Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> EndPlay Shims
Amphicar770
post Feb 3 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I thought I saw one of the vendors selling a set of crankshaft end-play shims. Do not know if I will actually need them, just thinking ahead for when I put the new clutch and refaced flywheel back in. Do not want to pay $15 a shim for something I may not even need.

Still removing / refinishing all the tins and cleaning up the engine compartment.

Thanks,

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
somd914
post Feb 4 2016, 04:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,741

Resurfacing the face of the flywheel shouldn't affect end play. It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 4 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

you need to measure this before driving. if it is out of spec, you need to re-shim and recheck before putting back on the road. When i did this 2 years ago, it was just slightly off-too much play, my mechanic stopped by my garage to double check it for me( i had borrowed his meter). he said he would not even allow me to drive it to the shop out of spec, it was that important!!! he ordered shims from FAT PERFORMANCE i am pretty sure, and we re-shimmed it, remeasured, all in spec, re-assembled and drove to 2 Octeenerfests since that about 3k miles on it with new rms clutch etc and no issues.

- the shims were expensive several hundred dollars for a handful of them, we used 3 new ones to get it into spec.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Feb 4 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 4 2016, 03:50 AM) *

It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.

Its actually related to how much has the axial thrust bearing surfaces of the main bearings worn. If you have had an engine apart, do you remember the flat sides of the rear main bearing?

left side in this photo:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.ephotomotion.com-10819-1454595048.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
somd914
post Feb 4 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,741

QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 4 2016, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 4 2016, 03:50 AM) *

It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.

Its actually related to how much has the axial thrust bearing surfaces of the main bearings worn. If you have had an engine apart, do you remember the flat sides of the rear main bearing?

left side in this photo:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.ephotomotion.com-10819-1454595048.1.jpg)

Nice shot and thanks for the clarification.

In this particular case, from my understanding but I'm still learning the internals of Type IV's, if the end play is within spec, resurfacing the flywheel will not affect it, but if changing the flywheel, verify end play as this can change due to machining differences on the crank side of the flywheel. Is that a correct statement?

Also if end play is out of spec, at what point should one be concerned about internal wear and head for a rebuild versus shimming? Is this even a valid statement.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 4 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

There is a max that it can be out of spec, if exceeded it should be rebuilt. Some research should get you those numbers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:06 AM