
post Jun 8 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,001
Region Association: None

So I've been getting a lot of 'smell' in the car. After some digging here I figured I'd start with plugging up the vapor system. When I got my 72 she never had the charcoal canister so I'm just trying to find the easiest solution till i can source a canister and run the lines correctly.

Pat I'm going to borrow your pic as I dont' have one of my car readily available. In the pic can i plug the expansion tank at that location?

Also, where does the the other hose i've marked lead to?

TIA

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
underthetire
post Jun 8 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Want the smell gone, replace the seal in the gas cap.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 8 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The big hose on the passenger's side simply dumps onto the ground. I would leave the small one disconnected and simply let it vent for the time being. If you don't fill your tank to the top, you probably won't have a real problem.

You might try putting an ad up in the parts wanted section. I imagine that some of the folks that have converted their cars into track cars may have some of these tanks available. If not, Auto Atlanta or one of the other used parts dealers should be able to hook you up. One does forget how much gasoline smell is present as most of today's cars have sealed systems (with EFI and the other vapor recovery devices).
+Quote Post
narino
post Jun 8 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Jeff - Good call, will do.

George - Thanks for the info. At the moment the expansion tank has no tubes hooked up to it. So it breaths right into the front trunk. I'm running half a tank and the smell is enough to bother. Is plugging it at that location ok, or would there be issue with pressure building up in the tank?
+Quote Post
70_914
post Jun 8 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(narino @ Jun 8 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Jeff - Good call, will do.

George - Thanks for the info. At the moment the expansion tank has no tubes hooked up to it. So it breaths right into the front trunk. I'm running half a tank and the smell is enough to bother. Is plugging it at that location ok, or would there be issue with pressure building up in the tank?

Electric fuel pump and sealed tank = no fuel to engine. The amount of fuel coming out will need to be replaced with air, or a vacuum will build up.

Found out the hard way after retrofitting an early tank into my later bug. I could drive 25 miles and then the car would die.

Pressure would build up when the car was sitting, just like gas cans for your lawn mower.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 8 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

If its the plastic canister (not the metal one, new activated charcoal can be installed cheaply. Google is your friend for suppliers.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
realred914
post Jun 8 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

make sure your hoses are clean before hooking it up, make sure the hoses in the wheel wells are not broken. road debries can get sucked into the lines and the suction line feeds the intake manifold AFTER the air filter. you dont want unfiltered road debreis!!!!
+Quote Post
narino
post Jun 8 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #8

realred- thanks for the heads up.

Though I'm still diggin on how I'm going to hook this up to a carbed motor. Would I need to drill the top to the air filter to connect there?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:05 PM