Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How low can you go?, Bump steer
Lennies914
post Apr 9 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Slacker

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

I am about to swap out my front control arms and I want to lower the front end some when I reassemble. I have a new bump steer kit to install. So I guess my question is; will the bump steer kit have any negative effect on the steering if I choose not to go too low?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
tscrihfield
post Apr 9 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 9 2012, 08:42 PM) *

I am about to swap out my front control arms and I want to lower the front end some when I reassemble. I have a new bump steer kit to install. So I guess my question is; will the bump steer kit have any negative effect on the steering if I choose not to go too low?

Lennie,
Yes it will have the same effect as if you lowered the car without the bump steer kit...

Thomas
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 9 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Lennie,
You can lower it so the control arms are parallel with the pavement. I don't really notice bump steer and I didn't use my bump steer kit either.

DanT lowers his cars so they are low like a snake. Maybe he will chime in if he wanders out of the Paddock... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Apr 9 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

Thanks Guys,

Just to be clear, if I install the kit and don't lower it enough not good. If I don't lower it beyond the control arms being parallel to the ground I'm good without it.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 9 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If you use the bump steer kit it raises the steering rack to change the geometry.
If you lower the a-arms beyond parallel with the ground, they will hit the lowest welded flange on the body when you compress the suspension...so there really is a physical limit.

the bump steer kit is ok, but if you are running sticky rubber...it wont make a difference...your gonna get bump steer.

rich
+Quote Post
jmill
post Apr 10 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What you really need is a bumpsteer gauge. Ideally you want 0 bump but it'll never happen unless you redesign the geometry. Who knows where your at until you measure it? I'm not a fan of rack spacers. You would need to get a bunch of different sizes to get it right. You'll find playing with rack spacers is a PITA to get it just right. I like the spacers on the outer tie rod end. They are very easy to adjust. You can also move them around and measure bump without crawling under the car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Apr 10 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

You see how low my car was. I run a bump steer kit and it did help. Think rule of thumb, if your lowering your car to where the tie rod ends move up the same distance (thickness) of the spacer, run them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:00 AM