Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What Battery is in your 914?
NS914
post Mar 24 2016, 05:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Hey Everyone,
I was speaking with Jeff Bowlsby yesterday...a great website by the way for all things electrical...but I am about to buy a battery for my car. Can you speak to what battery (and specific model in the case of Optima etc.) you have chosen for your car and why.

I have heard good and bad about Optima (they are very expensive here in Canada) but I want to get the best for my car. I have not truly confirmed the difference between Yellow and Red either just in case anyone can chime in on that.

In my case, I have relocated the battery to the front of the car and really have no power options to speak of in terms of additional load. Its a '74 1.8 which has since been increased to 2.0 with Weber Carbs (dual 40's)

Much thanks to all of you. I promise to post a video when I get this thing going!!!

Grant
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
johannes
post Mar 24 2016, 05:58 AM
Post #2

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

The cheapest 2016 battery is way better than a 1970 one.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2016, 05:58 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Optima red top. 5 years old. Sat in the garage for 4 years then I charged it, put it in the car and it works perfectly.

When I bought my optima at Costco I confirmed that I could bring it back for an exchange or refund if I was ever dissatisfied with it. Without a time limit. Can't really beat that.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 24 2016, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

I've been running an Optima Red Top 34 for a few years now. I know there has been some quality concerns, but mine seems to be holding up well.

A lot of folks seem to be switching to Odyssey dry cell batteries with good results.

If I need a replacement battery, I'll buy whatever is cheaper...Odyssey or Optima. Just stay away from lead-acid.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 24 2016, 06:04 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Optimus 34R; have used it for past 10 years. Starts every time on 1st turn of the key.
BTW, the 34R can be purchased on Amazon for $147 including shipping
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 24 2016, 06:11 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

optima- 2 years. last one was a duralast from autozone, it was not dura- last. lasted about 1 year. -0 ---- so far so good for the optima - yes, expensive. - I put one in the truck and lasted 7 years.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Mar 24 2016, 06:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

I knew you guys would respond quickly....I will head out to Costco at lunch and pick up an Optima.

Thanks Everyone, Grant
+Quote Post
914Next
post Mar 24 2016, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm interested too although the current battery in my car is a Diehard that was purchased in 2006 and well...just won't die! Seems quite strong yet. Of course now that I said that, I'll be needing a new battery
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Mar 24 2016, 07:23 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,718
Region Association: None

Odyssey
my T4 setup...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1315.photobucket.com-15718-1458825802.1.jpg)

My V8 set-up.Bigger Odyssey

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1315.photobucket.com-15718-1458825802.2.jpg)

+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 24 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Optima red top
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Mar 24 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #11

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

Optima red top
+Quote Post
Shredhead
post Mar 24 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,047
Region Association: North East States

Odyssey PC925MJ (metal jacket).
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Mar 24 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,389

Autocraft Lithium-Ion motorcycle battery LFP-4. Weighs 2 pounds and starts the car just fine. I don't know how it would do with radios and extra lights.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 24 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

The 'BB' also has the Odyssey PC925 in the engine bay.
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Mar 24 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,540

Several choices for batteries. However, one important factor is to prevent battery acid (more prevalent in wet, lead-acid batteries), from attacking the sheet metal chassis.

Sealed, AGM batteries (e.g. Optima, Odyssey, etc.) provide the most protection. If using a typical lead-acid battery, enclose it in a plastic Marine battery box or equiv. to keep the acid vapor contained.

Also, when comparing batteries, use the Cold Cranking Amp results (CCA). The highest numbers provide the most cranking capacity (most important in cold climates). All other capacity tests are conducted under milder and/or less stringent test conditions.

Generally speaking, battery capacity is still related to battery weight. A Red Top Optima or equivalent Odyssey, 35-43 lbs. The light weight Odyssey series and others are 11-15 lbs.

Sherwood
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Mar 24 2016, 11:28 AM) *

Autocraft Lithium-Ion motorcycle battery LFP-4. Weighs 2 pounds and starts the car just fine. I don't know how it would do with radios and extra lights.

I was planning to give that a try. I figured moving to lcd lights would reduce the need for a big battery. 30+ lb weight reduction.
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Mar 24 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,080

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 24 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Optimus 34R; have used it for past 10 years. Starts every time on 1st turn of the key.
BTW, the 34R can be purchased on Amazon for $147 including shipping

Is there a specific version of the 34R for the stock 914 location? (Post Orientation)
+Quote Post
stinkindiesel
post Mar 24 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,012
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 24 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Is there a specific version of the 34R for the stock 914 location? (Post Orientation)

I believe the "R" in the part number designates the correct post position., That would be a top post, reverse polarity.

Gary
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 24 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

This battery (mounted up front where is should be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) has been in the car so long, I can't remember when I bought it. Of course I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 24 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #20

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Both Optima & Odyssey & Interstate & maybe some other sealed AGM & dry cell lead-acid, Li, etc. would work & preserve the rust-abillity nature of our 914s a bit better than .

Optima Red top is for cars, yellow top is deep cycle for RVs & campers which don't get used often, drain down 90-100% & then need full recharging often.

Some folks like yellow top for that reason if they occasionally drive their 914s/cars .... or guys like SoCalAndy who has everything YELLOW in his 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Note that the new batteries today made by both Optima & Interstate are NOT what the folks above with older batteries were, as they lowered their excellent 8+/- year warranty down to just 2 years a few years ago, with quality lowered as well, after they were both bought out & production moved to ..... wait for it ..... China! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

They're still good batteries, but today you're getting 1/4-1/3 the life, quality & warranty for a very expensive battery, as compared to their originals, IMHO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I've used their sister Interstate sealed batteries in my `85 BMW 325e E30 with the rear battery in the trunk & requiring more CCA due to the long run to the front engine, & conversely in my `88 Westy under the front seat & conversely long run to the rear engine with good luck for 20+ years, with most lasting 7-10 years.

IIRC they also have a flat-plate AGM version too, so you could use either that or Optima - with the caveat of the new shorter warranty & less quality.

Some folks also like the Exide AGM as well, which may be less costly for you up in Canada.

BTW - I'd still recco an acid neutralizer pad under any battery in a pre-zinc-treated car body.

FYI - Porsche didn't start hot-dip zinc treatment until `76 MY - EXCEPT for 914s, which 76 MY 914s were all built in 1975 & sold as 76 MY thereafter.

PS - my nefarious & as yet untried plan for my 73 2L's resto, is to mount a smaller but same CCA/V/etc. capacity Oddyssey lead-acid dry cell or another Li etc. battery inside a "blank case" for an old school Bosch battery as a "case" - so it looks OE, but runs as new tech - with the added security of the battery case serving as a battery tray/enclosure, such as those used for inside trailer battery installations to contain any leakage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:03 PM