Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Air Conditioning
00SEVEN
post Nov 5 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,343
Region Association: South East States

What would be a fair $ on a complete used dealer installed A/C system, minus the dry rotted lines? Looked all over the net & Evil Bay couldn't really find anything as to a fair current market value.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
type47
post Nov 5 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

From my experience, you can't give any 914 a/c parts.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 5 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Make sure that you get the rotted lines as well so you know the exact fittings and lengths of the hoses! A fair deal including the drive pulley for a nice system is 1500.00. This includes the wiring harness as well!!!

Ac is great in a 914. I would NEVER add it to an unmolested original car but certainly to a restoration that will be a driver. It makes the interior an ice box on the hottest day. I have a story to tell about air vs non air on a four hour trip years ago to Hilton Head. Identical cars even the color (Malaga) My friend Frank and girlfriend Nancy with no air, I and Becky with air arrived in Hilton Head, one couple looking like a train ran over them the other fresh calm cool and collected!!!

QUOTE(00SEVEN @ Nov 5 2010, 09:12 AM) *

What would be a fair $ on a complete used dealer installed A/C system, minus the dry rotted lines? Looked all over the net & Evil Bay couldn't really find anything as to a fair current market value.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 5 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Even though I'm in Illinos, I would also have to agree. As we get older, the climate controls are a lot more important, and I know that I would use the car a whole lot more if it had AC.

Unfortunately, mine is a -6 conversion, and I need all the space possible, so until someone comes up with a good way to run a compressor on a -6 conversion, I have to stay hot in the summer months.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Nov 5 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are cars out there who had air installed and it no longer works.. If all your components are definitely in working order, the target market would be cars that want to refurbish their existing A/C.

Price is whatever market will bear! If someone restoring a 914 that had A/C wants to keep their costs within reason, anything over $500 usually doesn't make it into the budget.

Someone interested in adding A/C do a good driver, might actually pay more, since he isn't spending cash on a lot of restoration all at once. My experience is, keep prices under $1,000 for a better response.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 5 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

It's been a while, but I have purchased used AC off of ebay twice, each time for about $300.00. Both times it was a pile of non functioning rust that I ended up putting back on ebay. The pictures always look so nice on ebay!! I would also love to put AC on my home made six. I am waiting for a NEW kit that includes an electric compressor. Another future 914 project....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 5 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 5 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Even though I'm in Illinos, I would also have to agree. As we get older, the climate controls are a lot more important, and I know that I would use the car a whole lot more if it had AC.

Unfortunately, mine is a -6 conversion, and I need all the space possible, so until someone comes up with a good way to run a compressor on a -6 conversion, I have to stay hot in the summer months.

I've seen several threads here on AC in a 6. Search is our friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
00SEVEN
post Nov 5 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,343

Thanks for the quick replys, have a local shop here in town intersted in purchasing it, for another customers car.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 5 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #9

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 5 2010, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 5 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I've seen several threads here on AC in a 6. Search is our friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Besides George's 916, there has only been 1 installation I have seen here on the Forum and that one had a Serpentine Belt with a mount attached to the Chain Boxes. It broke the studs off the Chain Box and it is no longer in use
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 5 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Sorry for the hijack... Has anyone tried an electric compressor from a hybrid?
http://www.globaldensoproducts.com/hvc/ele...compressor.html
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 5 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,741

I was hoping to put an A/C compressor on after my /6 conversion. So there's no room for a belt driven compressor?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 5 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 5 2010, 04:54 PM) *

I was hoping to put an A/C compressor on after my /6 conversion. So there's no room for a belt driven compressor?

The belt hits the firewall because of the crankshaft dual belt pulley. The Dr's 916 had the firewall cut to clear the compressor. Other people have done it in the past. They just weld or rivet a box to cover the hole in the firewall. However it leaves a bulge in the backpad and limits how far you can put the drivers seat back.
I think an electric compressor would be the way to go, except it would probably suck the battery dry pretty quick if your stuck in traffic.
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Nov 5 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

Another reason to stick with a high-performance 4-- "simplified air conditioning."

Attached Image

Attached Image

Putting A/C in any 914 is not simple, however.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Nov 5 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #14

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(zx-niner @ Nov 5 2010, 08:59 PM) *

Another reason to stick with a high-performance 4-- "simplified air conditioning."

or, go totally to the dark side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ...couldn't resist. Hi Steve!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1252300475.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 5 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #15

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Price or value is relative. In the desert it's priceless. In Alaska it's worthless. If you can get $1500 from George, sell it. Most systems I have seen are in the $300 range from ebay. COndition and completeness will drive price up or down. Have the guy make you an offer. If you get more than $300, it's a bonus.

Now as a buyer, if I have to pay $1000 or more, then I would buy a system from Custom Air or another aftermerket company. At least I would get all new equipment and a modern compressor. Remember it's getting real hard to find R-22. Your old system will have to be converted to R-34 and it may not work with the old compressor seals.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 6 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 5 2010, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(zx-niner @ Nov 5 2010, 08:59 PM) *

or, go totally to the dark side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ...couldn't resist. Hi Steve!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1252300475.jpg)

Water cooled!!! Sacrilege!! Just kidding!!! I would love to have a Suby or V8 914, but I don't have the space or money for another toy.
+Quote Post
Bills914-4
post Nov 6 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,762

Attached Image

Here's another version of a hi-po -4 , It is a system I designed for
my application ( being older ,& living in miami ,AC is a must ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

thanks Bill D.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 6 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #18

bandjoey

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...or-bracket.html
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 6 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

After years of searching, I've come to the conclusion that there is no easy fix. Clay Perrine's setup looked promising, but the forces are too much for the available bolt locations.

Perhaps someone could come up with a way to turn the compressor from a CV joint (obviously would only work when moving), but otherwise there seems to be no good way without cutting the firewall and limiting the driver's seat travel.

The early 911 AC brackets attached to the timing cover 6mm bolts, and also caused problems. These engines were not really engineered for AC back in the day.

A V8 or Subaru conversion is probably the best way to AC a 914!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 6 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #20

bandjoey

I googled custom hot rod airconditioning and came up with a page full of companies. Some have under the dash equipment that looked exactly like the DPD ac units.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:36 AM