Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My v8 makeover! LS1 is in my driveway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Okay so as you saw in the other thread I just bought 2000 z28 with an LS1 in it. I got a great deal on it & just bought the whole car. Since it is a driving car I am going ot get everything else ready to go before I pull it. Question is what things should I consider doing to my car? I allready have a 5-lug converison done with 944 turbo Brembo's up front.

My chassis is solid but should I consider adding a cage? Is it needed?

What transmission should I use? I know the 901 can handle it with 1st bypassed. I'd really like to do a Boxters S 6 speed transmission. If I have to spend money getting an adapter plate. Why not upgrade my tranny also?

For an engine mount did anyone make a cradle? Or did you just do a bar setup like stock but setup for the LS1 motor mounts?

I'd like to keep the a/c. What would I need to make that work in my 914?

While everyone is welcome to put there 2cents in. I'd really like to hear from all the guys who have done the LS1 conversion. Do you run the stock water pump or something else?

I added a pic of my car as it currently sits. I will be painting it also (or Jerry Mahoney will) at some point. Leaning towards Phoenix red
slothness
I don't think anyone has done an actual LS1 build thread, I'm looking forward to see it all come together. Nice score with the Camero, good luck.
JRust
I am making some major changes with this. I am selling of all my other 914's & projects. I'm going to focus on this car period. I have 5 914's & plan to be down to one within a month. I'll be getting all my spare parts out & up for sale soon. My suby project which isn't that far from having everything is going up for sale soon too.

This LS1 build is close to my dream setup & I am just going to finish it. Then driving.gif with a big ass smile on my face all the time. Enough playing around with all my other projects I don't really have time for.
Andyrew
I wouldnt cage a street 914 unless you dont mind bumping your head... Long stiffeners and tieing in the suspension points should be good.
csdilligaf
I've done a few and I would put in a back hoop that ties into the seat belt bolt and one down tube each side to the sill just to the front door jam and one that connects at the same height but going back thru the fire wall to near the top of the shock tower in back. Not to intrusive and won't bump your head but will help stiffen.
As for tranny, I have never used the 901. Jumped right into a 915 on the first one and used a Rod shifter set up that I built. The 915 worked out great but I had the tall ring and pinion custom done. Then with the tweeked on LS6 at 500hp/500tq I used the G50-52 with a Quaife LSD. But dont go there, crazy stupid money but man it was nice.
I guess there is someone doing the Boxter trans but I hear the adapter is really thick to make it work. I am doing the Boxster S 6speed with an Sti motor in my 914 and that adapter is the normal thickness.
BIGKAT_83
The Kennedy Boxster to LS adapter is 1.75" thick.

Bob
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 2 2012, 06:37 PM) *

I wouldnt cage a street 914 unless you dont mind bumping your head... Long stiffeners and tieing in the suspension points should be good.

Once you get used to getting in/out, you hardly ever bump your head. smile.gif

I can say it is much easier to get in/out without a roll cage. I use the bracket for my side bar to help get in. Make a good grab point.
Thestigz06
i would get programmable exhaust cutouts for the sleeper effect ;]
pdlightning
There are a few LS conversions, 901, 915 and 930 trans have been used. If you are an engineer, you could use anything you want including an Audi 6 speed.

I am doing the LS1-915-3:10-1 r/p w/ 930 cvs. Start a thread so specifics can be commented on and the great people here will do there best to assist you.

There are a lot of issues on the build that are already commented on here. Do a search on each issue and you will see the value of experience on this forum.

But please share your build with us as we all learn from each other!

Good luck!
Dr Evil
G50 or pantera box. Do it right, do it once.
JRust
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 3 2012, 02:48 PM) *

G50 or pantera box. Do it right, do it once.

Holy hell those are not cheap blink.gif . Does the Boxter S come stock with a LSD? Prices on these trannies are a little insane. Which may mean I stick with the 901. With all the extra power from the LS1. How critical is it to have a LSD? I wouldn't want to just be spinning that one wheel rolleyes.gif .

Seriously though I guess cost vs practicality. I am not a crazy driver or plan to autox more than occasionally. The LS1 is a little over the top for how I drive really. Just didn't make sense to spend more on my current Buick 215 setup. When upgrading the motor would fix most the current problems I have with mine. Plus get me a newer motor with modern FI. Oh yeah & more power never hurts. I will start a build thread once I have my plan in place.

