Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rain Trays - do you use them or lose them?, Occasional rain without the tray might cause?????
tadink
post Mar 10 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,181
Region Association: Northern California

Howdy - have a nice rain tray that was sorta hanging there, and I've taken it off. Now with some weather headed into NorCal (finally!) I'm wondering how bad would it be if some rain came in with no rain-tray?

what's the consensus?

thx

td
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
mrbubblehead
post Mar 10 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i dont have one. i have a gt lid also, so its a pretty big hole back there. i have been caught in the rain, and seems like as long as your moving the rain dosnt go in. but once you stop the rain falls straight in. also i am carburated with rain hats. so not alot of electronics to get wet. when im parked i use the 914 umbrella. everything stays perfectly dry.

if i was fuel injected and HAD toto drive in the rain, i think i keep the tray.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 10 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I once went on a work trip for a week. While I was gone, it rained heavy in the Bay Area. When I tried to start it a week later, it had hydraulic loked from water. The rain hit the air cleaner, which allowed water down the carb, which entered the cylinder through an open valve... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I pulled the spark plug, and blew them off. Cranked it over to squirt the water out. I then used an air chuck to remove as mutch water as possible from the cylinder. Replaced spark plugs and it fired right up. No big deal... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 10 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

First let me say that my car doesn't have it's raintray. I have a GT lid (Thanks Sergio) and I don't really ever take it out in the rain. Now having said that, I think the answer to your question lies in a little story I have heard tell about the dynamic between the engineers and the accountants at the car company:

Believe it! If the engineers can't convince the accountants that it has to be there it will not be there.

So if your car isn't a trailer/garage queen that will never see rain - keep it...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Mar 10 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,218

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2012, 03:45 PM) *

First let me say that my car doesn't have it's raintray. I have a GT lid (Thanks Sergio) and I don't really ever take it out in the rain. Now having said that, I think the answer to your question lies in a little story I have heard tell about the dynamic between the engineers and the accountants at the car company:

Believe it! If the engineers can't convince the accountants that it has to be there it will not be there.

So if your car isn't a trailer/garage queen that will never see rain - keep it...

Or letting strange women in bikinis and high heels wash it…. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
tadink
post Mar 10 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,181

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Mar 10 2012, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2012, 03:45 PM) *

Or letting strange women in bikinis and high heels wash it…. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

YIKES -the last post convinces me - that happens to me ALL THE TIME -

I'll keep the rain tray and get that sucker back installed!

thanks all - agree about the engr's vs accountants as well - those germermans probably thought about this already!

cheers

td
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Mar 10 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,351

I have mine installed. The only negative I can see is just a bit less access with the engine lid raised. I don't notice a significant reduction in oil or head temps with it removed.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Mar 11 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Tadink, this thread is useful to me as well. Have wondered the same and appreciate the info. As always, thanks to responders for the benefit of your experience.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Mar 11 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

Okay, so since my car is non-garaged, and it rains here, I bets get one. Suggestions?
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Mar 11 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

CSOB rain tray
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 11 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #11

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I run with them in 2 914s (1 carb'd, the other F.I.). They help to channel water out, but also keeps other debris from falling into the engine compartment.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Mar 11 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

East Coast where it rains and HELL Holes RUST when wet. Got to use the protection from the rain trays.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 07:33 AM