Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hershey - April 16, 2016 - Mid-Engine Invasion
stevegm
post Nov 18 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

I know it is early. But, in working with the PCA on their 914 calendar ad, I talked to them about letting us park all of the 914s in the concours corral (even though if they are not in the concours). They have agreed to let us have our own area in there to park (we just have to give them a list of cars 10 days in advance).

With that in mind, I was thinking about doing a mini-914 show there, with some awards and all, and having the dinner on Saturday night, after the Swap Meet. What do you think? We would still do the drive on Friday.

WHO'S COMING?
struckn
Big Len
mepstein
stevegm
somd914
saigon71
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
struckn
post Nov 18 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 18 2015, 07:50 AM) *

I know it is early. But, in working with the PCA on their 914 calendar ad, I talked to them about letting us park all of the 914s in the concours corral (even though if they are not in the concours). They have agreed to let us have our own area in there to park (we just have to give them a list of cars 10 days in advance).

With that in mind, I was thinking about doing a mini-914 show there, with some awards and all, and having the dinner on Saturday night, after the Swap Meet. What do you think? We would still do the drive on Friday.

Fantastic Steve, thanks for doing this! It will make 2016 the best ever gathering for us at the Swap Meet. I'm in for sure, and really looking forward to being there.

Doug,
from Shrewsbury/ New Freedom, Pa.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Nov 18 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Steve - I've entered my car in the show corral (it's really a People's Choice award) the last two years. That area is pretty big with lots of space, so it can be done. But would the 914 group come up off as segregating itself from the rest of the show? Why not simply add cars to the regular show? Also, if a 914 owner is not on this site, how would they know to join this group?

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 18 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 18 2015, 07:52 PM) *

Steve - I've entered my car in the show corral (it's really a People's Choice award) the last two years. That area is pretty big with lots of space, so it can be done. But would the 914 group come up off as segregating itself from the rest of the show? Why not simply add cars to the regular show? Also, if a 914 owner is not on this site, how would they know to join this group?

You might be right. I agree that we don't want to separate ourselves from the other Porsches too much. I was just thinking that many of us might assume that we have to do the concours, and the hassel of all that, or that the car isn't concours material (so to speak), etc.. This way, all the 914s can park there. Just an idea.

Do they let any cars sign up for the show? I didn't realize that it isn't a full concours. Maybe the thing to do is get all the teeners to sign up for the regular show, like you suggested.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 18 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I'm buying 8 spaces in the swap for our shop so I'm happy to get more for the 914 group. And the guys who just have a couple parts to sell but don't want a space are welcome to drop parts at our shop space.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 18 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 09:14 PM) *

I'm buying 8 spaces in the swap for our shop so I'm happy to get more for the 914 group. And the guys who just have a couple parts to sell but don't want a space are welcome to drop parts at our shop space.

Thanks for doing this again this year. I'll take at least 1 space, maybe 2.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 18 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,741

I'll be there, probably for Friday's drive/dinner and the swap meet, but probably not for Saturday night events.

As for parking together, I like the idea, but I'm not sure the concourse corral is the place - perhaps have a reserved block in the general Porsche corral.

But either way, I appreciate your efforts with coordinating our Hershey activities! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 18 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 18 2015, 10:10 PM) *

I'll be there, probably for Friday's drive/dinner and the swap meet, but probably not for Saturday night events.

As for parking together, I like the idea, but I'm not sure the concourse corral is the place - perhaps have a reserved block in the general Porsche corral.

But either way, I appreciate your efforts with coordinating our Hershey activities! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You make a good point. Come to think of it, I asked about being in the councours area, and when they got back with me, I think the words they used were they could put us together "near the concours," if we wanted. So, I don't think we would be in the actual concours area.
+Quote Post
auerbach
post Nov 18 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #9

Lee David Auerbach, Esq

Member No.: 7,947

Do we have a date yet?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 18 2015, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

In the past we did get promised reserve parking but it did not materialize as promised.
They parked about 20 of us over at the very end of the parking lot as far away from the swap meet as possible.

I suggest that in the spirit of mid engine invasion, and it's original intent, we ALL sign up for the concourse and invade it with 914,s.
Otherwise I suspect we will once again be strategically forgotten or placed off to the side and the impact will be lost as they intend.

An invasion was the original idea, and we did it.
It was the most 914,s ever to show up together and we have kept up the event, but may need to re-invigorate the spirit of the NARP aura we all are proud to be a part of.

Rich
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Nov 19 2015, 02:18 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) MY birthday ...the 16th
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Nov 19 2015, 05:42 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2015, 11:30 PM) *

In the past we did get promised reserve parking but it did not materialize as promised.
They parked about 20 of us over at the very end of the parking lot as far away from the swap meet as possible.

I suggest that in the spirit of mid engine invasion, and it's original intent, we ALL sign up for the concourse and invade it with 914,s.
Otherwise I suspect we will once again be strategically forgotten or placed off to the side and the impact will be lost as they intend.

It was the most 914,s ever to show up together and we have kept up the event, but may need to re-invigorate the spirit of the NARP aura we all are proud to be a part of.

Rich

That thought crossed my mind too Rich. Maybe they would think, "The 914 guys want their own show. Good, 'cause now we can stick them in left field where they belong." The show is a bit silly because last year, the mid engine award went to a brand new Cayman GTS. But the show corral area is ideally situated because it's right next to the bathrooms and the food vendors. To me and Linda, the best part of last year was the rally and seeing all you guys. The rest is secondary.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Nov 19 2015, 07:07 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

I haven't ever been...

Where do they hold the event?

Specifically what parking lots do they use? Is it actually in Hershey?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 19 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2015, 08:07 AM) *

I haven't ever been...

Where do they hold the event?

Specifically what parking lots do they use? Is it actually in Hershey?

In the Hershey park, parking lot. You must come. It's a blast.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 19 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2015, 11:30 PM) *

Rich

Great point. I didn't know that happened. Maybe we should just push to get as many people to participate in the concours as possible. Then we know we won't be put off to the side. Did you all do awards within the 914 group?
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 19 2015, 09:56 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

I'll be there.

Thanks for taking the lead on planning again Steve! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 19 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Bob has offered to help plan the Friday rally/drive again. We are wondering what everyone thought of the length this past year. IIRC we started at about 1:00 pm and ended at about 6:00 pm at the restaurant. Was it about the right length? Too short? Too long?

As an aside, I thought we might be able to pay a "visit" to one or more people in the Challenge, as a part of the drive. But, the closest one is about 1.5 hours away, in Philadelphia.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 19 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 19 2015, 01:54 PM) *

Bob has offered to help plan the Friday rally/drive again. We are wondering what everyone thought of the length this past year. IIRC we started at about 1:00 pm and ended at about 6:00 pm at the restaurant. Was it about the right length? Too short? Too long?

As an aside, I thought we might be able to pay a "visit" to one or more people in the Challenge, as a part of the drive. But, the closest one is about 1.5 hours away, in Philadelphia.

Way too long. I would say drive should be 2 hours max and the rest for socializing. And that's no dig to Bob from last years drive, he did a great job.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Nov 19 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

Start it later for people arriving in from out of town. if it started at 4 more people could attend.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 19 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2015, 02:56 PM) *

Start it later for people arriving in from out of town. if it started at 4 more people could attend.

One idea would be to start at about the same time, but, have a location and time about halfway through that late comers could join.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:18 PM