Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Spark Electronic Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I went with the Hot Spark that replaces the condenser and the points in the disty. After 38000 miles.... maybe 10000 with a new voltage regulator I determined that my module was seriously acting up. That's all in another thread.

This thread is for helping me make sure I don't have problems down the road, so chime in if you can help.

The manufacturer recommends, actually requires that you only put 13.7 volts at any RPM into their module. So I tested it after I put my spare module on the car.
Click to view attachment
My 75 L-Jet 1911 cc engine idles perfectly at 950. 1 VOM lead on the coil + the other on ground.

Results of the test are as follows:

voltage at Idle.... 13.9 -14.2 fail barf.gif
voltage at 4000 rpm... 13.6 - 13.9 fail barf.gif

Hot Spark says to put a 1.4 ohm Ballast Resistor between the module and coil +... Moved the VOM lead to the exit end of the resistor.
Idle....13.9 - 14.2 fail barf.gif
4000...13.5 - 13.68 pass KMA.gif

Tried a 5 ohm Ballast Resistor
Idle...13.95 - 14.02 fail
4000...13.57 - 13.61 pass

5 ohm BR and the headlights are ON
Idle...12.28 - 12.32 pass cheer.gif
4000... 13.29 - 13.31 pass cheer.gif

Now I can't drive around with my headlights on all the time. 2ndly I would say that the % of idle time is way less than the 3000 to 4000 rpm driving time.

What are your thoughts? Why do I see no change at idle? What else is out there to use instead. This module is only $35 so I figured it was cheap technology. It was simple and maintenance free. Bolt it on and plug it in.
DRPHIL914
ive had the same hot spark module for past 5 years, no issue.

ive not had a problem but I didn't put a resistor in there either - but I do have their coil too - this will not matter once I get the I 123 distributor on the group buy!
malcolm2
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 19 2017, 08:59 AM) *

ive had the same hot spark module for past 5 years, no issue.

ive not had a problem but I didn't put a resistor in there either - but I do have their coil too - this will not matter once I get the I 123 distributor on the group buy!

Good to know someone has used their product with success. I assume you never did the tests? How many miles you figure on yours?

I recently bought their coil too. So the recent tests using the resistors are with their coil. the 2ndry R was 7000 ohms, as they suggested. primary was 3.3 ohms, also as they suggested. My previous coil was 9400 & 3.6, respectively. I would still consider my original as GOOD, passing all their tests.

I just don't understand why the resistor has no effect on the voltage while at idle.
porschetub
I have an original SVDA type but its the Bosch unit,have hotspark on it but not yet installed ,I researched a fair amount before buying appears they are fine,however they haven't sold in the numbers that Pertronix have so documented failure would be less I suspect.
My unit was UK sourced and came with a Lucas gold 3.0 ohms coil but I believe there was mention of the Bosch blue coil working also.
Never saw any mention in the instructions of a resistor,maybe that's for use with a stock coil ?,truly I really don't know.
Retroracer
The operating spec from Hot Spark is curious to me - as the voltage regulator spec for most of our cars is rated at a nominal 14V (i.e. over the suggested 13.7V maximum!).

If I was trying this set up, I'd be wiring in a 1N4001 diode in series with the Hot Spark feed (instead of a ballast resistor); this will drop around 0.5V - 1V from the regulated voltage which should keep the Hot Spark in spec...?

You may need to exercise some soldering skills, and the diode should be widely available (eg RadioShack..)
scott_in_nh
Old thread - just seeing this now as I am doing research on a voltage regulator replacement.

Has your situation been resolved?

I've had the Hot-Spark unit in my 914 since 2011 or so and over 30k of driving and have never had a problem with it even though my charging system has been sketchy at best the entire time.
timothy_nd28
In helping others with their Ljet issues, I have found a few hot spark modules acting goofy. Currently, the hotspark module in my 914 is acting very goofy and is misfiring at idle (had it for over 5 years). I was a huge proponent for this 30 dollar module, but now I'm steering folks away and advising the 123 dizzy instead.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 22 2018, 02:39 PM) *

In helping others with their Ljet issues, I have found a few hot spark modules acting goofy. Currently, the hotspark module in my 914 is acting very goofy and is misfiring at idle (had it for over 5 years). I was a huge proponent for this 30 dollar module, but now I'm steering folks away and advising the 123 dizzy instead.

When it gets to the top of the list, I will get the 123 dizzy, it looks and sounds like a real nice upgrade, but 5 years out of a $30 to $50 part is a bargain. I haven't even had the cap off the distributor or adjusted the timing after all the miles and time!

malcolm2
I have not tested or changed anything since October. Have made a few trips and drive to work on most dry days. I still would like to try RETRO RACER's idea, but just have not gotten to it.

I keep a spare Hot Spark in the trunk for the next failure and then I guess it will be back to the points and condenser or to the new disty. confused24.gif Depends on how I feel at the time.

Did you see the post I did with Tim's help using the timing light? It really shows the "cut-out" across all 4 cylinders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.