Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey - April 16, 2016 - Mid-Engine Invasion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
stevegm
I know it is early. But, in working with the PCA on their 914 calendar ad, I talked to them about letting us park all of the 914s in the concours corral (even though if they are not in the concours). They have agreed to let us have our own area in there to park (we just have to give them a list of cars 10 days in advance).

With that in mind, I was thinking about doing a mini-914 show there, with some awards and all, and having the dinner on Saturday night, after the Swap Meet. What do you think? We would still do the drive on Friday.

WHO'S COMING?
struckn
Big Len
mepstein
stevegm
somd914
saigon71
struckn
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 18 2015, 07:50 AM) *

I know it is early. But, in working with the PCA on their 914 calendar ad, I talked to them about letting us park all of the 914s in the concours corral (even though if they are not in the concours). They have agreed to let us have our own area in there to park (we just have to give them a list of cars 10 days in advance).

With that in mind, I was thinking about doing a mini-914 show there, with some awards and all, and having the dinner on Saturday night, after the Swap Meet. What do you think? We would still do the drive on Friday.

Fantastic Steve, thanks for doing this! It will make 2016 the best ever gathering for us at the Swap Meet. I'm in for sure, and really looking forward to being there.

Doug,
from Shrewsbury/ New Freedom, Pa.

aktion035.gif
Big Len
Steve - I've entered my car in the show corral (it's really a People's Choice award) the last two years. That area is pretty big with lots of space, so it can be done. But would the 914 group come up off as segregating itself from the rest of the show? Why not simply add cars to the regular show? Also, if a 914 owner is not on this site, how would they know to join this group?

stevegm
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 18 2015, 07:52 PM) *

Steve - I've entered my car in the show corral (it's really a People's Choice award) the last two years. That area is pretty big with lots of space, so it can be done. But would the 914 group come up off as segregating itself from the rest of the show? Why not simply add cars to the regular show? Also, if a 914 owner is not on this site, how would they know to join this group?

You might be right. I agree that we don't want to separate ourselves from the other Porsches too much. I was just thinking that many of us might assume that we have to do the concours, and the hassel of all that, or that the car isn't concours material (so to speak), etc.. This way, all the 914s can park there. Just an idea.

Do they let any cars sign up for the show? I didn't realize that it isn't a full concours. Maybe the thing to do is get all the teeners to sign up for the regular show, like you suggested.
mepstein
I'm buying 8 spaces in the swap for our shop so I'm happy to get more for the 914 group. And the guys who just have a couple parts to sell but don't want a space are welcome to drop parts at our shop space.
stevegm
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 09:14 PM) *

I'm buying 8 spaces in the swap for our shop so I'm happy to get more for the 914 group. And the guys who just have a couple parts to sell but don't want a space are welcome to drop parts at our shop space.

Thanks for doing this again this year. I'll take at least 1 space, maybe 2.
somd914
I'll be there, probably for Friday's drive/dinner and the swap meet, but probably not for Saturday night events.

As for parking together, I like the idea, but I'm not sure the concourse corral is the place - perhaps have a reserved block in the general Porsche corral.

But either way, I appreciate your efforts with coordinating our Hershey activities! beerchug.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 18 2015, 10:10 PM) *

I'll be there, probably for Friday's drive/dinner and the swap meet, but probably not for Saturday night events.

As for parking together, I like the idea, but I'm not sure the concourse corral is the place - perhaps have a reserved block in the general Porsche corral.

But either way, I appreciate your efforts with coordinating our Hershey activities! beerchug.gif

You make a good point. Come to think of it, I asked about being in the councours area, and when they got back with me, I think the words they used were they could put us together "near the concours," if we wanted. So, I don't think we would be in the actual concours area.
auerbach
Do we have a date yet?
r_towle
In the past we did get promised reserve parking but it did not materialize as promised.
They parked about 20 of us over at the very end of the parking lot as far away from the swap meet as possible.

I suggest that in the spirit of mid engine invasion, and it's original intent, we ALL sign up for the concourse and invade it with 914,s.
Otherwise I suspect we will once again be strategically forgotten or placed off to the side and the impact will be lost as they intend.