Operation clean out has begun. My wrecked 73 is heading home with a guy tonight. He had a wreck & is using what left of the sheet metal. Glad to see it go as I have everything off it I wanted. Next is taking my blue 73 up to WA for another teener who needs the drivers side basically complete. My Suby project is either being bought by Ian. Or will be listed in the classifieds soon. Also my LE creamsicle is sale pending. I have a deposit on it & dropped it by a shop today for a final inspection piratenanner.gif . Barring any new problems I didn't know about. It is finally sold biggrin.gif . Which all leads me back to my v8 setup. I will have the space & some cash to work with. I originally thought I may wait until winter. I'm thinking now I may start in the next few weeks aktion035.gif
jmmotorsports
There are 2 LS1 engines for the F body in 2000. One is 320 hp the other is 305.
There are plenty of mild mod SBC's making way over that hp running 901 transmissions. If you were putting an LS3,LS6 or LS7 I would say something stronger than a 901 is needed. With a stock f body LS I don't see the need. It is really all in how you drive it.

Jerry
jimkelly
some say it is all about TRACTION.

as long as you don't use 1st gear, and don't side step the clutch at 4000 rpm, and don't run wide GRIPPY tires, the 901 should LOVE YOU LONG TIME : )
JRust
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 4 2012, 01:49 PM) *

some say it is all about TRACTION.

as long as you don't use 1st gear, and don't side step the clutch at 4000 rpm, and don't run wide GRIPPY tires, the 901 should LOVE YOU LONG TIME : )

I have kept first with my 215 motor. I only use it in stop & go traffic. I am also absolutely careful with it. I can't see myself keeping it with the LS1. I will remove it & take the possible problem out of the equation. I still like the idea of a Boxster S 6 speed but am not married to it. Either way I'll be spending some coin on an adapter plate. Just figured if I keep my eye's open for the Boxster S & found one reasonable. I may as well upgrade. Of course then I need to do a custom axle setup then too.

On tires I am running 255/40/17 Hancock v12s in the rear with 225/45/17's up front. They are pretty sticky but no straight up autoX tire. I could care less about spinning my tires. Just a waste of money there. I am also pretty sensible with acceleration. I am very into not breaking my car. Especially doing something pointless & stupid confused24.gif .
rohar
There's always the Audi 01x. It'll bolt right up with a boxter flywheel adapter. Not cheep, but a lot less expensive than other trannies with the same specs.
Cracker
1) Cage = yes (1st mod to do IMO) - Follow DSDILLIGAF advice above.
2) 901 = reasonable driving + Intermediate Plate + Guard TBD
3) Engine Cradle/Engine Mounts = Renegade
4) Water Pump = Electric Messire
5) A/C = Surely you jest...I live in Hotlanta and don't run AC - don't even sweat.
6) Misc. = a 100 little things to do it right.
7) A bank account with $$$$ in it.

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 2 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Okay so as you saw in the other thread I just bought 2000 z28 with an LS1 in it. I got a great deal on it & just bought the whole car. Since it is a driving car I am going ot get everything else ready to go before I pull it. Question is what things should I consider doing to my car? I allready have a 5-lug converison done with 944 turbo Brembo's up front.

My chassis is solid but should I consider adding a cage? Is it needed?

What transmission should I use? I know the 901 can handle it with 1st bypassed. I'd really like to do a Boxters S 6 speed transmission. If I have to spend money getting an adapter plate. Why not upgrade my tranny also?

For an engine mount did anyone make a cradle? Or did you just do a bar setup like stock but setup for the LS1 motor mounts?

I'd like to keep the a/c. What would I need to make that work in my 914?

While everyone is welcome to put there 2cents in. I'd really like to hear from all the guys who have done the LS1 conversion. Do you run the stock water pump or something else?

I added a pic of my car as it currently sits. I will be painting it also (or Jerry Mahoney will) at some point. Leaning towards Phoenix red
JRust
SO I picked up this mock motor. It is just some sort of stryrofoam type thing. But it has bolt holes for everything. The heads are removable too. Once I get my adapter plate. I'm going to bolt up an empty tranny. Then I can put it in place & get my motor mount bar or cradle figured. Crazy thing will be I don't need a lift or jack. It will sure make the mock up process easier biggrin.gif
Lennies914
That is too cool! Did you know those existed? Great idea.
ruby914
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:51 PM) *

The same words I was going to use, Too Cool!
We need a photo of you holding it with one hand or up over your head.
JRust
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:51 PM) *

The same words I was going to use, Too Cool!
We need a photo of you holding it with one hand or up over your head.

