Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wear those safety glasses!, Just had a good Milwaukee drill bit explode in my face
Mark Henry
post Dec 20 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #1

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Broke many bits in my day, but this one just went bang into several pieces. One cut my face and other went "ping" off my glasses. 1/4" on my drill press, a good Milwaukee drill bit from HD, not a cheap set.
Back in the day I was spotty about wearing safety glasses, this time it would have been disastrous. Stupid lucky, getting older was a good thing for once.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
bulitt
post Dec 20 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Absolutely correct!!!
For us older guys who need reading glasses they offer safety glasses with different strengths.
Glasses 1

Glasses 2

Here are some full vision (entire field magnified)
Full
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 20 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #3

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

saving an eye..... its all worth the BS of wearing them .smart move on your part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 20 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

One rule in my garage: There should be a set of safety glasses within three feet of you no matter where in the garage you are.
Making them convenient is the easiest way to make sure everyone wears them.

If you would like to test that rule, come on over for a beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Stu
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 20 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #5

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 20 2011, 02:04 PM) *

One rule in my garage: There should be a set of safety glasses within three feet of you no matter where in the garage you are.
Making them convenient is the easiest way to make sure everyone wears them.

If you would like to test that rule, come on over for a beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Stu

dang man your tight ....even when your buds drink beer they have to wear them ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Dec 20 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #6

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....Good advise......I use them all the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 20 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I learned that lesson a few years back. If I get out a rotary tool that's powered by anything but my arm I put on eye protection. Well. except a drill/driver when driving screws that is. I do that all too often.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 20 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) although I am not the best about wearing them as much as I should. Mainly because I need to have some made in my prescription.

When I was about 10, my brothers had a '65 Mustang convertible that I was helping them fix up. I ended up with a small shard of metal in my eye, and I didn't know it. I kept rubbing it, which made it embed in my cornea. It didn't bother me too much until the next sunny day when we went to a Reds game. Holy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) did it hurt!

Mom took me to the opthamologist and he attempted to dig it out with a hypodermic needle, but I kept moving. He told me to hold still in an exasperated voice. I asked him if he thought that he might be able to hold still if I was holding a needle to his eyeball, and he got my point. He ended doing surgery. When I woke up, he apologized for being kind of a jerk and told us that he would not have been able to get it using the needle. He actually had to drill it out. I was really lucky that it did not go any deeper.

That was 33 years ago, and I remember it well enough to know that I don't want to go through it again.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Dec 20 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Yup. Had a piece in my eye from my bench belt sander for almost a week. Was getting red, ok got red, was about to go see the eye doc and out it fell. Eye was back to normal next day, but I keep safety glasses at every power tool now.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Dec 20 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

Have them on all the time at work. I lost count of how many times I have had shit "ping" off the lenses.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 20 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've been to an opthamologist twice to have crap pulled out of an eyeball. Years ago. Saw that drill close up and personal. I don't need to do that again.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 20 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 20 2011, 10:55 PM) *

I've been to an opthamologist twice to have crap pulled out of an eyeball. Years ago. Saw that drill close up and personal. I don't need to do that again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Me too! And flash burns several times. Mostly while welding in the shipyard next to two other guys all day. Can't help but get nailed. I wear cheaters now but put on over googles and ear protection when grinding, drilling now. I'm going to check into the cheater saftey glasses in that link!

Rule in my shop was if you wanted the day off just let me catch you without your glasses. First time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Second time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) See ya!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:27 AM