Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> alignment in the valley of the sun, need a good shop
orangecrate
post Nov 23 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,394
Region Association: Southwest Region

After dragging my teener up and down the coast , doing some serious rust repair, new shocks all around, Urethane bushings all around ,repaired transaxle, new steel fuel lines,
2 broken windshields (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and a laundry list of other misc. stuff, 10 yrs later it's almost ready for the road again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Because i've had my front and rear suspension completely apart, I need to find a good shop to do a four wheel alignment. NOT Discount tire or any of those places, someplace that knows teeners and will have the rear shims on hand. I live out in Apache Junction so the closer to there the better. Thanks for the help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
wndsrfr
post Nov 23 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

After all the DIY that you've accomplished, don't be afraid to DIY the alignment. Lotsa luck finding anyone with shims on hand anyway. Park on a level spot. Put some slippery trash bags under all 4 wheels, and settle the suspension. Set up fishing line strings parallel to both front & rear hub centers to check toe, then dangle plumb bobs over each wheel to check camber & you're able to get really close to what any alignment shop can do with their fancy laser stuff.
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Nov 23 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,535

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 23 2018, 10:22 PM) *

After all the DIY that you've accomplished, don't be afraid to DIY the alignment. Lotsa luck finding anyone with shims on hand anyway. Park on a level spot. Put some slippery trash bags under all 4 wheels, and settle the suspension. Set up fishing line strings parallel to both front & rear hub centers to check toe, then dangle plumb bobs over each wheel to check camber & you're able to get really close to what any alignment shop can do with their fancy laser stuff.

Love this type of creative DIY advice. Not too technical but free
Thx for sharing.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Nov 23 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #4

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

I remember doing the toe in with a tape measure when I swapped in the turbo tie rods.
25+ years ago.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 23 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Patrick Motorsport should be able to help, though any shop with a modern alignment setup should be able to adjust it for you as there’s nothing magical aboutMcPherson struts or trailing arms. You may need to supply alignment shims if it’s a typical alignment shop that doesn’t normally do 914s.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Nov 24 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,164

Stuttgart Southwest is close to Mesa and they work on a lot of 914s. Had mine aligned there years ago. I’ve had them do a few repairs on my car and have always been happy with the price and quality.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 24 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 23 2018, 10:22 PM) *

For fronts I just used a digital tllt box to set castor/camber and I made a toe-in slide rule.
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Nov 26 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,394

Thank you gentlemen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/signal914.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:31 AM