Maybe I should do one of those strongest men competitions idea.gif
Cairo94507
That is way to funny. I had no idea those even existed.
JRust
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 16 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I didn't either. I stumbled onto it in craigslist. I paid $300 for it. Not sure if I got taken or not laugh.gif
Mike Bellis
Wish I had one Audi style. Just watch out when you weld around it. Cover it good!
Rand
Cool find. Those are common in the hot rod / custom shops. When things aren't a factory fit, that beats the hell out of trial and error with a real engine on a cherry picker with three guys tipping and and forcing things into place, finding where clearance is needed, marking, cutting, fabricating...then the whole process repeated. They make a bunch of different foam oil pans and accessories that can be swapped around too.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 16 2012, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 16 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I didn't either. I stumbled onto it in craigslist. I paid $300 for it. Not sure if I got taken or not laugh.gif

You can pick these up on Summit for about $370 -

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product.../?Ns=Rank%7cAsc
Lennies914
Was looking for a subaru. Here is their site. They do trannys also.
http://www.payr.com/index.htm
SLITS
Put anti-sieze on your sparkplugs. poke.gif
JRust
I ordered my 901 to LS1 tranny adapter from Kennedy today. Along with their 9" flywheel setup. The clutch is a little cheaper in the 9" than the 215. Only wish the turn around was quicker. They have a 3week wait right now. Hoping it will be quicker but we'll see. I really want to get it so I can get my Cradle made for the motor/tranny.
JRust
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 17 2012, 08:52 AM) *

Put anti-sieze on your sparkplugs. poke.gif

Ouch! You are a smart man there Ron slap.gif . Guess I am lucky I don't need to install any spark plugs in my fake motor huh blink.gif laugh.gif
JRust
I am driving the Camaro to a buddies tonight for parting. Motor will come out this week along with the ECU & wiring harness. My adapter plate from Kennedy isn't due for another 2 weeks unfortunately.

I am going to pull my current v8 setup & put it up for sale in the classifieds. Still trying to decide on a price. It will be a bolt in setup for any 914 though. I may even just keep it for a future car idea.gif .
JRust
Got my motor out today evilgrin.gif One LS1 on a stand in my garage now biggrin.gif . Now I just need my adapter plate to get here from Kennedy. Also my ECU & wiring harness will be heading to wait4meperformace. Making some progress but short on cash now. So things will be a stand still for a bit
JRust
Got my motor out today evilgrin.gif One LS1 on a stand in my garage now biggrin.gif . Now I just need my adapter plate to get here from Kennedy. Also my ECU & wiring harness will be heading to wait4meperformace. Making some progress but short on cash now. So things will be a stand still for a bit
matthepcat
Did you try pulling off your small block adapter plate to see how that plate sits against the LS1 engine? I am curious.
Mike Bellis
Looks easy to connect the coolant lines. Can a remote water pump be fitted? If not will the engine push int the car? You could always stretch the chassis right behind the door to make it fit. I think the 914/928 conversion from Germany was done that way.

On a side note, it would make sense that the bellhousing bolt pattern would be the same going from SBC to LS1. It would be neat if a side by side comparison could be made. Flywheel may be the bigger difference.

Jamie, I have a SPEC stage 3 clutch that would be perfect for that setup. It's good for 650hp and fits the standard 914 clutch layout. Berely broken in... Just sayin... poke.gif
messix
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 5 2012, 08:46 AM) *

Did you try pulling off your small block adapter plate to see how that plate sits against the LS1 engine? I am curious.

he got a 215 buick in it now so it has a bpo bolt pattern.
JRust
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 5 2012, 08:46 AM) *

Yeah sorry I have a Buick 215 v8 not. I did have an SBC adapter plate but sent it off to a buddy. So I just have to wait for my new one from Kennedy

Mike I might just snag that clutch from you when I get your tranny. I only ordered the adapter plate & flywheel from Kennedy. So I still need to do something for a clutch.
JRust
My adapter plate & Flywheel came from Kennedy today piratenanner.gif . Trying to decide if I should pull my current motor or wait for a buyer while they can see it run idea.gif . Guess I just better take some video of it. I haven't had alot of interest in the Buick setup. So maybe I just keep it for another car.

Either way I'll be starting some mockup work for my new cradle biggrin.gif . Ian you better get your but in gear poke.gif
Mike Bellis
Put the LS1 in the Creamsicle happy11.gif

confused24.gif Why not? Just don't tell Jeff Bowlsby...
IM101
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 21 2012, 06:29 PM) *

My adapter plate & Flywheel came from Kennedy today piratenanner.gif . Trying to decide if I should pull my current motor or wait for a buyer while they can see it run idea.gif . Guess I just better take some video of it. I haven't had alot of interest in the Buick setup. So maybe I just keep it for another car.

Either way I'll be starting some mockup work for my new cradle biggrin.gif . Ian you better get your but in gear poke.gif

I thought i heard the UPS truck today... should have plenty of time here in a bit, this is my last week at my internship... its going to be all porsche projects in 3 more days! happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 21 2012, 06:45 PM) *

You don't even know how your tempting me right now evilgrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 22 2012, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 21 2012, 06:45 PM) *

You don't even know how your tempting me right now evilgrin.gif

WTF.gif I thought you sold the Creamsicle? WTF.gif
JRust
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 22 2012, 02:09 PM) *

WTF.gif I thought you sold the Creamsicle? WTF.gif

Nope turned out guy was trying to Scam me! Nothing like having a 0 feedback buyer huh headbang.gif
JRust
Well somehow the rebuilt tranny in my Creamsicle I sold blew. Jump started my LS1 build again. Had to pull the tranny that was in my current buick setup. Send off the tranny to my buddy Tommy who bought the LE. Sucks when things like that happen but glad I had another rebuilt tranny I could send him.

