Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back in the saddle again, What to do next
Bill Shaw
post Mar 9 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,013

After 2 bouts with the Big C, loads of chemo and enough radiation that I glow in the dark, decided to get down to some really serious business. After realizing that my ‘74 had too many tinworm issues (hellhole, right long) for me to handle, looked around and found a reasonable ‘76 race car to convert to street. Odo reads about 42K and condition of car seems consistent. Have to transfer my street equipment, but that’s no problem.

Now for the question.

In a fit of optimism about refurbishing the ‘74 I bought a 2056 engine kit from Jake Raby. Just had it put together with Webers when I found the tinworm so it hasn’t been installed. The ‘76 engine seems to have had some work done to it and sounds strong but it has the original Djet, I have no idea what’s been done to the internals and can’t contact the PO.

Thought I’d run compression and leakdown tests on the ‘76 and run it through a local chassis dyno. Anybody got any better/other suggestions to find out the condition? I’d hate to spend the $ now to change to the Raby engine if I’ve got a good one in there already. On the other hand I’ve lunched enough race engines (ok, they were British) to know not to trust them completely.

Any help would be appreciated!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
mepstein
post Mar 9 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Or just drive it until it gives out (if ever) and then install the Raby engine. Glad to hear you are still with us and enjoy your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Mar 9 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Glad to hear that you beat the big C.

I would enjoy the car till engine stops feeling strong the swap it.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 10 2019, 08:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Drive it.

Enjoy it.

Fix it if needed.

Very happy to hear things are looking better.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 11 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Drive it until you finish the Raby engine then install it and have ever more smiles per mile.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Mar 11 2019, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) CCCCCCCCCCCCancer
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 12 2019, 02:40 AM
Post #7

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Compression check and leakdown tests are fairly easy, useful tasks and will put you at ease (or not) as to the motor's condition. Take it from there ...
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 12 2019, 08:20 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

See I’d just pull out the old engine and switch over to the new one. Then again for me working on the car is fun in itself.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 12 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ Mar 9 2019, 09:20 PM) *

After 2 bouts with the Big C, loads of chemo and enough radiation that I glow in the dark, decided to get down to some really serious business. After realizing that my ‘74 had too many tinworm issues (hellhole, right long) for me to handle, looked around and found a reasonable ‘76 race car to convert to street. Odo reads about 42K and condition of car seems consistent. Have to transfer my street equipment, but that’s no problem.

Now for the question.

In a fit of optimism about refurbishing the ‘74 I bought a 2056 engine kit from Jake Raby. Just had it put together with Webers when I found the tinworm so it hasn’t been installed. The ‘76 engine seems to have had some work done to it and sounds strong but it has the original Djet, I have no idea what’s been done to the internals and can’t contact the PO.

Thought I’d run compression and leakdown tests on the ‘76 and run it through a local chassis dyno. Anybody got any better/other suggestions to find out the condition? I’d hate to spend the $ now to change to the Raby engine if I’ve got a good one in there already. On the other hand I’ve lunched enough race engines (ok, they were British) to know not to trust them completely.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh wow hi Bill! It's been a LONG time but I believe you once came to a get together in the Chicago area with @GaroldShaffer and I in a silver '74. It had no rear bumper at the time but you drove it anyway! Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad you are doing OK now.

Rather than go to a local dyno place you might consider taking your car to @mcmark at Original Customs. He is in Grand Rapids I think and can tell you exactly what's up with your engine (s). Type 4 engine prices have gone WAY up so you might want to save the spare engine for later.

link to website:

Original Customs
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 12 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #10

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Hey Bill glad to see you kicked the big C ass and doing well.

A couple of flash back pics from 2003 dinner

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bill Shaw
post Mar 12 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,013

Damn. 2003? It’s hard to believe we’ve been traveling the yellow brick road that long.

Chris, reading yours and Gerald’s notes brought back a whole lot of memories- of the first meeting at Hooters and of the 914 Owner’s Group meetings in Michigan. I think I still have some pictures of The Alien (for those outside the midwest, that was a 914 with a 928 engine.

It’s been a bit of a fight for a long time - almost 10 years - but I think I’ve finally got the thing licked.

Did a compression check on the motor that’s in the car now and it turned out pretty well - 120, 116, 118 and 120. I’ll take your suggestion, Chris, and give Original Customs a call tomorrow. From their website they seem to have done a fair amount of work on 914s.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 13 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes can you believe that was 2003? I recall walking out to the cars and encountering a random fist fight. Good times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Glad you are on the mend health-wise!

Original Customs is owned by mcmark on the BBS. Very well respected and he has built many a Type 4. You'll be in good hands for sure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:54 PM