Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Lotus Europa, Someone gimme the skinny!!!
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

So I just got back from my vacation to Florida....... Had a blast (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

On the way home, while stopping at one of those road-side "jams, jellies, and pecans" places.... I found a classic car dealership and peeked through the window.

........ where I found a car I've seen a thousand pictures of...... but never actually seen one in person...... a 1972 Lotus Europa.

Same appeal as the 914.... tiny, nimble, rear engine, 2-seater, etc.

Oh yea.... and it looks wild.. like nothing else out there....... much like the way I fell in love with 914s.

Plus.... the cost is low.... gotta love that.

So...... whats up with these cars? Are they fast? Handle well? reliable? piece of crap? expensive to buy parts? easy to modify? etc.

I'd like to hear from anyone thats ever owned or driven one..... and their thoughts. Thanks!!!

Matt

here's a pic... for those that have no idea what one looks like (not the one I saw)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
bondo
post Jun 10 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I always thought they looked like a british El Camino, but that's just me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jun 10 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

The Super Pacer has to be one of the ugliest cars in creation. It is a lotus so parts will be fairly easy to find but most of them will have to come from England. The parts are underbuilt, nowhere near like the 914. You still get Lucas wiring. I have a friend that has an Elite, I'll post this to him and see if he can offer any advice.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 10 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

What were they selling for ?
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Brett W @ Jun 10 2005, 02:28 PM)
The Super Pacer has to be one of the ugliest cars in creation.

A lot of people say that about the 914---LOL (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

And if it's of any comfort..... my fiance said she thought it looked just like the 914........ with a camper shell. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Hey..... it's all a matter of taste..... I like it.

Not ready to buy or anything..... but the interest is there.... the seed is planted.... just looking for info for now.
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jun 10 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,042

My oldest memory of a Europa was when I was about ten and we were moving to SA TX with my father. We walked past a Lotus in Roch-rocha-cha, NY and my Dad pointed to the car and said "That, David, is a Ten Thousand Dollar Car!" I really had no idea how much $10,000 was.
The Europa was mid engined water cooled British car with, I think, all the inherent problems. Lousy electrical!
Colin, something or other, was a racing freak who's main concept was light weight! HP per Lb! By lightening his cars he could be competative in smaller classes and still win. That was the theory.
A lotus of any type would be my third or fourth choice, if money were no object.
That's all I know
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Jun 10 2005, 02:29 PM)
What were they selling for ?

Well.. the price varies depending on the condition like any car.....
But..... from what I've seen, eBay prices range from 2k for a rusty piece of crap, up to around 10K for a nice one.

Kinda like a 914.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jun 10 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #8

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

The red one looks just like the one that my Dad drove into the ground. Part availability was not great twenty years ago, handled better than a 914, was even more underpowered than a 1.7, really cool cockpit feel, harder to get in and out of than a 'teener.

Dad's started eating rear wheel bearings, he modified for ones that were more available, that didn't work as well as it sounds. Backed into something and damaged the rear cradle, shifting wasn't as good after that. Hit a big dog and broke off the front fender, air inlet to wheel arch, crappy "temporary" home patch job never got redone. I forget what the killing blow was, but something else happened and the car sat in the desert for a decade before he moved to Hawaii, he had a hard time giving it away as a parts car, not much of a community out there.

That said, a pretty cool car, I loved riding in it as a teenager.
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jun 10 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #9

If you really want to freak out your girl, buy one of these!

super seven
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 10 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #10

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

They're VERY small. WAY lower than a 914. Footwells are very cramped, and you can't be all that tall and still fit. You essentially sat on the floor even with the stock seats. I'm only 5'7", and felt cramped in one. I remember talking to a friend that was sitting in his, and I was squatted all the way down and looking him directly in the eye.

There were several versions. Most used a Renault transaxle (4 or 5 speed). Some also used a Renault four, but many used a Lotus made engine (a Ford block with a Lotus "Big Valve" head, usually). Very light cars, at roughly 1400-1500lbs. Very fragile cars, as it you'd bend the suspension just saying the words "curb rash" to them. Backbone frame was poorly rust-proofed steel, with an all fiberglass body bonded or bolted to it (depending on the version). You can't see a damned thing out the gun-slit rear window, and the sail panels prevented you from seeing anything at about 4 to 5 o'clock.

