Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My v8 makeover! LS1 is in my driveway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 21 2013, 10:12 AM) *

I think it is doable but may be to much fab work for it to look good confused24.gif

I think it may be doable but you would definitely have to build the car around the radiator. Wind tunnel testing would be helpful too.

To top it off, do you really want all the extra weight over the rear wheels? Water cooled 914 are still balanced due to the radiator up front. But it would be nice to have a front trunk again...
mittelmotor
Like Cracker, I went with the stock-appearing exhaust. Single transverse muffler (two in, two out) with a hidden dump pipe on the right side. Nothing too crazy in my setup...2.25" tubing, and I retained the stock cast-iron manifolds. I wasn't worried about losing a few horsepower to restriction, as it is PLENTY fast and still pretty civilized.
Cracker
I hope just JRust doesn't mind the hi-jack...

Also, below is the hose routing that I ended up with - I took slack out of the lines and it (and looked) worked very well too. I cut the front bumper opening with a Plasma welder; rechromed the bumper, and then bonded SS perforated sheet to the inside. The car ran extremely cool with this set-up - even on the track.

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jan 21 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Cracker -

Do you have any other pictures of your car in regard to set up prior to going "wide-body" that you could post?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cracker
BTW - If it doesn't exist already, there should be a "V8/LS" thread NAILED for examples and ideas. I realize the thought of this might put some of the old-timers in a state of shock but...times have changed. piratenanner.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 22 2013, 05:54 AM) *

I hope just JRust doesn't mind the hi-jack...

Also, below is the hose routing that I ended up with - I took slack out of the lines and it (and looked) worked very well too. I cut the front bumper opening with a Plasma welder; rechromed the bumper, and then bonded SS perforated sheet to the inside. The car ran extremely cool with this set-up - even on the track.

Hi Jack away! Any LS1 info & pictures are very appreciated biggrin.gif
chads74
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 22 2013, 06:56 AM) *

BTW - If it doesn't exist already, there should be a "V8/LS" thread NAILED for examples and ideas. I realize the thought of this might put some of the old-timers in a state of shock but...times have changed. piratenanner.gif

I agree! I have started my v8 conversion and would love examples of what others have done.
GeorgeRud
Are there any other pics of LS engines installed? Is there anyway to avoid cutting into the trunk for the intake system?
Cracker
Yes...as long as you don't mind it right next to your ear! piratenanner.gif

I'm waiting for someone to make a play on designing a "cockpit" oriented
intake system.

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 24 2013, 08:56 PM) *

Are there any other pics of LS engines installed? Is there anyway to avoid cutting into the trunk for the intake system?

pjhaun
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 24 2013, 05:56 PM) *

If I'm not mistaken, I think that Edlebrock has a intake manifold that fits the LS1. The only thing you would have to due is get a throttle body that would fit , mount fuel injectors and fuel rails.

Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.
speed metal army
I didnt want to cut mine,so im running a 4bbl.This is the Edelbrock manifold mentioned before. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bulitt
Guess its a personal decision. The LS1 for example in 350hp trim will get over 30mpg with the stock injection. Probably lose some of that with the carb in place. Then if you are going to run a carb, why not just put a SBC in? Used to be the LS engines were cheap but now everyone wants one so the cost of a SBC with aluminum heads is equivalent, and the weight diff between a LS and alum head/intake SBC is close.
I paid 1000$ for my 327 .060 over 330hp, brand new rebuild, with the manifold. Holley avenger for 300$, Headers and pertronix another 300$

The LS is quite the engine, hp easy to add, crazy fuel mileage, no fuel smell out the tailpipe. I would just cut the trunk and save the piece.
speed metal army
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 25 2013, 06:20 AM) *

Guess its a personal decision. The LS1 for example in 350hp trim will get over 30mpg with the stock injection. Probably lose some of that with the carb in place. Then if you are going to run a carb, why not just put a SBC in? Used to be the LS engines were cheap but now everyone wants one so the cost of a SBC with aluminum heads is equivalent, and the weight diff between a LS and alum head/intake SBC is close.
I paid 1000$ for my 327 .060 over 330hp, brand new rebuild, with the manifold. Holley avenger for 300$, Headers and pertronix another 300$

The LS is quite the engine, hp easy to add, crazy fuel mileage, no fuel smell out the tailpipe. I would just cut the trunk and save the piece.