Now back to my v8. Started unhooking everything today to pull it. It is sitting on a cart under the car still. Couple more wires to unhook & tape/mark what they go to. I added video of it running to my FS add. So hopeully someone will jump on it soon. It will be ready to ship soon. I hope to start fabbing my cradle this next week. I'll also be welding in the inner long kit in the cab. Still kicking around caging my car some.

I also still want to try to do something different with a radiator. I've had this idea of running dual side radiators in the rear quarters. I added he GT flares & would like to add an inlet in front to feed the radiators. The outlet is simple as to would just be in front of the rear tires. I had figured on using Boxster radiators but who knows. I would really love to get my front trunk back. This isn't critical. I have Renegades radiator which works great. I just have always wanted to get the radiator closer to the motor. I don't think in the engine bay will ever work. At least not to cool a v8. A suby I think wold be possible.

I'll get some pics up when I start fabbing. I have my fake LS1 motor & an empty tranny. Once thos are bolted together I'll throw them up in place. Amacing how light this mock setup is. I can literally lift the whole setup myself & shift it around with no problem biggrin.gif
mittelmotor
You're going to love the driveability of the fuel injection (not to mention the power of the LS1!). Here's a couple shots of mine that might be useful. I decided to put the ECU in the rear trunk just to keep it cooler. Even with MAF/TB/air filter poking through, there's still plent of space.
JRust
Hey Doug love to see a shot of the motor from the front before you installed it. Do you have any access panel in the firewall? Or do you need one?
mittelmotor
Hi JRust,

No access panel necessary. You do have to either relocate the brake proportioning valve, or replace it with a T fitting. Some predict Armageddon with the T approach, insisting that it causes both the end of the world and premature rear lockup, but if you're running more rear tire than front, it's not an issue. I did some threshold braking tests with mine (205 fronts, 225 rears) and it works beautifullly.

Another slight clearance issue is the main wiring harness comes mighty close to, or even touches the harmonic damper. I simply tugged it out of the way and secured it with a large (1" or 1.25") cable clamp through-bolted to the firewall.

I've got the bulkier harmonic damper from the Camaro/Firebird, and the alternator bracket shown (from Renegade) is for that application. Corvette HD is a bit slimmer, and tucks the alternator in closer to the block.With the latter setup, you might not have to use the T-fitting...dunno.

Here's some pics. As always, I wish I had taken more!
Cracker
Here is how I ran my coolant hoses...a little different than what Renegade suggested. Also, if a "sleeper" look is what you are into (which I really
liked in a narrow body car) attached are two pictures of my "take" on the exhaust set-up. BTW, the oval SS tip is "for sale" should anyone be interested...it fit perfectly in the rear valance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
Cracker -

Do you have any other pictures of your car in regard to set up prior to going "wide-body" that you could post?
andys
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 19 2013, 08:11 PM) *

I also still want to try to do something different with a radiator. I've had this idea of running dual side radiators in the rear quarters. I added he GT flares & would like to add an inlet in front to feed the radiators. The outlet is simple as to would just be in front of the rear tires. I had figured on using Boxster radiators but who knows. I would really love to get my front trunk back. This isn't critical. I have Renegades radiator which works great. I just have always wanted to get the radiator closer to the motor. I don't think in the engine bay will ever work. At least not to cool a v8. A suby I think wold be possible.

Jamie,

I don't think anyone has been successful with a mid mounted radiator setup for a V8 like you describe. The down side with experimentation is the extensive fabrication and testing and reconfiguring and so on; it's a lot of work compared to a known working configuration such as the front mounted radiator....especially since you already have one.

Andys
JRust
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 21 2013, 09:19 AM) *

Jamie,

I don't think anyone has been successful with a mid mounted radiator setup for a V8 like you describe. The down side with experimentation is the extensive fabrication and testing and reconfiguring and so on; it's a lot of work compared to a known working configuration such as the front mounted radiator....especially since you already have one.

Andys

I know it hasn't really been done. I may not do it either as I do have plenty into my current radiator setup. Still I haven't seen anyone try doing it the way I have it in mind. Odds are I may do it down the road. I have enough to worry about getting the conversion done I guess. This radiator setup has been on my mind forever. I think it is doable but may be to much fab work for it to look good confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.