Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Welding Helmets, Good equipment for a weekend warrior.
PlantMan
post Dec 14 2015, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,352
Region Association: Southern California

Ladies and Gents,

Need recommendations on good helmets. This is something I will be using on the weekend when working on the car and other projects, not for everyday use. I am sure my kids will be using it too so offer up any suggestions on equipment you would require your kids to wear.
I have a cheap helmet which would probably be fine for quick tasks but want to insure the safety of others too.

Much appreciated.

Kevin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
tomrev
post Dec 14 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

[quote name='PlantMan' date='Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM' post='2277088']
Ladies and Gents,

Need recommendations on good helmets. This is something I will be using on the weekend when working on the car and other projects, not for everyday use. I am sure my kids will be using it too so offer up any suggestions on equipment you would require your kids to wear.
I have a cheap helmet which would probably be fine for quick tasks but want to insure the safety of others too.

I wanted to try an auto darkening helmet, after 25 years with a regular hood, so first tried a cheap Harbor Freight one, for around $40. It worked so well, I am still using it, and have had it about 5 years now.
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Dec 14 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,221

Just bought a Miller 251292 on Amazon for under $90. Haven't used it yet but it is rated pretty good for a inexpensive helmet
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 14 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(PlantMan @ Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

I tell all my students re welding ppe is to you get what you pay for.. I have used Jackson nexgen for the last 10 or so years and have tried many different brands.. I think though for you a harbor freight helmet would be fine.. However if you are going to do allot of welding expect to pay 200 plus for something that lasts. Miller, Jackson, speedglass, lincoln, Hobart are all really good brands
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 14 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

[quote name='mb911' date='Dec 14 2015, 01:20 PM' post='2277114']
[quote name='PlantMan' post='2277088' date='Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM']
Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

[/quote]

I tell all my students re welding ppe is to you get what you pay for.. I have used Jackson nexgen for the last 10 or so years and have tried many different brands.. I think though for you a harbor freight helmet would be fine.. However if you are going to do allot of welding expect to pay 200 plus for something that lasts. Miller, Jackson, speedglass, lincoln, Hobart are all really good brands
[/quot

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm a skier and used to be a National Patroller many years ago.

A Dad skied up to me and asked where he could get cheap helmet for his son.

I asked him how expensive his son.s head was.

+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Dec 14 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #6

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

I only weld as a hobby and use the Miller helmet costing $89.00 and is just fine for mig-welding; oxy-accel, Tig, and plasma cutters require something more on "the dark side". I would buy something that will meet your welding desires at present and future, whether you will be involved with foxy-accel, Tig, or plasma cutters.

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 14 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #7

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought a lightly used Speedglas SL off CL years ago. Definitely not the cheapest, but not what I would consider expensive considering what it protects. Get a good helmet. You don't want to necessarily shop price alone with a welding helmet and Speedglas is what I consider the industry standard. This is the one I have and highly recommend:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.bakersgas.com-9730-1450128701.1.jpg)

http://www.bakersgas.com/NAS711-05-0013-41...CFc2Cfgod3RIMEQ
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 14 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #8

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I have one of the more entry level Speedglass helmets (can't remember the model off the top of my head) and really like it. I've used some $100-150 helmets from Miller/Lincoln and liked them just fine as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 14 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

the better helmuts have 4 sensors and the less expensive ones have 2. i have a low end 2 sensor speedglas and many guys here use it and like it. i think it was about $150 on ebay.

it is this one and there was a rebate at the time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-07-0012-31IH-Sp...AYAAOSwEgVWSncW
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 14 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I agree with the others. If you wear glasses be sure that your new helmet will accept lenses. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby w/ a set of 1.75 lenses last year and am quite pleased with it. I used a Harbor Freight one previously. Although ample, I wish I had gone with the Miller 5 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
budk
post Dec 14 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #11

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 14 2015, 05:12 PM) *

I agree with the others. If you wear glasses be sure that your new helmet will accept lenses. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby w/ a set of 1.75 lenses last year and am quite pleased with it. I used a Harbor Freight one previously. Although ample, I wish I had gone with the Miller 5 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I did the exact same thing, upgraded to Miller Pro after using a HF one for years. I can see much better out of the Miller, I never get eye strain like I did with the HF and the headset is much, much better. I also wish I had done it years ago.

The quality of my welds has improved because in part of the better visibility. I would stick with any major brand in the $100-$200 range. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Dec 14 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

I have the Hobart IMPACT Series, it is significantly better than the cheap Eastwood helmet that came with my welder. More adjustments and allows me to see the spot I am trying to hit. You get what you pay for, spend a little more and enjoy the benefits of a good product, your eyes are very important...protect them.

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 14 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Hf helmet is a great one to have even as a backup. Well worth the $40 when its on sale. Ive been using one at home for years. Used a Prostar for years before it and didnt notice enough of a difference to spend the money on a replacement lense when it came time for it on the prostar.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 14 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(PlantMan @ Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

Speedglass 9100XX I can see what Im welding. Its expensive but your worth it
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 14 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 14 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Hf helmet is a great one to have even as a backup. Well worth the $40 when its on sale. Ive been using one at home for years. Used a Prostar for years before it and didnt notice enough of a difference to spend the money on a replacement lense when it came time for it on the prostar.

I believe this to be true from your perspective, Andrew. Now will you please tell the Silver Haired Jury just how old your eyes are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 14 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Miller Elite with cheater lens so I don't have to wear my glasses when welding.

For MIG I use my old Speedglas which is not suitable for TIG.

I don't mind HF for many items, a welding helmet is not one of them.
+Quote Post
mr914
post Dec 17 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #17

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

Miller or Hobart. The $100-200 variety.

One that use aaa batteries.

I put mine in a pillowcase to keep clean.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Dec 18 2015, 07:43 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I use a nice Lincolin one and I am very happy with it.

I also purchased 2 helmets from Harbor Freight. I tried one and it flashed me so bad I felt it was not usable. This is why I purchased the Lincoln. I later tried the other HF helmet and it worked fine. So if you do get a cheap HF one and it doesn't work, take it back. The difference between the 2 was huge.

Don't leave the helmet in the dark. The solar cells keep the internal batteries charged. I keep mine in the front office where it stays clean and there is plenty of light.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 18 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Dec 18 2015, 05:43 AM) *

I use a nice Lincolin one and I am very happy with it.

I also purchased 2 helmets from Harbor Freight. I tried one and it flashed me so bad I felt it was not usable. This is why I purchased the Lincoln. I later tried the other HF helmet and it worked fine. So if you do get a cheap HF one and it doesn't work, take it back. The difference between the 2 was huge.

Don't leave the helmet in the dark. The solar cells keep the internal batteries charged. I keep mine in the front office where it stays clean and there is plenty of light.

Good point, i have honestly had my HF helmet for 7 years. The ONLY time I get flashed is when the sensor is covered up from being in odd positions. My dad has a HF helmet as well and it works just as well. The viewing area is plenty large and the visibility is plenty good. Again, I prefer it to my ProStar $200 helmet. The biggest issue I have with the HF helmet is the plastic headstrap, it constantly falls apart, but it only takes a little to put back together.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 18 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

For a weekend warrior, I don't think you can go wrong with the HF auto darkening helmet. I've done a lot of welding with mine over the years restoring the teener & have never had a problem.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:58 PM