Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> High capcity oil pump
TomR
post Jan 30 2013, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,117
Region Association: None

Hi I'm installing an oil cooler in the front bumper of my '73 914. It's got a 2.4L 4 that's got 160hp & 170ft lbs of torque. I want to install a high capcity oil pump to keep oil pressure respectable. Any advice on who sells a good one? Do I have to drop motor to install it, & is it a simple switch or do you have to modify anything to make it fit? Any advice would be great.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
pcar916
post Jan 30 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

The six cylinder engines don't usually use an external oil pump. The existing pump in the engine case moves the oil through an external thermostat and into either the external oil tank when it's cold, or into an oil cooler after it warms up.

You would use an external pump in applications like a transaxle cooler when the transaxle doesn't have a pump internally. But only then when your usage makes the oil unbearably hot, and/or you need external filtration.

Good luck
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jan 30 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 30 2013, 06:20 AM) *

The six cylinder engines don't usually use an external oil pump. The existing pump in the engine case moves the oil through an external thermostat and into either the external oil tank when it's cold, or into an oil cooler after it warms up.

You would use an external pump in applications like a transaxle cooler when the transaxle doesn't have a pump internally. But only then when your usage makes the oil unbearably hot, and/or you need external filtration.

Good luck

Classic case of, didn't actually read the question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 30 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Sorry, Ron.

Schadeck is the one I use, there is some modification that needs to be done, but Aircooled.net sells a unit that's ready to drop in. It can be installed with the engine in the car, I've done it three times in recent memory. But I have a lift and that makes things a whole bunch easier. In a garage, I'd probably pull the engine to do the install and make your life a whole lot easier, even though the process will take slightly longer.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jan 30 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

Ooops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Hope that's the worst thing that happens to me today!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 30 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Is a higher capacity oil pump even necessary? I have a 2.2 liter type IV. If I want to relocate my external oil cooler from under the rear trunk to the front bumper is my current stock oil pump OK?
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 30 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

You need to consider this as a system and treat it holistically. You will need to size the pump by the length of your run - assuming you are using an external cooler and/or filter. You should consider adding the kit to stiffen up the bypass in the case and if using a filter adapter disable the ball/plunger bypass.

I'd consider 30mm the "norm" for this. 27mm pumps will probably be to small in the end. Aircooled.net is great to work with. Can't recommend them enough.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:06 AM