Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hate price check post
Coondog
post Jan 13 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Not a big fan when members ask our opinion on what 914 parts are worth. If you really want to know then do 5 minutes of research.

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them. Maybe I am old school but we are all in this for the same reason, which I hope is not making a EBay type profit off each other. I will never meet the 18,000 plus members but if I can offer them a decent part at a realistic price then I will sleep sound at night.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
JoeDees
post Jan 13 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

Full agreement.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 13 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

They're here Craig. And so are "like minded" people. You discover who as time goes on. BTW, that is very fair price you have listed on your FG valance.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 13 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 13 2016, 04:41 PM) *

Not a big fan when members ask our opinion on what 914 parts are worth. If you really want to know then do 5 minutes of research.

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them. Maybe I am old school but we are all in this for the same reason, which I hope is not making a EBay type profit off each other. I will never meet the 18,000 plus members but if I can offer them a decent part at a realistic price then I will sleep sound at night.

You're free to answer or ignore such posts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
post Jan 13 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Okay, very interesting posting. Oh well if someone is inquiring, you have one of two out comes 1) assist with the inquiry 2) don't comment.

Lastly, if you want to offer your parts at a giveaway price point. ...its up to you.
Ps, not everyone is on this forum understand the "market " price of an item.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 13 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I'm just testing the waters...
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 13 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(396 @ Jan 13 2016, 05:17 PM) *
Lastly, if you want to offer your parts at a giveaway price point. ...it up to you.
Ps, not everyone is on this forum understand the "market " price of an item.

I gave away a motor today, hope I didn't ruin the market.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Jan 13 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them.

Can you give us an example of the sky high prices that were posted on some items? I assume everyone who responds to a price check thread has info to back it up. We are all looking for deals on parts and would prefer uninformed sellers to sell to us under the current market value. I find a lot of good deals on Ebay for parts, usually from sellers who don't know the value of what they have.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 13 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I'm not a big fan of these fishing posts either, but what can you do? Guys have cool stuff that they have been holding on to, and they want to sell.

+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Jan 13 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 13 2016, 05:50 PM) *

I think that if you have a part, or parts that you aren't sure about the current value of, ask an expert via PM

Asking via PM or posting a Price Check thread should be the same results, or are you saying price responses to the threads are over inflated? The experts usually respond to the threads anyway right?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 13 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

It's truly market driven for many parts, if the price is inflated, more parts come out and suppress the cost. It's not really that correct until someone pays for it.

I understand that you want a fair market value, but there are those that do just help out too.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 13 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

In all seriousness, there is a little thing people do that really makes it hard for people trying to valuate things. They put something up for sale, and then when it sells they put $SOLD where the price was. So when you do a search months later you find one that sold, only to not know what price it sold at.
So if you sell something, leave the price up, put SOLD SOLD SOLD all over it, but you will greatly help people with a similar part.

Also, a peeve within the peeve, when you email the seller and ask what he sold said part at, they never get back to you, like it's all secret squirrel!
+Quote Post
Sedonut
post Jan 13 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,367
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are a lot of used parts out there, and some rare parts. I think it is fair is someone has something rare, NOS and no longer available to ask what it is worth.

I have stuff that was given to me, and If I don't use it I will give it away also.

It's NOS no longer available, what would you pay for the last new part?
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Jan 13 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,215

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 13 2016, 06:54 PM) *

In all seriousness, there is a little thing people do that really makes it hard for people trying to valuate things. They put something up for sale, and then when it sells they put $SOLD where the price was. So when you do a search months later you find one that sold, only to not know what price it sold at.
So if you sell something, leave the price up, put SOLD SOLD SOLD all over it, but you will greatly help people with a similar part.

Also, a peeve within the peeve, when you email the seller and ask what he sold said part at, they never get back to you, like it's all secret squirrel!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Yes. What's the big secret?

I say it should be like the stock market exchange. Prices posted as they go up and down, market based. Information is a good thing. So are free markets. Unless of course, you are a communist. Then the state owns the information and the markets. But I don't wanna get all political here, IYKWIM!

Peace out.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 13 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I've paid too much for some parts (according to well known members here) and then I've got some great deals from members here so in a way it's kind of a wash for me. I have a good knowledge of what prices are for other car parts and whole cars, but this Porsche thing is new to me even though I can smell a stinky deal a mile away like most of you. I've been able to keep within my modest budget and get everything I've needed so far so I'm good with that. I know I can't afford what some of these sweet rides are going for or even what some members here have into their cars but I can sure build one and be happy about it- that was my plan from the beginning!
Don't get stung out there...
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 13 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I am one of those people that has recently started a price check. I am mad as hell about the intruders that have INVADED the Porsche world. Just look around at the unreal prices on all the web sites for anything marked Porsche. I have done my homework and know what the asking prices are but all of that is worthless because it is what the part sells for in the end. I want to sell my stuff to people at REAL WORLD prices. I have been on the World over 10 years and have been messing around the Porsche world since the 1970's so I can tell you all about the prices. My request are posted in the classified though.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 13 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #17

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you see something that you want to purchase, but you don't like the price, make an offer, if the seller says no, then on to the next.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 13 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,258

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 13 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Amen to that my brother
+Quote Post
72wrxporsche914
post Jan 13 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,697

I've given a lot of parts away just to help people . Not only parts but great deals on cars so they could afford to bring these cars back to life .
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 14 2016, 12:10 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I get into parts, get tired of the hassle, and then stop. My wife will throw a few hundred parts out when I'm gone....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:28 PM