Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Throwout bearing grease
Amphicar770
post Apr 5 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I was looking into proper grease for throw out bearing and shaft. Came across this grease from Honda, made just for such applications. Figured I would share.

Genuine Honda 08798-9002 Urea Grease https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFDFYKW/ref=cm...d_7aebxb18R79J6
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
914Sixer
post Apr 5 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I used a little high temp wheel bearing grease.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 5 2016, 08:47 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 5 2016, 06:53 PM) *

I was looking into proper grease for throw out bearing and shaft. Came across this grease from Honda, made just for such applications. Figured I would share.

Genuine Honda 08798-9002 Urea Grease https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFDFYKW/ref=cm...d_7aebxb18R79J6

Urea is the component of pee....not shitting you...urea urine.

Most grease uses soap as part of the base, Swepco 101 is lithium base. this is urea base.
Soap based grease flow at lower temps, the lithium or urea is higher temp.

BTW never thought about a urea grease, but I did now the urea is used heavily in cosmetics. Kiss a girl with lots of make-up on and you are kissing pee.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 6 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #4

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 5 2016, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 5 2016, 06:53 PM) *

Urea is the component of pee....not shitting you...urea urine.

Most grease uses soap as part of the base, Swepco 101 is lithium base. this is urea base.
Soap based grease flow at lower temps, the lithium or urea is higher temp.

BTW never thought about a urea grease, but I did now the urea is used heavily in cosmetics. Kiss a girl with lots of make-up on and you are kissing pee.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Polyurea.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) theres only a capitil P in it
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 6 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,103

This is what I used last week. Made by Sachs. There is usually a packet enclosed with the clutch and pressure plate. I bought a whole tube from Pelican.

Dave
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 6 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Polyurea greases are almost always chosen because of their high temperature properties.

Art Polishuk, in his tome, A Brief History of Lubricating Greases, claims that “one of the unique properties of polyurea greases is that they tend to thicken with an increase in temperature. This may contribute to their long performance in bearings at elevated temperatures. Their long bearing life may also be due to the fact that they contain no metals to catalyse oxidation”. Another reason for the choice of a polyurea grease may be for specific rheological properties where some versions exhibit extreme thixotropic behaviour and can be made mechanically instable by design. Polyurea greases represent some 4% of the total worldwide grease production. They are most popular in Japan whereas, in other areas, they have not caught on signi cantly, most probably due to the health and safety issues concerning the handling of the raw materials.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:39 PM