An invasion was the original idea, and we did it.
It was the most 914,s ever to show up together and we have kept up the event, but may need to re-invigorate the spirit of the NARP aura we all are proud to be a part of.

Rich
oldschool
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif MY birthday ...the 16th
Big Len
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2015, 11:30 PM) *

In the past we did get promised reserve parking but it did not materialize as promised.
They parked about 20 of us over at the very end of the parking lot as far away from the swap meet as possible.

I suggest that in the spirit of mid engine invasion, and it's original intent, we ALL sign up for the concourse and invade it with 914,s.
Otherwise I suspect we will once again be strategically forgotten or placed off to the side and the impact will be lost as they intend.

It was the most 914,s ever to show up together and we have kept up the event, but may need to re-invigorate the spirit of the NARP aura we all are proud to be a part of.

Rich

That thought crossed my mind too Rich. Maybe they would think, "The 914 guys want their own show. Good, 'cause now we can stick them in left field where they belong." The show is a bit silly because last year, the mid engine award went to a brand new Cayman GTS. But the show corral area is ideally situated because it's right next to the bathrooms and the food vendors. To me and Linda, the best part of last year was the rally and seeing all you guys. The rest is secondary.
dflesburg
I haven't ever been...

Where do they hold the event?

Specifically what parking lots do they use? Is it actually in Hershey?
mepstein
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2015, 08:07 AM) *

I haven't ever been...

Where do they hold the event?

Specifically what parking lots do they use? Is it actually in Hershey?

In the Hershey park, parking lot. You must come. It's a blast.
stevegm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2015, 11:30 PM) *

Rich

Great point. I didn't know that happened. Maybe we should just push to get as many people to participate in the concours as possible. Then we know we won't be put off to the side. Did you all do awards within the 914 group?
saigon71
I'll be there.

Thanks for taking the lead on planning again Steve! beerchug.gif

stevegm
Bob has offered to help plan the Friday rally/drive again. We are wondering what everyone thought of the length this past year. IIRC we started at about 1:00 pm and ended at about 6:00 pm at the restaurant. Was it about the right length? Too short? Too long?

As an aside, I thought we might be able to pay a "visit" to one or more people in the Challenge, as a part of the drive. But, the closest one is about 1.5 hours away, in Philadelphia.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 19 2015, 01:54 PM) *

Bob has offered to help plan the Friday rally/drive again. We are wondering what everyone thought of the length this past year. IIRC we started at about 1:00 pm and ended at about 6:00 pm at the restaurant. Was it about the right length? Too short? Too long?

As an aside, I thought we might be able to pay a "visit" to one or more people in the Challenge, as a part of the drive. But, the closest one is about 1.5 hours away, in Philadelphia.

Way too long. I would say drive should be 2 hours max and the rest for socializing. And that's no dig to Bob from last years drive, he did a great job.
dflesburg
Start it later for people arriving in from out of town. if it started at 4 more people could attend.

stevegm
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 19 2015, 02:56 PM) *

Start it later for people arriving in from out of town. if it started at 4 more people could attend.

One idea would be to start at about the same time, but, have a location and time about halfway through that late comers could join.
rgolia
I am in and will follow the crowd, whatever you guys want to do works for me. Last year was great and the ride was a blast. Shorten the ride, meet late comers at a mid point, take over the concours area....all sound great to me.
r_towle
Steve, they really try hard to NOT make it a 914 area, so the concours would in my opinion be funny.

If you recall the show layout, we were given about 20 slots, far right, all against the street, and we had nearly 40 cars...

I would suggest we invade the concours and do a fun run rally that you guys design.
Personally, we leave at noon and can make dinner if it's late enough...like 6 pm or later.

Rich
somd914
Couple thoughts...

As for the duration of the drive, don't forget that we spent an hour or so of that with the lunch and then time at two check points. Actual drive time was likely in the three hour range. But it did get rushed to make it in time for dinner.

