Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wiper position
Cal
post Jan 6 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

What's the proper position for the windshield wiper arms? Here are two photos of low mileage examples. Do these seem to be positioned relatively high in the windshield.....in the sight line of the driver? My silver 2.0L has them lower but one arm overlaps the decorative frame slightly. Which is correct?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Larmo63
post Jan 6 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Run them how you want them. I have mine set like the red car.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 6 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Or you could do the wiper mod so they park on the passenger side of the window. Or if you don't drive in the rain just take them off.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 7 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Check your Haynes manual. They have a photo with a diagram of how the arms are positioned when parked. There was a measurement of the distance between or angle between the wiper arms, I think.

--DD
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 7 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 6 2016, 07:07 PM) *

What's the proper position for the windshield wiper arms? Here are two photos of low mileage examples. Do these seem to be positioned relatively high in the windshield.....in the sight line of the driver? My silver 2.0L has them lower but one arm overlaps the decorative frame slightly. Which is correct?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-18138-1452135863_thumb.jpg)

Cal -

IIRC there was some issue with one or more batches of the OEM wiper arms being mfgd. a few mm's too long on the DS ones, ergo the overlap in the DS one in your pic above. AFAIR the position you have above is about right, but the wiper blade rubber should just miss the aluminum "chrome" windshield trim. So you may have the wrong length on there.

I think there is a way to adjust the flat arm bit into the "U" shaped base a bit to shorten it by a few mm's to miss, but it may damage the paint.

Also, the R & L were originally different lengths IIRC on mine, so that may be the issue.

Otherwise, run them like the Marathon Blue one which just misses the trim, & appears to be no higher than the instrument pod cowl anyway, if it doesn't bother you.

Another trick - since the arms mount on a toothed shaft that the arms can only engage at those points with its female teeth (that term conjures bad dreams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) - is to manually play around a bit with the tooth positions on the shaft(s) before mounting the motor/arms/shafts (or by uninstalling them) to get the lowest possible DS position without touching the trim.

This is one of those post resto/repaint things that needs to be fine tuned if you had them out for painting. At least your headlights/eyebrows/hood all look well fitted & adjusted!

Both the Haynes & Factory 8 vol. manuals (or CD thereof) have the wiper arm setting, as well as the shaft adjusting procedure in the factory one.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jan 7 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was tired of having the wiper in my field of view so I did the passenger side park mod. Looks a little strange because the of bend on the blade arms, but they are out of the way and don't overlap the chrome trim.
Mine is the green one in the middle of the picture.
Also gives you some reference about how other cars look.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 7 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

Great info.....thanks guys!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:21 AM