Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is this car a good deal?
jackwood
post Feb 27 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,133
Region Association: North East States

How's the 914 world going on! I think I have a great opportunity in front of me. I found a 73 Porsche 914 for a $1000. The car is a rust show but has a lot of salvageable parts on it including a unmolested 2.0 engine (which they say it runs), and a rear sift tranny. My question is for the seasoned 914 vets. How much is the car worth, and Would I be paying to much? To help with the pricing I live in NY, near manhattan.
Thanks, Jack
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
Eric_Shea
post Feb 27 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Jack.

I would say, if the car is complete you can get your money back out of it "if" your time is not money. Selling it piece by piece would net you more than $1,000.00
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

And you learn a lot about how these cars are built and assembled. But I wouldn't pay more than 500 unless it has alloy wheels (fuchs, mahle, pedrinis)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
type47
post Feb 27 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #4

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

'73 and "rear shift" raises a question if rear shift means "tail shift". Factory '73's would be side shift so perhaps there is a mistake with the ID of the trans...
+Quote Post
jackwood
post Feb 27 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:39 AM) *

'73 and "rear shift" raises a question if rear shift means "tail shift". Factory '73's would be side shift so perhaps there is a mistake with the ID of the trans...

Yeah I might have the year of the car wrong.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Feb 27 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

including a unmolested 2.0 engine (which they say it runs)

Casually looking at craig's list, e-bay, and 914 classifieds for a few months, and given your location, I speculate that a running 2.0 turn-key engine could be worth a significant portion of the asking price you report. FI might make it more attractive. If it has dual carbs instead of FI, those could be worth a couple of hundred $. If you sell the LB separate, there seems to be a good market for 2.0 specific FI components, like injectors and MPS. 2.0 heat exchangers in good condition are another popular seller. They could be SS, if so, bonus.

On the other hand, 914 member, Brad Mayuer, a reputable 914 mechanic in E. Peoria, IL, has a 73 1.7 in decent shape for sale for about the same money. That + $500 in shipping and you've got a driver. My car is 1.7 and I like it just fine, but other's report a lot of fun benefit from the larger stock displacement engine.

I've never tried to part-out a car because it seems like a lot of work, but I wouldn't hesitate if the price was right and there was an expensive part on the car that I wanted anyway.

I'd like to see a picture.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 27 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 27 2012, 06:39 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

... or if it is another MY with a tail-shifter 70-72, then the motor either isn't a "real" GA or GC 2.0, or it's a transplant.

However, a tail-shift case can be used to rebuild a side-shift as a side-shift, if you're going by the /11 vs. /12 transaxle case number.

Yeah - they all "ran when parked" - so you need to look at it as a rebuildable core, and the D-jet EFI needs to be complete for best value. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Best look closer at was this one has & actual MY, since it could be a $2-500 rust bucket with some parts & a PITA in time/effort to strip & sell as a part out, or a $500-1000 part-out with a few key components such as alloy wheels, 2.0 GA, etc. which can be parted easily for most or more than the cost.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jackwood
post Mar 1 2012, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Thanks guys for all your help it was much appreciated. Hopefully it all works out!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 01:03 PM