Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in the saddle again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Shaw
After 2 bouts with the Big C, loads of chemo and enough radiation that I glow in the dark, decided to get down to some really serious business. After realizing that my ‘74 had too many tinworm issues (hellhole, right long) for me to handle, looked around and found a reasonable ‘76 race car to convert to street. Odo reads about 42K and condition of car seems consistent. Have to transfer my street equipment, but that’s no problem.

Now for the question.

In a fit of optimism about refurbishing the ‘74 I bought a 2056 engine kit from Jake Raby. Just had it put together with Webers when I found the tinworm so it hasn’t been installed. The ‘76 engine seems to have had some work done to it and sounds strong but it has the original Djet, I have no idea what’s been done to the internals and can’t contact the PO.

Thought I’d run compression and leakdown tests on the ‘76 and run it through a local chassis dyno. Anybody got any better/other suggestions to find out the condition? I’d hate to spend the $ now to change to the Raby engine if I’ve got a good one in there already. On the other hand I’ve lunched enough race engines (ok, they were British) to know not to trust them completely.

Any help would be appreciated!

mepstein
Or just drive it until it gives out (if ever) and then install the Raby engine. Glad to hear you are still with us and enjoy your 914. beerchug.gif
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that you beat the big C.

I would enjoy the car till engine stops feeling strong the swap it.
Tdskip
Drive it.

Enjoy it.

Fix it if needed.

Very happy to hear things are looking better.
Bleyseng
Drive it until you finish the Raby engine then install it and have ever more smiles per mile.
whitetwinturbo
ar15.gif CCCCCCCCCCCCancer
euro911
Compression check and leakdown tests are fairly easy, useful tasks and will put you at ease (or not) as to the motor's condition. Take it from there ...
PanelBilly
See I’d just pull out the old engine and switch over to the new one. Then again for me working on the car is fun in itself.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ Mar 9 2019, 09:20 PM) *

After 2 bouts with the Big C, loads of chemo and enough radiation that I glow in the dark, decided to get down to some really serious business. After realizing that my ‘74 had too many tinworm issues (hellhole, right long) for me to handle, looked around and found a reasonable ‘76 race car to convert to street. Odo reads about 42K and condition of car seems consistent. Have to transfer my street equipment, but that’s no problem.

Now for the question.

In a fit of optimism about refurbishing the ‘74 I bought a 2056 engine kit from Jake Raby. Just had it put together with Webers when I found the tinworm so it hasn’t been installed. The ‘76 engine seems to have had some work done to it and sounds strong but it has the original Djet, I have no idea what’s been done to the internals and can’t contact the PO.

Thought I’d run compression and leakdown tests on the ‘76 and run it through a local chassis dyno. Anybody got any better/other suggestions to find out the condition? I’d hate to spend the $ now to change to the Raby engine if I’ve got a good one in there already. On the other hand I’ve lunched enough race engines (ok, they were British) to know not to trust them completely.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh wow hi Bill! It's been a LONG time but I believe you once came to a get together in the Chicago area with @GaroldShaffer and I in a silver '74. It had no rear bumper at the time but you drove it anyway! Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad you are doing OK now.

Rather than go to a local dyno place you might consider taking your car to @mcmark at Original Customs. He is in Grand Rapids I think and can tell you exactly what's up with your engine (s). Type 4 engine prices have gone WAY up so you might want to save the spare engine for later.

link to website:

Original Customs
GaroldShaffer
Hey Bill glad to see you kicked the big C ass and doing well.

A couple of flash back pics from 2003 dinner

Bill Shaw
Damn. 2003? It’s hard to believe we’ve been traveling the yellow brick road that long.

Chris, reading yours and Gerald’s notes brought back a whole lot of memories- of the first meeting at Hooters and of the 914 Owner’s Group meetings in Michigan. I think I still have some pictures of The Alien (for those outside the midwest, that was a 914 with a 928 engine.

It’s been a bit of a fight for a long time - almost 10 years - but I think I’ve finally got the thing licked.

Did a compression check on the motor that’s in the car now and it turned out pretty well - 120, 116, 118 and 120. I’ll take your suggestion, Chris, and give Original Customs a call tomorrow. From their website they seem to have done a fair amount of work on 914s.
Chris H.
Yes can you believe that was 2003? I recall walking out to the cars and encountering a random fist fight. Good times biggrin.gif . Glad you are on the mend health-wise!

Original Customs is owned by mcmark on the BBS. Very well respected and he has built many a Type 4. You'll be in good hands for sure.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.