Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Daily driver recommendations, yup, still trying to decide
djm914-6
post May 19 2003, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Group: Members
Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

Those of you on the 911 lists and boards are probably getting tired of my asking similar questions but I'll ask anyway. I'm looking for an mildly entertaining daily driver to replace my aging Golf VR6. I started looking at 928s, but decided that the maintenance and upkeep would put me in the poor house or at least limit my 914 project spending. Early 911s are out because I want 3 point rear belts for the kids (the 1-2 times per month they actually ride in my car) plus ABS, and airbags. I thought I wanted a 964 C4, but after doing more serious searches, I found some reasonable prices of 993s and even high mileage 996 Carreras. Even the 968 is looking interesting as it has some usable hatch space, not that it's a priority with the wife getting a Suburban soon. Please give me your feed back after reviewing my list. I'm asking my 914 pals because I feel as a whole, you're not as bias toward a particular car like many on the 911 lists. I already know that Mike Z voted for a 968 Cab.

Criteria:
Safe, modern, daily driver. Mostly a one person car but may see 2 adults and/ or 2 small children on very rare occasions. Not looking to infringe on 914 project budget with high maintenance. No track performance needed, nor upgrade potential as it'll be CW original. I'm leaning toward Tip equipped cars as I drive in heavy interstate traffic daily.

Cars:
'03 MINI Cooper S
'90-'94 964 Coupe/Targa C2/C4 Man/Tip, open to best example, lower mileage.
'95-96 993 C2 Coupe Man/Tip, probably some flaws, higher mileage
'99 996 C2 Coupe Man/Tip, high mileage
'94-'95 968 Coupe/Cab Man/Tip lower mileage preferred.

Thoughts, sneers, suggestions and comments welcome.

TIA,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mike D.
post May 19 2003, 02:55 PM
Post #2

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I vote for the 968. My Father-In-Law has a '94 coupe with sport suspension and I love that car. Six speed and lightning fast 3.0. Back seats are really only kiddie seats, and the storage space in rear hatch is great when the seats are folded down. He sometimes goes "Garage Saling" in it on weekends.

-Have Fun
Mike D.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post May 19 2003, 02:56 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I'd second the 968
It should be cheaper to buy than a 964 C2 or 4
Has the same modern comforts you are looking for as the 964 or 993
Run absolutely fabulous. Good performance (not much less than a 964)
The handling isn't as tricky as that of a 911, so you can send the wife out without needing to worry (and/or the wife will feel comfortable to drive the car)
Comes with a 6 speed gearbox (or as a tiptronic, if that's what you like)
Looks very good IMO and isn't such a common bird either

Good luck choosing!

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post May 19 2003, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 430

If you want the same driving experience as a Porsche and want more room, try out a BMW M3 or a E34 M5. I've owned an older '88 E28 M5 and about a year ago, picked up a low mileage '92 E34 M5 and it's every bit as quick as a 911-993. Power, braking and handling is outstanding. 311HP 0-60 in 6.2 sec. Revs to 7grand and the lumply exaust note is addicting. They are four valve engines that sing. Both cars have been very reliable too. DH
+Quote Post
Jeff Krieger
post May 19 2003, 03:15 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

You could just replace your Golf with one of these ...

(IMG:http://www.hpamotorsport.com/screens/images/golfmk4twin.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post May 19 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4

why do you think the 928 will be so expensive to maintain? I had an '89 928GT and that car is simply awesome. didn't have it long term, but I drove it 15k miles with no issues at all. I had the car pre-purchase inspected at devek before buying. that car would be your best choice for a cruiser with top performance. for the price you're looking to pay on your list you could even get a nice '94-'95 GTS.

I also had a '95 993, and while a lot of fun, it's not the best all in one kinda car. there is no space at all. I know that doesn't seem important now, but once you've got one you notice all the little things.

but my current car would be my first choice, a '03 VW GTi VR6 24 valve 6 speed. 200HP, no worry of repair bills, great gas mileage, interior space, cheaper insurance, and $24.5k new and fully loaded.

won't you be driving in snow??
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post May 19 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Are you stuck on a P-car?

Go test drive a Jeep Wrangler... find out if you like it, then pick up one that's a couple years old with no off-road time.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 19 2003, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Based on your list...

Mini Cooper S - I'd love one of those. I already have a P-car. I like to mix it up.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 19 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

a 968 is a sooped up 944/924 right? bigger engine, someone post a pic please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post May 19 2003, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the input so far. My fear in buying a 968 is that it's not a 911. I do want to own a tail dragger so I can go to wine and cheese parties. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) I thought I liked the 964, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen 993s and 996s for around $30k. I know they're not the top of the barrel, but shouldn't be too bad. For several days last week I chased down a 944 cab (nice blonde driver!!) and really like the look. The 968 would just give me all of the goodies I want. I am surprised that a 4 cyl will perform like a 6. Several years ago, I vowed not to buy a car with less than 6 cylinders, but maybe it's time too look. I really need to take one for a drive.

