Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> hmm...window wont go up??, crank just goes round and round....
jr91472
post Apr 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #1

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,437

well I guess I know what I will be doing tomarrow. Got 2 weeks till Talihina, OK. Might want to roll the windows up sometime during the trip.

I have early style window mechnisms. Does anyone know what I will be facing? The glass looks like it is sitting in the door in the proper place. When I turn the crank, the glass doesn't move, but I can tell from the resistance that the crank is turning something inside (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

guess I will find out tomarrow (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 15)
skline
post Apr 11 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

The early regulators are crap, they have a pin that moves the window up and down and are replaceable. I think Pelican sells them. I would try to get some late regulators and install them with new glass and be done with it. Just my opinion.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Apr 11 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (skline @ Apr 11 2005, 05:21 PM)
The early regulators are crap, they have a pin that moves the window up and down and are replaceable. I think Pelican sells them. I would try to get some late regulators and install them with new glass and be done with it. Just my opinion.

might be a good long term idea. Is the early glass compatible with the late regulator?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 11 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #4

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) That pin has a tendency to pop out and ince it does it, it never stops! You can also put a length of wire around one bolt, across the winding channel and wrapped around the other bolt to help keep the pin in the track.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 11 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I don't think it's that easy Scott... someone correct me please.

I think the stamping on the door is way different. If not; that's the fix. Otherwise. Plan on putting in a window regulator.

+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 11 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

It may not be that easy, I have never done it, I was merely speculating. I think it is at least worth a shot. If anyone has done this, speak up here. I just know there were early 73 doors with the late regulators installed. Without seeing one, I dont know for sure if they are different or not.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 11 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

JR, I have an early model regulator. I can bring it to Talimena with me.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 11 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Oh, BTW, the early glass is different on the bottom rear. has a dropped area the the late glass doesn't. Seems like the late should fit the early, but not the other way around.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Apr 11 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 11 2005, 06:03 PM)
JR, I have an early model regulator. I can bring it to Talimena with me.

thanks Curt!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) I will let you know what I find tomarrow.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Apr 11 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #10

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Drivers side or pas?
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 11 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

First off, the late regulater won't work in an early door without a lot of work. Plus the targe rubber at the top of the door is different. Your problem with your window is more likely to be the connection of the window to the mechanism at the back of the window. If the piece that holds the window to the rear channel has come loose, the window will keep popping out of the winder mechanism. Take the interior door panel off & check it. If it's come loose, go to a windshield shop & have them put some of their really good stickum on the piece at the back of the window, to make sure it stays in place. Tha'ts what I did with my 72, and it hasn't popped out since.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Apr 12 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #12

so here is what I found.....may have gotten lucky

there was a metal tab that had pulled out of the slider piece which connects to the window. the photo shows after I re-inserted the tab. Snapped back in real firm like and all seems to work fine now, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

Interesting that I have had this panel off hundreds of times, but never noticed that this door (pax) used to be orange. The original color of the rest of the car is red.

things that make you go hmmm..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 12 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #13

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

That's where it pops off of. Now, what's making it pop off? Have you lubed the mechanism well? Did you look at the rear edge of the window to make sure it's got the piece that holds it in the slot? Is it staying in the slot when you move the window up & down? Make sure you have fixed the cause, or it's gonna pop out again. Believe me, I took my drivers' door panel off a bunch of times before I got the actual problem fixed.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Apr 12 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (markb @ Apr 12 2005, 07:28 AM)
That's where it pops off of. Now, what's making it pop off? Have you lubed the mechanism well? Did you look at the rear edge of the window to make sure it's got the piece that holds it in the slot? Is it staying in the slot when you move the window up & down? Make sure you have fixed the cause, or it's gonna pop out again. Believe me, I took my drivers' door panel off a bunch of times before I got the actual problem fixed.

Thanks for the tip; and yes, I lubed all the tracks with silicone.

For some reason, the window sits fairly loose in the slots. When the window is all the way up, you can shift it in place (like if you lift on the rear edge of the glass it kinda of twist in place). I am not exactly sure why because it looks like all the pieces are in place (including the rear guide). I DO know that the drivers side window is very secure and doesn't move at all.

So I suspect that the pax got somewhat cockeyed and my daughter forced the window up/down the other day. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

will have to keep an eye on it for sure.
+Quote Post
sj914
post Apr 12 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,053

QUOTE (jr91472 @ Apr 12 2005, 08:02 AM)
[QUOTE=markb,Apr 12 2005, 07:28 AM]
For some reason, the window sits fairly loose in the slots. When the window is all the way up, you can shift it in place (like if you lift on the rear edge of the glass it kinda of twist in place). I am not exactly sure why because it looks like all the pieces are in place (including the rear guide). I DO know that the drivers side window is very secure and doesn't move at all.

So I suspect that the pax got somewhat cockeyed and my daughter forced the window up/down the other day. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

will have to keep an eye on it for sure.

iirc the early window had little rollers on the edge that runs along the chrome channel, if the rollers are missing it could cause the window to move around.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Apr 12 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #16

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

The front edge of the window has 4 little rollers, 2 on each side, that guide it up and down the front channel. Make sure they are in place or it will be loose (and stiff).
My little "clip" actually broke off, probably from old age or fighting a gummed up mechanism. When that happens, there is no fix except replacing the regulator.

edit: What sj914 said.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:24 AM