Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Alternators and Starter Motors, advice and ideas required
Crawf
post Jan 23 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 171

I'm ultimately looking to do a 4 to 6 upgrade, on my '75 2.0, bearing this in mind I'm looking at the best way of sorting the below.

Currently I'm having issues with my starter motor and alternator that require them being reconditioned, replaced or upgraded. I think I'm right in saying that a useful upgrade is to replace the existing starter with a 911 unit - does anyone know the part number for this unit? Is it also possible to upgrade the alternator in anyway to a 911 unit or is it not compatible with a type 4.

Thanks

Crawf
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Dave_Darling
post Jan 23 2003, 12:01 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you're going for anything less than a 3.0 Six motor, then you can get an early 911 starter (something that fits the 69 911 should work fine) and it should bolt up to either application. I think you'll be OK with anything that fits into a 901 gearbox, come to think of it, as the "converter" flywheels are made for the 901. If you go to a 915 gearbox then you may need a different starter; I'm not really sure.

There are gear-reduction starters that are more powerful and lighter, but more expensive. If you get one for a 914, it should work fine with any setup using the 901 gearbox.

The alternators are not compatible.

--DD
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 23 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Any 911 starter from 1974 until 1987 will work. The distance from the bellhousing to the ring gear never changed from the first 911 up until the 87 (could have gone farther, but that is all I recall)

I personally use a Bosch starter from a 80 SC. It will turn over everything (even V8 Chevy engines for about 6 months)

A Bosch SR17x is the 4cyl and the SR68X is the 911 from 74-87.

B
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 24 2003, 01:00 AM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

On my old 911 and my current 914, I went to the SR68X ("Carrera") starter with an Optima red-top batttery. Cleaned up / replaced all the ground points and the main + cable(s).

Wow, night and day difference. The mild hot-start problems completely disappeared. Now the car cranks like a banshee and fires immediately. Dash lights and headlights are nice and bright too -- good grounds and a fresh optima make a big difference.
+Quote Post
Crawf
post Jan 24 2003, 02:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 171

911 starter motor it is then, I've spoken to my local generic auto store and they don't recognise SR68X - they said the bosch part code would be about 10 digits. I'll phone one of the 911 independent places and see what I can come up with. The alternator will go in to be reconditioned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Campbell CJ - I have just got an Optima orange top and a battery cut off switch to deal with starting and to handle my immobiliser when the car is parked in the garage.

Cheers for the info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Crawf
+Quote Post
tryan
post Jan 24 2003, 10:20 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 184

i would send your old ones out for a rebuild if possible. there is a vw-porche cross reference floating around the web. i would see is there are any 225 flywheels/12 volt in the vw parts bin. mucho cheaper.

try john walker from the pp board. he seems to know everything.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 24 2003, 02:48 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

The bus 228mm flywheel bolts right on and uses a larger pressure plate and disc, but what does he gain by doing this ?? The VW BUS,Type 3 automatic and VW bug autostick all used the same starter as the 914. The internal dimensions changed on the flywheel not the ring gear. The 901/915/930/G50 all use the same size ring gear.

I'm wondering if your holding back a secret on us ??? Ok.. give it up. Seriously. I run the gear reduction starters on the V8 conversions cars with the BUS flywheel (228) only to get more surface area to handle the extra Torque and HP.

B
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 24 2003, 03:29 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

How do you deal with the pilot bearing when you use a Bus flywheel?

--DD
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 24 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Read my post: "It bolts right on". I didnt say it would work. I buy them from KEP machined for the pilot roller bearing.

:finger2:

B
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 24 2003, 06:46 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) right back at ya, B!

I did read your post. My question seemed like a natural one to follow your post with.

Heh heh heh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) The funny part is, you're probably on the road down this-a-way and I'll see you in person before you can even read this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 07:02 AM