After driving the MINI, it's not high on my list but has many plus'. Good Performance (for a four - see above comment), nice handling, warrenty, and no DAPO issues. On the down side, I'm not sure if the car was "me". Also the dealer wasn't a pleasure to deal with.

In no way will I buy another VW or VW product. I like to keep cars for quite some time and IMO VW doesn't have staying power. Sure, when the cars are new, they're great, but they don't age well at all. Hell, I sold dozens VWs in the years I was working at a dealership. Some cars were good, others were service nightmares. Mine are closer to the later.

A jeep? I thought about it for awhile, but it's not me. If I still lived in Maine, I might have bought one, but not where I am now. I did like a friends Toyota Land Cruiser (mid '70s) though.

BMWs are on my look list. I've often thought about an M3. I just may need to visit the M center near me.

This is a 968...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/classifieds/image/403.jpg)
This shirt and the others I've shown in the classifieds section will be going on ebay this week if no one here is interested in them.

Thanks again y'all. Keep the ideas an opinions coming. I don't have my own anymore, I'm married. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
post May 19 2003, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Group:
Member No.: 0

Weak! You gotta get the soccer mom vans.

(IMG:http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/444-1.jpg)

I think it depends on you budget. You listed cars between $20K to $60K. + or - $$.

If I were you, on your list, I'd go 993.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 19 2003, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

After driving the MINI, it's not high on my list

What's it doin on the list then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

If I were to get another P-car, I'm a 993 fan. (Or a Boxster, but that's not for you)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 19 2003, 09:27 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I drive a 993 daily and have no regrets.

Maintenance is costly though. Figure on oil changes every 5k at $300, brakes every 30k at $1800, 15k maintenance at $1000, tires every 10K at $1000.

Plan on spending lots of time to find the right car (don't settle). The pros of a '95 are no Varioram, cons - the harness recall.

All the costs aside, I love my car. After 2 1/2 years, I still enjoy going to work 22 miles each way. Its a fun car to drive really fast.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
72Signal914
post May 19 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #14

Think I need a new keyboard

Member No.: 702

I don't think the local gas station sells Race Fuel for that van. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post May 19 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #15

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Dave,
have you considered the 944 Turbo (951)?
I know the 'newest' model is now 13-14 yrs old, but hey,
some of our 914s are 33yrs old, right?

Btw: what year VW Golf VR6 do you have?
I've been looking for one for myself.

What's been your experience with your VR6?

Thanks
+Quote Post
post May 20 2003, 01:09 AM
Post #16

Group:
Member No.: 0

there's one 76 station near my friend's place, not far from my house, that sells 96 octane, I think, at the pump.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Blynes
post May 20 2003, 04:38 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 169

Buy a real Porsche the 993.

Bill Lynes
84 911
74 914
95 525I
93 525I
93 Range Rover
83 300D
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post May 20 2003, 06:05 AM
Post #18

That's what happens when I go to bed early... so many messages, but where to begin?

Ginter, The mini is still on the list because it represents a value of being a decent new car and all the good that goes with it. For $30k (the higher end of my budget) I can get a nice optioned out car and not need to worry about any repairs till it's paid for. And that is my biggest fear in buying a used car, especially a used Porsche. Keep in mind, I only bought three cars in my life and two were new, the third being the 914. The 993 is only on my list because I have seen a few down toward the lower $30s. Same with the 996, but that one would be very questionable.

cavwpguy, As I stated above, the 993s in my price range may be a little rougher and with higher miles. On the other hand, The numbers you quoted don't sound too bad. Shoot, I almost pay that with the GTI. Thanks for posting, that info should help greatly.

AnAllOutRacer, I had once thought about the 951, but they are lacking the safety items I need. If I were looking for more toy than driver, it would be on my list of must sees.
My GTI is a '95 which I bought new. It is milking me dry with upkeep. Warrenty replaced the motor twice due to a spun bearing. I've also replaced the AC compressor due to a seized pully, various pullies and serpentine belts. Electrically, I've done the gauge pod, window regulators and various grounding wires. The car is now showing as much rust as my 914, though it doesn't have the holes. I'm tired of dropping $500-$1500 for every visit to the dealer, and I don't trust outside mechanics with this car. I also own a '96 Passat TDI (the wife's). It too has way too many issues. Mechanically it's much better, but electrically, it too is a PITA. Also, the paint is about the same quality as budget American cars. I sold these cars for three years and know a lot about them. With that knowledge, I won't buy another. Too bad too, because they are fun affordable cars. Leasing is the only way to go with VW though.

Maybe I need to get a reality check. I may be trying to get too much for too little.

Thanks,
+Quote Post
fuch toy
post May 20 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #19

Unregistered

Get a low mileage SC....zoom it up with a 3.6 engine transplant...be the envy of your friends.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
need4speed
post May 20 2003, 09:36 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 564

I have a buddy who just bought a Nissan Murano.

I drove it. It's damn nice. I wanna get that sucker up on jackstands to see if I could shoehorn that CVT into my Ghia. . .
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 07:48 PM