The LS is a better choice than the SBC in a few ways..No cutting for the dist,lighter,
more HP in stock form etc.They run cleaner too like you said.The carb was a fun way to go,and it can be replaced any time with FI.My motor cost me $750,complete,then another 600 or so for ignition,carb,manifold etc.That being said,I know of a whack of guys with 383's and 400's that cant give em away.Everyone is going LS.
914GT
You don't need to cut the trunk for clearance on an SBC if using a smaller distributor. But it is nice to have a removable cover to pull the distributor without dropping the engine. You can buy aluminum SBC blocks from GM Performance or Dart if the goal is to save weight, of course they are pricey. These can be built in about any bore/stroke combination you want, and all kinds of roller rockers, cams, heads and other parts to improve performance. There are EFI kits for SBCs also, and exhaust could be cleaned up with a catalytic converter.
pjhaun
How are you guys activating your electric water pump?
Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.
lanker88
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 16 2012, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:51 PM) *

That is too cool! Did you know those existed? Great idea.

The same words I was going to use, Too Cool!
We need a photo of you holding it with one hand or up over your head.

Maybe I should do one of those strongest men competitions idea.gif

Hahahha! Nice.
Cracker
I had mine wired off the relay/fuse block of the engine wiring harness (powered "on" switched ignition). I then installed an over-ride switch so I could run it after the engine was turned off...one of the benefits of electric pumps is you can quickly lower the temps (w/o engine power).

QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jan 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.
BIGKAT_83
Hose routing. Picture was taken before I turned intake around to face the rear.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
InkyP
Just wondering how much weight the full LS1 conversion adds to the car. Has anyone put their car on a scale to see?
mittelmotor
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jan 25 2013, 04:26 PM) *

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.

I spliced into the ECU's fuel pump trigger wire to a standard Bosch-type relay. The Meziere pump that came with the Renegade package already had an inline fuse.

InkyP, I've been meaning to get to a scale. When I do, I'll post the weight here. I'm hoping it's right around 2350 lb.
JRust
Small update. My old Buick 215 setup is all out. It's been shipped to another member (Vinnie) to go back into another 914. I started to pull out my interior & firewall cap. Man the PO who did that original install sure did a butcher job with a plasma cutter. I've got a fair amount of cutting & welding to do to clean up my firewall. When I am done it will look stock again. Well the firewall will anyway evilgrin.gif

With the interior out I'll be welding in the interior Engman long kit. Before replacing the firewall I will get the LS1 mocked up in place. Once it is mocked up & the cradle is done. I will get the firewall back in place. Not alot of progress but it felt good to finally make some
Cairo94507
Wow you are not kidding. Looks like a crazed man had his way with your car. headbang.gif
charliew
Since all that sheetmetal is missing, what would it take to just make the ls fit with the stock stuff? To me it looks like a 90 elbow could be put on the intake and put the tb to either side with the aircleaner.

I have been around a lot of sbc's, I have a new 96 corvette lt1 complete with tranny and all assessories and electronics, cats and all. a 400 stock original 79 low mileage sbc, a 350/400ftlb. ramjet, and a 96 5.7 new vortec 4 bolt main motor with a edlebrock multiport FI intake to go with it and still I think the ls motor is a better new hotrod motor and worth the trouble and cost. Just the head and aluminum block and coil over plug technology alone is worth the switch.

I do think you will be much happier with a audi tranny though. I'm not sure you will need a 6 speed in the light car with the ls's torque though.
Krieger
I am no engineer, but I might be concerned about how that lower center section of the firewall is hacked and not reinforced. That section used to be a box shape that offered some strength. You do have more power and weight with no cage or any other strengthening.
JRust
I will be replacing the sections that are hacked up with stock material. I have my donor sitting in my driveway. IT will look stock when done. I have struggled with doing a cage. I want it to still be a little low key. I will do an occasional autoX but really it is my weekend fun ride. I am pretty easy on my cars besides. With the LS1 power I will be light footed. It's more than I need but it's always nice to have more than you need evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.