Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hot Spark Electronic Ignition, who else has one?
malcolm2
post Oct 18 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I went with the Hot Spark that replaces the condenser and the points in the disty. After 38000 miles.... maybe 10000 with a new voltage regulator I determined that my module was seriously acting up. That's all in another thread.

This thread is for helping me make sure I don't have problems down the road, so chime in if you can help.

The manufacturer recommends, actually requires that you only put 13.7 volts at any RPM into their module. So I tested it after I put my spare module on the car.
Attached Image
My 75 L-Jet 1911 cc engine idles perfectly at 950. 1 VOM lead on the coil + the other on ground.

Results of the test are as follows:

voltage at Idle.... 13.9 -14.2 fail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
voltage at 4000 rpm... 13.6 - 13.9 fail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Hot Spark says to put a 1.4 ohm Ballast Resistor between the module and coil +... Moved the VOM lead to the exit end of the resistor.
Idle....13.9 - 14.2 fail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
4000...13.5 - 13.68 pass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

Tried a 5 ohm Ballast Resistor
Idle...13.95 - 14.02 fail
4000...13.57 - 13.61 pass

5 ohm BR and the headlights are ON
Idle...12.28 - 12.32 pass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
4000... 13.29 - 13.31 pass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Now I can't drive around with my headlights on all the time. 2ndly I would say that the % of idle time is way less than the 3000 to 4000 rpm driving time.

What are your thoughts? Why do I see no change at idle? What else is out there to use instead. This module is only $35 so I figured it was cheap technology. It was simple and maintenance free. Bolt it on and plug it in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
DRPHIL914
post Oct 19 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

ive had the same hot spark module for past 5 years, no issue.

ive not had a problem but I didn't put a resistor in there either - but I do have their coil too - this will not matter once I get the I 123 distributor on the group buy!
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Oct 19 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 19 2017, 08:59 AM) *

ive had the same hot spark module for past 5 years, no issue.

ive not had a problem but I didn't put a resistor in there either - but I do have their coil too - this will not matter once I get the I 123 distributor on the group buy!

Good to know someone has used their product with success. I assume you never did the tests? How many miles you figure on yours?

I recently bought their coil too. So the recent tests using the resistors are with their coil. the 2ndry R was 7000 ohms, as they suggested. primary was 3.3 ohms, also as they suggested. My previous coil was 9400 & 3.6, respectively. I would still consider my original as GOOD, passing all their tests.

I just don't understand why the resistor has no effect on the voltage while at idle.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 19 2017, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I have an original SVDA type but its the Bosch unit,have hotspark on it but not yet installed ,I researched a fair amount before buying appears they are fine,however they haven't sold in the numbers that Pertronix have so documented failure would be less I suspect.
My unit was UK sourced and came with a Lucas gold 3.0 ohms coil but I believe there was mention of the Bosch blue coil working also.
Never saw any mention in the instructions of a resistor,maybe that's for use with a stock coil ?,truly I really don't know.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Oct 19 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The operating spec from Hot Spark is curious to me - as the voltage regulator spec for most of our cars is rated at a nominal 14V (i.e. over the suggested 13.7V maximum!).

If I was trying this set up, I'd be wiring in a 1N4001 diode in series with the Hot Spark feed (instead of a ballast resistor); this will drop around 0.5V - 1V from the regulated voltage which should keep the Hot Spark in spec...?

You may need to exercise some soldering skills, and the diode should be widely available (eg RadioShack..)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jan 22 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

Old thread - just seeing this now as I am doing research on a voltage regulator replacement.

Has your situation been resolved?

I've had the Hot-Spark unit in my 914 since 2011 or so and over 30k of driving and have never had a problem with it even though my charging system has been sketchy at best the entire time.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jan 22 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In helping others with their Ljet issues, I have found a few hot spark modules acting goofy. Currently, the hotspark module in my 914 is acting very goofy and is misfiring at idle (had it for over 5 years). I was a huge proponent for this 30 dollar module, but now I'm steering folks away and advising the 123 dizzy instead.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jan 22 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 22 2018, 02:39 PM) *

In helping others with their Ljet issues, I have found a few hot spark modules acting goofy. Currently, the hotspark module in my 914 is acting very goofy and is misfiring at idle (had it for over 5 years). I was a huge proponent for this 30 dollar module, but now I'm steering folks away and advising the 123 dizzy instead.

When it gets to the top of the list, I will get the 123 dizzy, it looks and sounds like a real nice upgrade, but 5 years out of a $30 to $50 part is a bargain. I haven't even had the cap off the distributor or adjusted the timing after all the miles and time!

+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 23 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I have not tested or changed anything since October. Have made a few trips and drive to work on most dry days. I still would like to try RETRO RACER's idea, but just have not gotten to it.

I keep a spare Hot Spark in the trunk for the next failure and then I guess it will be back to the points and condenser or to the new disty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Depends on how I feel at the time.

Did you see the post I did with Tim's help using the timing light? It really shows the "cut-out" across all 4 cylinders.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 03:38 AM