Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My v8 makeover! LS1 is in my driveway, Pulling my old v8! almost ready for mockup for my cradle
JRust
post Jun 2 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so as you saw in the other thread I just bought 2000 z28 with an LS1 in it. I got a great deal on it & just bought the whole car. Since it is a driving car I am going ot get everything else ready to go before I pull it. Question is what things should I consider doing to my car? I allready have a 5-lug converison done with 944 turbo Brembo's up front.

My chassis is solid but should I consider adding a cage? Is it needed?

What transmission should I use? I know the 901 can handle it with 1st bypassed. I'd really like to do a Boxters S 6 speed transmission. If I have to spend money getting an adapter plate. Why not upgrade my tranny also?

For an engine mount did anyone make a cradle? Or did you just do a bar setup like stock but setup for the LS1 motor mounts?

I'd like to keep the a/c. What would I need to make that work in my 914?

While everyone is welcome to put there 2cents in. I'd really like to hear from all the guys who have done the LS1 conversion. Do you run the stock water pump or something else?

I added a pic of my car as it currently sits. I will be painting it also (or Jerry Mahoney will) at some point. Leaning towards Phoenix red

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
slothness
post Jun 2 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #2

It's business time

Member No.: 2,906
Region Association: Southern California

I don't think anyone has done an actual LS1 build thread, I'm looking forward to see it all come together. Nice score with the Camero, good luck.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 2 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

I am making some major changes with this. I am selling of all my other 914's & projects. I'm going to focus on this car period. I have 5 914's & plan to be down to one within a month. I'll be getting all my spare parts out & up for sale soon. My suby project which isn't that far from having everything is going up for sale soon too.

This LS1 build is close to my dream setup & I am just going to finish it. Then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) with a big ass smile on my face all the time. Enough playing around with all my other projects I don't really have time for.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 2 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I wouldnt cage a street 914 unless you dont mind bumping your head... Long stiffeners and tieing in the suspension points should be good.
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Jun 2 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,397
Region Association: None

I've done a few and I would put in a back hoop that ties into the seat belt bolt and one down tube each side to the sill just to the front door jam and one that connects at the same height but going back thru the fire wall to near the top of the shock tower in back. Not to intrusive and won't bump your head but will help stiffen.
As for tranny, I have never used the 901. Jumped right into a 915 on the first one and used a Rod shifter set up that I built. The 915 worked out great but I had the tall ring and pinion custom done. Then with the tweeked on LS6 at 500hp/500tq I used the G50-52 with a Quaife LSD. But dont go there, crazy stupid money but man it was nice.
I guess there is someone doing the Boxter trans but I hear the adapter is really thick to make it work. I am doing the Boxster S 6speed with an Sti motor in my 914 and that adapter is the normal thickness.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jun 2 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

The Kennedy Boxster to LS adapter is 1.75" thick.

Bob
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 2 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 2 2012, 06:37 PM) *

I wouldnt cage a street 914 unless you dont mind bumping your head... Long stiffeners and tieing in the suspension points should be good.

Once you get used to getting in/out, you hardly ever bump your head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I can say it is much easier to get in/out without a roll cage. I use the bracket for my side bar to help get in. Make a good grab point.
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Jun 2 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #8

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749

i would get programmable exhaust cutouts for the sleeper effect ;]
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Jun 2 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,660

There are a few LS conversions, 901, 915 and 930 trans have been used. If you are an engineer, you could use anything you want including an Audi 6 speed.

I am doing the LS1-915-3:10-1 r/p w/ 930 cvs. Start a thread so specifics can be commented on and the great people here will do there best to assist you.

There are a lot of issues on the build that are already commented on here. Do a search on each issue and you will see the value of experience on this forum.

But please share your build with us as we all learn from each other!

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 3 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

G50 or pantera box. Do it right, do it once.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 4 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 3 2012, 02:48 PM) *

G50 or pantera box. Do it right, do it once.

Holy hell those are not cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Does the Boxter S come stock with a LSD? Prices on these trannies are a little insane. Which may mean I stick with the 901. With all the extra power from the LS1. How critical is it to have a LSD? I wouldn't want to just be spinning that one wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

Seriously though I guess cost vs practicality. I am not a crazy driver or plan to autox more than occasionally. The LS1 is a little over the top for how I drive really. Just didn't make sense to spend more on my current Buick 215 setup. When upgrading the motor would fix most the current problems I have with mine. Plus get me a newer motor with modern FI. Oh yeah & more power never hurts. I will start a build thread once I have my plan in place.

