Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 muffler vs 1.7 muffler, will the 1.7 fit???
pete-stevers
post May 11 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #1

saved from fire!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a blown out2.0/4 muffler and have a 1.7 muffler system willl the 1.7 fit??? IF not- does any body have a spare 2.0 that I can buy to get me through the next few months until the six is put in.....if it is rusty i can spray it flat black and no one will know.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
dmenche914
post May 11 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 366

The 2 liter muffler is designed to fit the 2 liter heat exchangers, which are different than the 1.7 heat exchangers. The 1.7 exchangers bend up at the ends near the muffler, the 2.0 heat exchangers have no bend, and go straight back. the effect of the bend is that the ends of the 2.0 heat exchangers are higher up, than the 1.7. The different muffler styles take this into account, so the inlet on the 2.0 liter muffler is higher than on the 1.7 motor. If you try to put the 1.7 muffler on the 2.0 heat exchangers, it would be too high up, and hit the trunk bottom.

The heat exchangers are interchangable, so you can put 1.7 exchangers, and 1.7 muffler on a 2.0 motor, and visa versa.

hope this is clear enough

good luck
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 11 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

No!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 12 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

dmenche914 gave you all the pertinent info...

one thing I'd add though: DON'T put 1.7 H/E's on UNLESS they are SSI... the 1.7/1.8 H/E has a smaller diameter than the stock 2.0.... UNLESS they are Stainless... all stainless H/E's have the same diameter(bigger than stock 2.0 even)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 12 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 11 2005, 08:48 PM)
The 2 liter muffler is designed to fit the 2 liter heat exchangers, which are different than the 1.7 heat exchangers. The 1.7 exchangers bend up at the ends near the muffler, the 2.0 heat exchangers have no bend, and go straight back. the effect of the bend is that the ends of the 2.0 heat exchangers are higher up, than the 1.7. The different muffler styles take this into account, so the inlet on the 2.0 liter muffler is higher than on the 1.7 motor. If you try to put the 1.7 muffler on the 2.0 heat exchangers, it would be too high up, and hit the trunk bottom.

The heat exchangers are interchangable, so you can put 1.7 exchangers, and 1.7 muffler on a 2.0 motor, and visa versa.

hope this is clear enough

good luck

Clear enough? Yes, but you've got it mostly wrong. The 1.7 HEs do indeed kick up, but the inlets on the muffler are also higher up, NOT lower. The 2 litre muffler has the inlets LOW on the muffler to match the straight HEs. The flanges are also substantially larger on the 2 litre muffler. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
914werke
post May 12 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Pete I have a Monza 2.0 muffler that I yanked off the silver (blue) car yesterday if ya wanna come on down $40 and its yours. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post May 12 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #7

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

you bet.... i'll pm you for the details, thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
steve
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 03:40 PM