Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> hard to start, Turning over very slowly
North Coast Jim
post Sep 15 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

New build just finished. Engine runs and a few items remain to be sorted out such as carb jetting and final timing. Issue is the starter turns over S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'm using the original relay board and jumpered across per a previous posting for ground location, see attachment. Bought and installed the Tangerine Racing carb conversion fuel pump with SS lines and installed it under the steering rack. Ran 12V wiring thru tunnel where the old return line was. I also bought a rebuilt Bosch starter and alternator from Pelican and a new alternator harness for Jeff Bowlsby which included the wiring for the starter. New Hot lead to the starter as well. New battery, a red top Optima. Any guidance on a fix is appreciated. Ignition switch ???? How to fix ??

Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Relay_bd_pin_locations.pdf ( 68.78k ) Number of downloads: 30
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
914Sixer
post Sep 15 2016, 10:58 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Transmission ground strap in place and clean? Battery ground strap clean? Bolt area cleaned off for good contact in both locations?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 15 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Cranks, but just slowly... Does it do the same with jumper cables from a running car? I wouldn't think ignition switch because when they fail it typically won't crank at all.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 15 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

So slowly the engine won't start? Did you check the voltage on your new optima? Did you clean up the bat terminal clamps and the chassis grounds?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 15 2016, 05:18 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Does the engine turn over by hand?

--DD
+Quote Post
Toast
post Sep 15 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #6

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

+Quote Post
Toast
post Sep 15 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

Check starter amp and grounds. What oil are you using and what is the weather temp where you are?
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Sep 15 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

unless he filled the crankcase with grease, the oil has no effect on this condition, check the grounds and connection, make sure you have 12volts out of battery and 12volts at starter
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 15 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

How old is the battery cable to the starter?
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Sep 15 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,604

op states new^
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 16 2016, 07:01 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 15 2016, 12:52 PM) *

New build just finished. Engine runs and a few items remain to be sorted out such as carb jetting and final timing. Issue is the starter turns over S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'm using the original relay board and jumpered across per a previous posting for ground location, see attachment. Bought and installed the Tangerine Racing carb conversion fuel pump with SS lines and installed it under the steering rack. Ran 12V wiring thru tunnel where the old return line was. I also bought a rebuilt Bosch starter and alternator from Pelican and a new alternator harness for Jeff Bowlsby which included the wiring for the starter. New Hot lead to the starter as well. New battery, a red top Optima. Any guidance on a fix is appreciated. Ignition switch ???? How to fix ??

Attached Image

Engine starts and runs, very well I must add. Battery is new Optima red top. Cable to starter is also new. Ground strap to the transmission is installed. Didn't think that any grounds would/could be at issue as all are new except for the battery ground cable. I will take apart the 2 ground connections and ensure they are clean and have good contact. By the way I'm using Brad Penn break in oil and the crankcase is not overfilled. Temp yesterday was an excellent 80 degrees and sunny. Great day for a 914 drive of 20 miles. First one in over 24 years for this car. Thanks all for the help. Still investigating
+Quote Post
Movin6
post Sep 16 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,615

I'd be curious about voltage at the starter as you are starting it. One item not mentioned is the solenoid relay. Usually they fail completely, but bad or dirty contacts could be an issue.

In the meantime, park on a hill! ;-)

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 16 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Attached Image

Engine starts and runs, very well I must add. Battery is new Optima red top. Cable to starter is also new. Ground strap to the transmission is installed. Didn't think that any grounds would/could be at issue as all are new except for the battery ground cable. I will take apart the 2 ground connections and ensure they are clean and have good contact. By the way I'm using Brad Penn break in oil and the crankcase is not overfilled. Temp yesterday was an excellent 80 degrees and sunny. Great day for a 914 drive of 20 miles. First one in over 24 years for this car. Thanks all for the help. Still investigating

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 16 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

You mentioned you are using ''running in'' oil,has the motor been reconditioned ?,if so it may just be tight.
Get your multimeter and attach the probes to the battery then get someone to crank it over and see what voltage drop you have,you could also do the same @ the starter.
IMO its not safe to assume it isn't the ignition switch,they don't always fail straight off,mine caused several different faults before finally packing it in,burnt/worn contacts in the start position of the switch could be robbing power from the battery surely.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Sep 17 2016, 05:05 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

It could also be the starter. I've had other cars that had the same issue and a new starter was the fix.

Regards'
Jon h.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 17 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #15

Attached Image

Disconnected the grounds and cleaned them thoroughly. Had to remove some paint as the body was a complete respray. Added a star type lock washer with many points of contacts. Cranks now as it should. Thanks all.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:23 AM