Operation clean out has begun. My wrecked 73 is heading home with a guy tonight. He had a wreck & is using what left of the sheet metal. Glad to see it go as I have everything off it I wanted. Next is taking my blue 73 up to WA for another teener who needs the drivers side basically complete. My Suby project is either being bought by Ian. Or will be listed in the classifieds soon. Also my LE creamsicle is sale pending. I have a deposit on it & dropped it by a shop today for a final inspection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Barring any new problems I didn't know about. It is finally sold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Which all leads me back to my v8 setup. I will have the space & some cash to work with. I originally thought I may wait until winter. I'm thinking now I may start in the next few weeks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Jun 4 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,658

There are 2 LS1 engines for the F body in 2000. One is 320 hp the other is 305.
There are plenty of mild mod SBC's making way over that hp running 901 transmissions. If you were putting an LS3,LS6 or LS7 I would say something stronger than a 901 is needed. With a stock f body LS I don't see the need. It is really all in how you drive it.

Jerry
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jun 4 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #13

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

some say it is all about TRACTION.

as long as you don't use 1st gear, and don't side step the clutch at 4000 rpm, and don't run wide GRIPPY tires, the 901 should LOVE YOU LONG TIME : )
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 4 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 4 2012, 01:49 PM) *

some say it is all about TRACTION.

as long as you don't use 1st gear, and don't side step the clutch at 4000 rpm, and don't run wide GRIPPY tires, the 901 should LOVE YOU LONG TIME : )

I have kept first with my 215 motor. I only use it in stop & go traffic. I am also absolutely careful with it. I can't see myself keeping it with the LS1. I will remove it & take the possible problem out of the equation. I still like the idea of a Boxster S 6 speed but am not married to it. Either way I'll be spending some coin on an adapter plate. Just figured if I keep my eye's open for the Boxster S & found one reasonable. I may as well upgrade. Of course then I need to do a custom axle setup then too.

On tires I am running 255/40/17 Hancock v12s in the rear with 225/45/17's up front. They are pretty sticky but no straight up autoX tire. I could care less about spinning my tires. Just a waste of money there. I am also pretty sensible with acceleration. I am very into not breaking my car. Especially doing something pointless & stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
rohar
post Jun 4 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,685

There's always the Audi 01x. It'll bolt right up with a boxter flywheel adapter. Not cheep, but a lot less expensive than other trannies with the same specs.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jun 4 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

1) Cage = yes (1st mod to do IMO) - Follow DSDILLIGAF advice above.
2) 901 = reasonable driving + Intermediate Plate + Guard TBD
3) Engine Cradle/Engine Mounts = Renegade
4) Water Pump = Electric Messire
5) A/C = Surely you jest...I live in Hotlanta and don't run AC - don't even sweat.
6) Misc. = a 100 little things to do it right.
7) A bank account with $$$$ in it.

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 2 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Okay so as you saw in the other thread I just bought 2000 z28 with an LS1 in it. I got a great deal on it & just bought the whole car. Since it is a driving car I am going ot get everything else ready to go before I pull it. Question is what things should I consider doing to my car? I allready have a 5-lug converison done with 944 turbo Brembo's up front.

My chassis is solid but should I consider adding a cage? Is it needed?

What transmission should I use? I know the 901 can handle it with 1st bypassed. I'd really like to do a Boxters S 6 speed transmission. If I have to spend money getting an adapter plate. Why not upgrade my tranny also?

For an engine mount did anyone make a cradle? Or did you just do a bar setup like stock but setup for the LS1 motor mounts?

I'd like to keep the a/c. What would I need to make that work in my 914?

While everyone is welcome to put there 2cents in. I'd really like to hear from all the guys who have done the LS1 conversion. Do you run the stock water pump or something else?

I added a pic of my car as it currently sits. I will be painting it also (or Jerry Mahoney will) at some point. Leaning towards Phoenix red
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 16 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

SO I picked up this mock motor. It is just some sort of stryrofoam type thing. But it has bolt holes for everything. The heads are removable too. Once I get my adapter plate. I'm going to bolt up an empty tranny. Then I can put it in place & get my motor mount bar or cradle figured. Crazy thing will be I don't need a lift or jack. It will sure make the mock up process easier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jun 16 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #18

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

That is too cool! Did you know those existed? Great idea.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jun 16 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:51 PM) *

The same words I was going to use, Too Cool!
We need a photo of you holding it with one hand or up over your head.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 16 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:51 PM) *

The same words I was going to use, Too Cool!
We need a photo of you holding it with one hand or up over your head.

Maybe I should do one of those strongest men competitions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 01:18 PM