Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> We're Painted, Proof There really is a Car!
andys
post Jul 18 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Painted the car finally - I took two days to do the sealer, base, and clear (It took me nearly 5 hours just to mask and skirt, as I put the car on jack stands). Color is GT Silber. Used (very) $$$ PPG.

Scottyb, you were right about the amount of base. I used just under than 2 quarts for three coats (the cabin, engine bay, and inside both trunks were already done).

PPG does not recommend reducing the clear, but every painter I talked to said to reduce it. Guy that owned the booth said to reduce the hell out of it, and as it turns out, that worked out really well.

I started the initial color sanding with 1000 grit to knock it down before the clear got too hard. Managed to get about 3 1/2 corners of the car complete; then on to the doors, trunks, lid, and targa. I'll do final sanding and buffing after assembly (cause you never know what oops might happen!).

Andys

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
AZ914
post Jul 18 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #2

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

NICE!!!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 18 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(andys @ Jul 18 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Painted the car finally - I took two days to do the sealer, base, and clear (It took me nearly 5 hours just to mask and skirt, as I put the car on jack stands). Color is GT Silber. Used (very) $$$ PPG.

Scottyb, you were right about the amount of base. I used just under than 2 quarts for three coats (the cabin, engine bay, and inside both trunks were already done).

PPG does not recommend reducing the clear, but every painter I talked to said to reduce it. Guy that owned the booth said to reduce the hell out of it, and as it turns out, that worked out really well.

I started the initial color sanding with 1000 grit to knock it down before the clear got too hard. Managed to get about 3 1/2 corners of the car complete; then on to the doors, trunks, lid, and targa. I'll do final sanding and buffing after assembly (cause you never know what oops might happen!).

Andys

That is pretty!
+Quote Post
TurboWalt
post Jul 18 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,463
Region Association: Northern California

Looking good!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 18 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am so looking forward to some year being able to post a picture of my chassis all nice and painted. Your car looks terrific; excellent color.
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Jul 18 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(andys @ Jul 18 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Andys

Very clean looking. Is that a radiator up front or do you just have a really big A/C condenser?
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 18 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great looking paint job!

How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

+Quote Post
jim dorociak
post Jul 18 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,966

so what are your plans for tires and wheels? Are those on the car just rollers? 17"? I could build you a set of 18" wheels with the correct offsets. jdorociak@gmail.com
Jim
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 19 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 18 2011, 07:16 PM) *

Very clean looking. Is that a radiator up front or do you just have a really big A/C condenser?

Thanks. Radiator for the V8 is in front, and yes, there's an AC condensor up there too.

Andys
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 19 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Looks great! Thats a hard color to get right!
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 19 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 18 2011, 07:20 PM) *

Great looking paint job!

How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

Spray booth was $300.

Andys
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 19 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Very nice !!
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 19 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Looks great !

Can't wait to see it all back together.

Bob
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jul 19 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #14

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Nice wheel combo. What size spacers are you running?

Matt
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 19 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 19 2011, 12:28 PM) *

Nice wheel combo. What size spacers are you running?

Matt

I have custom trailing arms in the rear, so my off set is different than if they were stock. On the front, I have 2" spacers. Though the wheels fit the flare nicely, there are two problems. First, the tire (205-17) rubs the wheel well at full lock. I originally calculated the spacer should be 1 5/8". Since only 1 1/2" and 2" were available, I went with 2" (I didn't think it would rub, but I was wrong). The second problem I anticipate will be higher steering effort and kick-back due to the increased scrub radius.....Won't know for sure until I get it on the street or track.

Andys
+Quote Post
jim dorociak
post Jul 19 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,966

Andys - are not the guys running 7 x 16" fuchs still using a spacer to fill the wheel well? So the width is really not the issue as much as the offset of the wheel - this is a statement and a question. When I build for widebody 911 cars - turbo cars have built in spacer into the front hub that moves the wheel out approx 21mm. I build 8.5" front wheels using 6.5 inner and 1.75" outer. I could build with a 2.25 and a 5.5 and make an 8" but everyone seems to want the largest wheel front and rear they can get. I have a front wheel here that is 5.5 inner rim and 2.75" outer rim making a 8.5" wheel this offset if very close to the 4 7/8 of a fuchs wheel. I have been saving parts for a set of wheels for my not yet started 914 project car. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 19 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #17

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Andys, that looks very nice.

My flared roller is going into the booth in a few weeks and it will be getting a Colour Change to Silber

T.C.

the Before

Attached Image

My Goal ( a previous -6 I had) I will be going with Rota-Fox 17"s Powder Coated Diamond Blue

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Jul 19 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,479

Wow, I really like the color and the rims...Nice Job@@@
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 19 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Nice job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) FWIW I reduce the hell out of PPG too. Usually 15-20 percent, but then again I even reduce thin ass Nason too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Might want to consider wet sanding and buffing the removable panels and body edges before assembly, It will make for a better job, Tape off all the edges when assembling to prevent the " oopses "
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 20 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jul 19 2011, 04:33 PM) *

Andys - are not the guys running 7 x 16" fuchs still using a spacer to fill the wheel well? So the width is really not the issue as much as the offset of the wheel - this is a statement and a question. When I build for widebody 911 cars - turbo cars have built in spacer into the front hub that moves the wheel out approx 21mm. I build 8.5" front wheels using 6.5 inner and 1.75" outer. I could build with a 2.25 and a 5.5 and make an 8" but everyone seems to want the largest wheel front and rear they can get. I have a front wheel here that is 5.5 inner rim and 2.75" outer rim making a 8.5" wheel this offset if very close to the 4 7/8 of a fuchs wheel. I have been saving parts for a set of wheels for my not yet started 914 project car. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com

Jim,

I'm having a little trouble following you're post. My wheels are stock 993; 7.5" front, and 9.5" rear (IIRC). I don't remember the offsets, but I calculated my spacer dimensions for the rear based on wheel well fit (since there's barely enough room for the 255-17"s). On the front, I needed 1 5/8" spacers to put the wheel in the correct place (scrub radius wise), but as I mentioned earlier, I went with 2".

In an earlier post, I think you mentioned building a set of custom wheels. Though I intend on keeping what I have for now, what kind of custom wheels do you offer? I'm not a fan of large diameter wheels on a 914; 17" to me are already a bit large, and I don't personally like that Chip Foose wheel look on 70's vintage cars. 15" just look right to me (IMHO).

Andys
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 05:58 AM