Perhaps a drive after the swap meet would make sense given those who can't make it by early Friday afternoon.

As for the swap meet and the show, I agree with Big Len, the drive and social events are better than the swap meet (which seems to have fewer vendors each year). Think I'll have to be faster on the planning and get a room at the Knight's Inn and partake in the parking lot party Friday night...

Another thought is if we can't get some sort of reserved parking, get together for coffee Saturday morning and caravan over together as a group, thus park together. Granted not everyone would join in, but it's a potential option.

- Scott
MMW
The term concours is misleading, it is a peoples choice only. I forget the cost of it but you pay to enter the general parking area first & then just tell them you are entering the show. After being directed to the show parking you then register at the show table & pay $5?? I think. All voting is peoples choice. I think it would be neat to see all the 914s lined up in their division.

I thought dinner was great. Thanks to all who let me & my son tag along.
Big Len
Might be fun to combine several suggestions previously posted -

With 18 weeks to go:

Skip lunch and start the fun run a little later, maybe 2:30, giving extra time to people traveling and checking in. Can still have a 2-3 hour ride with photo stops.

Stop for dinner instead of lunch. Don't forget the daylight is much longer in mid April.

Friday night is for typical Knight's Inn debauchery.

Guarantee the PCA at least 7 914's will register for the show, then petition them to have a separate catagory for 914s. 356's don't show in the same catagory as 996's, why should 914's compete with Boxsters and Caymans?

Everyone who brings a 914 should register for the show, taking up a big chunk of the show field. The beauty of the People's Choice is you don't have to sit there waiting for the judge's arrival. Park the car and go.

Saturday morning can have a breakfast meet with caravan to Hershey.

Thoughts?
rgolia
Len, I like the plan. Count me in. Happy New Year to all. beerchug.gif
AndyB
Still on the fence. Going to wait and see what the Dr says about the knee.
stevegm
QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 29 2015, 10:51 PM) *

With 18 weeks to go:

Skip lunch and start the fun run a little later, maybe 2:30, giving extra time to people traveling and checking in. Can still have a 2-3 hour ride with photo stops.

Stop for dinner instead of lunch. Don't forget the daylight is much longer in mid April.

Guarantee the PCA at least 7 914's will register for the show, then petition them to have a separate catagory for 914s. 356's don't show in the same catagory as 996's, why should 914's compete with Boxsters and Caymans?

Everyone who brings a 914 should register for the show, taking up a big chunk of the show field. The beauty of the People's Choice is you don't have to sit there waiting for the judge's arrival. Park the car and go.

Thoughts?

Good ideas. This is similar to what we have in mind. Plus a Saturday evening dinner.

I hadn't considered the drive that spanned across dinner Friday. Interesting idea because it may allow more people to participate. What does everyone think of that?
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 30 2015, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 29 2015, 10:51 PM) *

With 18 weeks to go:

Thoughts?

Good ideas. This is similar to what we have in mind. Plus a Saturday evening dinner.

I hadn't considered the drive that spanned across dinner Friday. Interesting idea because it may allow more people to participate. What does everyone think of that?

After dinner I'm driving the 1 mile to my motel. biggrin.gif
914forme
Okay on the calendar, car will not be anywhere near done, but it could make that last run of parts.
GaroldShaffer
I (and Brad Mayeur) will be there with the Big truck & trailer full of 914 crap I mean valuable parts. So We would be looking for two open seats for the fun drives and lunch / dinner.
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 30 2015, 12:55 PM) *

I (and Brad Mayeur) will be there with the Big truck & trailer full of 914 crap I mean valuable parts. So We would be looking for two open seats for the fun drives and lunch / dinner.