They're fast like the 914 is fast: all handling, not blistering straightline speed. They're one of the few production cars that can really match the 914 in the handling dept., actually. A good one would blow a good 914 into the weeds.

There's a place in the UK called Banks Garage that specializes in making "new" Europas and parts, using a much better backbone chassis. They fit 140-180hp four cylinders to them, usually, Ford Zetecs. They're also a great place to go for resto parts.

I've had several friends with them, and I sat in a Big Valve car and came pretty close to buying it 20 years ago, but really didn't have the time, money, or knowledge to deal with it then.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (ewdysar @ Jun 10 2005, 02:37 PM)
was even more underpowered than a 1.7

Funny you should say that...

Actually, what I found interesting about the one I saw, was that it was rated at 125 hp..... which is pretty impressive considering it's about the same size as a 914, and I ASSUME "about" the same weight.

Of course, it could be some super-powered "Big Jake" version of a lotus 4 cylinder....... I really don't know.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 10 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #12

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

The Lotus Europa is very similar to the 914 in that it's often an accepting platform for modifications. The Europa is VERY light (1500 lbs), with a body that is nearly all fiberglass. The first generation had the body bonded to the frame, the later models were bolted.

Later models had a 1500 cc twin-cam motor that put out 125 hp stock.

A pretty potent car in it's day, and these days is a choice chassis for building SUPER autox cars. Some of the top cars in SCCA D-Modified and E-Modified are built on the Europa chassis.

One I'm thinking of has a turbo charged 13B rotary in it. And in racing trim tips the scales at just over 1000 lbs... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jun 10 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #13

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

Dad's was a Renault powered one, I heard that Lotus was including French parts to reduce import taxes onto the mainland. The later ones had better engines.

Eric
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 10 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #14

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Good God! You're right! I found one that looks EXACTLY like a 914 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Click Here
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #15

WOW... sounds more and more like something I'd like to own.

1500 lbs and 125 hp??? Ummm... yea... that'll work.

OK.... let the "rice-hater" comments begin.... but I'm thinking a set of 16 inch wheels might just set this car off nicely..... cause I hate the wheels. Anyone know what the lug pattern is on one of these??

And most importantly..... Whats the cost of replacement parts? More than 914 parts? Less??
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 10 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #16

PMB Performance

Whats the cost of replacement parts? More than 914 parts? Less??

I don't think they offer aftermarket snowplows for them... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 10 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 10 2005, 02:59 PM)
Whats the cost of replacement parts? More than 914 parts? Less??

I don't think they offer aftermarket snowplows for them... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Oh now that was just wrong.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jun 10 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 10 2005, 02:53 PM)
Good God! You're right! I found one that looks EXACTLY like a 914 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Click Here

[QUOTE]

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
goose2
post Jun 10 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've driven both the Renault and the Twin cam versions extensively (I used to be in the Brit car biz). Its been a while but my memories of the cars are pleasant. I built a hot engine for the Renault powered one...it was an early car and very quick with the engine mods. It would be hard to find an affordable car with a better suspension...just don't hit anything, its fragile...the price you pay for very low unsprung weight. The owner of this car wanted me to use it for a month to sort it and break it in so I put some hard miles on it...even autox'ed it once. The later car used the lotus twin cam engine....a good bolt in upgrade was the 16 valve 2L version from the Esprit or Jensen Healey. This car seemed much more civilized...less of a kit car feel, but it wasn't much quicker in spite of the twin cam motor....more sound proofing and generally more finished with more amenities (=more weight). The cockpits are a bit cramped by 914 standards but I'm 6-2 and it was ok. No body rust to worry about as it's fiberglass, but check out the backbone frame for the red scourge. Lucas electrics aren't as bad as their reputation suggests...at least on a simple car like the Europa. All in all I would love to have one in my garage, BUT, not as practical for an everyday driver as a 914...besides you can't take the top off and they are kinda funny looking at certain angles.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 10 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

Sorry Matt... couldn't help myself.

Randy, didn't they have fire problems with the early ones?
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:07 AM