Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1,7 engine, What to do with it
DavidSweden
post Sep 5 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

I have the chance to pick up a 1,7 engine for about $300, its seems like a pity to pass it over but I am wondering what I can do with it. The engine in my car is a 2.0, can I build a stroker from the 1,7 or use it in some other way or just use it for spares?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 13)
jimkelly
post Sep 5 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I believe 1.7 can be machined top accept 1.8 and 2.0 heads and cylinders. 1.7 at least is d jet like your 2.0. could be a back up motor with slightly less hp. though exhaust would be different too.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Sep 5 2015, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 5 2015, 07:29 AM) *

I have the chance to pick up a 1,7 engine for about $300, its seems like a pity to pass it over but I am wondering what I can do with it. The engine in my car is a 2.0, can I build a stroker from the 1,7 or use it in some other way or just use it for spares?

My 2316 is built on a 1.7 case, 80mm crank and 96mm p&c's. Just clearance the case a bit for the crank. The real money is in the Hoffman heads and intake & exhaust so it breathes well. Puts down 165hp at the wheels....hang on!
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 5 2015, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

IIRC, all cases are the same dimensions.

In fact I believe that Jake said he prefers the 1.7s for a fresh build.
Dont remember why but guessing that they just have not been abused as much as a larger motor?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 5 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 5 2015, 02:43 PM) *

Dont remember why but guessing that they just have not been abused as much as a larger motor?

Jake told me the early 1.7 was better metal and less stressed/overheated. His choice for the hi po builds.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 5 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 5 2015, 11:29 AM) *

1,7 engine, What to do with it

Doorstop

Boat Anchor

Step stool

+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 5 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #7

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

I don't know about Sweden but here in america most 914 owners DON'T drive their cars. for many, it is because they don't have a running engine. I say and decent 1.7 is far better than a non running engine. while 2.0 is probably better, it is not better by enough to look down on a 1.7.

that said, to me, a 1.7 can be awesome, see this thread, which made a 1.7 and awesome motor in my book.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54&hl=turbo
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 5 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I've got several 1.7's and 1.8's. I'd buy any running engine for 300. I put many many miles on a 94mm piston 1.7. It was a hoot to drive. Low end torque is awesome. Boat anchor? Not!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 5 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 5 2015, 01:31 PM) *

I don't know about Sweden but here in america most 914 owners DON'T drive their cars. for many, it is because they don't have a running engine. I say and decent 1.7 is far better than a non running engine. while 2.0 is probably better, it is not better by enough to look down on a 1.7.

that said, to me, a 1.7 can be awesome, see this thread, which made a 1.7 and awesome motor in my book.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54&hl=turbo

^this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Earlier in the year I picked up a dead 1.7 for free so I'd have something to rebuild....(ran at one time, just been sitting for a long time) and recently I bought a very low mileage rebuilt 1.7 from MarkD that I hope to have in the car within the next 6 months.

There are people that still want/need them...
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 6 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 5 2015, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 5 2015, 02:43 PM) *

Jake told me the early 1.7 was better metal and less stressed/overheated. His choice for the hi po builds.

Search "1911 stroker". Lots of good reading. I believe that's where I've read those comments by Jake. I have two 1.7's sitting on the shelf for future use.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 6 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The cases are all the same, so if you've ever thought about building a different, or fresh motor, you could pick this up as a platform to build off of.

1911 is a stock 1.7 crank (66mm stroke) with big-bore 96mm pistons (stock is 90). These can be really fun motors, comparable to a stock 2.0.

There are no stroker cranks that would work with the other 1.7 components. If you replace the crank and rods, you've got the whole world of engine size possibilities open to you.

And then there's always the turbo option... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Sep 6 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,426

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2015, 08:05 AM) *

The cases are all the same, so if you've ever thought about building a different, or fresh motor, you could pick this up as a platform to build off of.

1911 is a stock 1.7 crank (66mm stroke) with big-bore 96mm pistons (stock is 90). These can be really fun motors, comparable to a stock 2.0.

There are no stroker cranks that would work with the other 1.7 components. If you replace the crank and rods, you've got the whole world of engine size possibilities open to you.

And then there's always the turbo option... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Mark,
I like your new avatar showing the transition to your new place. Are you all packed?

Dave
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Sep 6 2015, 10:34 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2015, 07:05 AM) *

McMark,

Questions:
Is it just a case of boring out the existing cylinders and installing the 96 Pistons and then reusing the existing rods and heads (heads modified to take larger cylinders)?
What about the FI is it best to go with a modern ECU?

Thanks
+Quote Post
Kraftwerk
post Sep 6 2015, 10:45 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,085

My 1.7 engine is peppy and has good throttle response, great street engine. "Low end torque is awesome." so true. Top-end lacks a bit over 80 mph up steep hills, but sometimes lots of power over 80mph, is, well , pricey.. I got that in my M3 and then there are speeding tickets to worry about.

Getting a second 1.7 engine, soon, barter situation, & fingers crossed it's a 1911.
Happy to have a spare engine in my kitchen, just in case. Will post a picture when I get it.

Keep in mind a stock 1.7 engine is only 8 hp less than a stock 2.0.

Us 1.7 owners should start our own secret club. Shhhhhhh!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 09:32 AM