I'll probably have an extra seat and of course either of you guys are welcome to ride. I think it would be fun to trade passengers around and have more time to talk to everyone.
Amphicar770
Put me down as a definite maybe. I hope to attend but hard to plan out that far with 100% certainty.
stevegm
I was thinking it would be cool to visit someone in the Build-Off Challenge on the Friday drive. But, the closest one looks to be about 1 1/2 hours away from Hershey.
struckn

Count me in for Friday and Saturday where ever we meet, park, drive or eat at.

driving.gif
BeatNavy
It's penciled in on my calendar. I'd really like to be able to make it for once and meet some more of the regional 914 crowd. Life has a tendency to get in the way, but I'm bumping it up on my list of priorities...
r_towle
Too much snow to get over until I can think about this.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 30 2015, 06:45 PM) *

come on Rich...no snow this year; haven't you heard of global warming and El Nino! I'm still working on the 914's with the garage doors open flag.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 31 2015, 09:53 AM) *

come on Rich...no snow this year; haven't you heard of global warming and El Nino! I'm still working on the 914's with the garage doors open flag.gif

Ok Ray I call bs.gif biggrin.gif
rmital
QUOTE(AndyB @ Dec 31 2015, 10:28 AM) *

I have the damage to prove it...hopefully spending the second half of today fixing it... driving.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif huh.gif laugh.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 31 2015, 11:46 AM) *

I have the damage to prove it...hopefully spending the second half of today fixing it... driving.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif huh.gif laugh.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
iankarr
Count me in!

oakpark
I'm coming from Chicago, with my two sons, so the 914 is staying at home, and we'll be in a rental car. That said, we'll look for everyone in the corral.
Shadowfax
Would love to attend but it's an 18-hour drive from here. Maybe next year when I have some more vacation days.
rmital
QUOTE(AndyB @ Dec 31 2015, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 31 2015, 11:46 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Why I asked in another thread about proper lug size. Lost a wheel, not sure if not tourqued properly or bad lug. Happened at slow if barely moving speed. Only damage was dust guard and fender.
Zippy69
Will be there with gas can.

Paul aktion035.gif
Zippy69
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jan 3 2016, 03:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Jan 3 2016, 02:39 AM) *

Will be there with gas can.

Paul aktion035.gif

What was in that thing Moonshine finger.gif

Classified ingredients
stevegm
I just wanted to give everybody an update.

We will have final dinner and hotel info available this coming week. We have been trying to find a venue for the dinner, which we would like to move to Saturday night, after the swap meet. We will do some awards, etc. at the dinner (after the swap meet concours). The drive will be on Friday beginning at about 1 pm, and will have a known route and stop-offs so late-comers can join later if they want.

The thing that has complicated it a bit is that the group is fairly large now. Last year we had over 50 people for dinner on Friday. And we were in a section of the restaurant that only had room for 45. So, the group has reached a size that is really too large to "crash" a restaurant. So we have been looking for meeting rooms where we can have a dinner. We have narrowed it down to Hometown Restaurant and What if (located in the Howard Johnsons). In both places, the dinner will cost around $20 per person. So, we will need a good head count.

If anyone has any comments about these two venues, we would love to hear them before we finalize the plans.
jfort
I am going to try to attend.
stevegm
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jan 8 2016, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jan 8 2016, 01:41 PM) *

I just wanted to give everybody an update.

We will have final dinner and hotel info available this coming week. We have been trying to find a venue for the dinner, which we would like to move to Saturday night, after the swap meet. We will do some awards, etc. at the dinner (after the swap meet concours). The drive will be on Friday beginning at about 1 pm, and will have a known route and stop-offs so late-comers can join later if they want.

The thing that has complicated it a bit is that the group is fairly large now. Last year we had over 50 people for dinner on Friday. And we were in a section of the restaurant that only had room for 45. So, the group has reached a size that is really too large to "crash" a restaurant. So we have been looking for meeting rooms where we can have a dinner. We have narrowed it down to Hometown Restaurant and What if (located in the Howard Johnsons). In both places, the dinner will cost around $20 per person. So, we will need a good head count.

If anyone has any comments about these two venues, we would love to hear them before we finalize the plans.

We could do al fresco dinning Shakedown BBQ on Firehouse Rd near 81. Damn good BBQ not like HotShoe's but for PA its tops.

Thx. I will look into that. We are going to "crash" a restaurant Friday night after the drive (smaller group). On Saturday we need a larger room.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.