Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Woohooo!!! What a ride!!, First time opened up
skline
post Jun 25 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Took the Chalon out for a run this morning to meet up with Joe Sharp and Thomas at Donut Derilicks. Car ran perfect there and back. On the way home, I pulled out onto Adams and headed towards home and saw a 71 Z28 Rally Sport so I wanted to get a closer look at it since I had one just like it about 8 years ago. Didnt take much to catch up to him and then we pulled up to the light. We chatted about the car for a minute and he says, "Is that a small block Chevy in there?" I said yeah, just a little one. We took off from the light and I got on it a little and left him sitting there like he was nothing. I went through the gears in nothing flat and the car sounded so smooth and quiet. I really like it. So much power, so nice to drive. I am going to get it sanded down today and see if I can get it all one color and start driving it more often. I really like it!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rocking nana.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Joe Bob
post Jun 25 2005, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

New trans or old trans?
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 25 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #3

Born to Drive

It was the first run with the new trans in. No strange noises anymore. Tires broke loose a little and that surprised me a little with a posi. Renegade is telling me the posi may not be a good thing with this car. They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 25 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #4

Power to BOTH sides versus to one side? To ME, you are spreading the stress to two differnt areas and lessening the load.

An LSD helps on launches and cornering....I don't see a down side. Plus that billet intermediate plate should keep the trans in one piece for a longer time.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 25 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #5

BTW....how did the H gear feel with the reduced RPMs?
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 25 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #6

Born to Drive

QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 25 2005, 08:37 AM)
BTW....how did the H gear feel with the reduced RPMs?

I hardly even noticed it to be honest, I am hoping to meet someone else with an H gear to see how theirs is in comparison. I was expecting more of a drop from 4th to 5th. It sure is quiet though going down the road. The speedo doesnt work on this tranny either. I may not have got the little gizmo in right or something. The cable is brand new so that isnt it. Also, I had to put a spacer between the starter on this one that I didnt have to have with the old one. Didnt think there would be a difference in case size?
+Quote Post
914GT
post Jun 25 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 08:31 AM)
They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?

I think the 'theory' here is that the posi effectively doubles the amount of traction to the road, same as putting fatter tires on a stock transaxle. So with a high-torque engine you'll be more likely to damage the transaxle, you'll break the gears before you lose traction.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 25 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #8

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Be careful out there man, glad to hear you being happy DRIVING one, instead of happy WORKING on one!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

If you shift as smooth as Otto does, you can get alot out, without snapping the gerbil wheel. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 25 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 25 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

the shlalom makes its debut!

hit the secondaries yet? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Jun 25 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,348

QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 09:31 AM)
It was the first run with the new trans in. No strange noises anymore. Tires broke loose a little and that surprised me a little with a posi. Renegade is telling me the posi may not be a good thing with this car. They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?

Yes they are right. LSD's are worthless and will only destroy your car, and empty your wallet. If you like, I will take it from you and dispose of it properly to eliminate any chance of financial hardship it may cost you. I will pm the shipping details. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 25 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Born to Drive

Joe took some pictures since I forgot my camera this morning. There were some pretty trick cars down there, one that caught my eye was a 61 Nash Metropolitan that was nothing but tires and engine. Looked like an 871 blower with dual carbs and wheelie bars and the tires were almost touching in the middle they were so big and wide. There was even a soft blue 914 for sale out there today. Had some rust issues but it was a 73 S optioned 2 liter car. The only 2 liter option that was missing were the wheels. The guy wanted 4k for the car. A little high but it had potential.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 25 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

glad you got to open it up some...makes it all worthwhile!
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jun 25 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #14

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648

I'd like to dissect your old 901 to see where the wierd noises were coming from.

Pics!

Next upgrade: 915 with a sideshifter conversion (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 25 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #15

Except for the H gear, I used the same set up on a 3.0/6 with 260hp....beat the crap out of it and when it finally blew it was first gear....burnouts will do that.

901s are tuff...my ass dragger has the 915 with a 3.6...about 390hp....the little winky crowd says the same about the 915....it's always...my bud had one and he trashed it....Bullshit.

If ya toss the cookies on a 901...take the LSD and billet plate oiut and toss it in another one....
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 25 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 07:31 AM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 25 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #17

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great to hear this kind of news! Drive it!

My thought on LSD is basically the weakest link theory. If you put 300+hp to a car, you're going to find the weakest link. If you have skinny tires, then that may be the weakest link. Lots of tire smoke. If you have a tired half shaft or tranny, you'll find it. If you have an open diff with slicks or 255 street tires (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) then you're likely to find out if any of your other parts are weak. POSI and big meats will require a stout drive train or a weak right foot.

Or you could just putt around town and rev the engine at stoplights...

+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jun 25 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #18

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jun 25 2005, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 07:31 AM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bs.gif)

It's not torque FROM both sides....

It is torque hooking up to the pavement at both sides of the transaxle.

That adds stress to the whole drive system.

With the rear tires grabbing the pavement, the trans is forced to take more torque stress.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 25 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Scott, just throw out the posi, and do lots of one legged burn outs!

then give it to me...

You have a stout trani, Im sure it can handle the posi, besides, its just a little extra traction, Just dont do any launches and you'll be fine. If you ever autox or race it, you'll find that the posi will help, just a itty bit because you'll break the rear end loose anyways with just a 1/8th of the throttle on a turn...(autox)

Andrew

btw... YAY!!! finally...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 25 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #20

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Yeah man... it's about how much torque you are milling, and what's actually sticking.

You could be putting out 385lbs/ft on the tq, but only sticking 10lbs.. then you are ok.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

M
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 02:00 PM