Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Newbie, I’m now a 914 owner
gturner008
post Apr 21 2020, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,163
Region Association: Canada

Hello everyone. I have just purchased my first 914. It’s a 1976, ivory white, 39k miles from new. One previous owner.

It’s the car off BaT - from a few weeks back ($18k - RNM). Collect this afternoon.

I inspected the car for 3 hours, including on a ramp. It is super original and in great condition. Never been painted. Zero rust. My plan is to detail it back to factory stock.

Very few jobs to do. The rear springs look saggy. Might need to change these. Other than a service, should be good. It sat in a garage since 2004 - only 100 miles last 16 years. I’ll need to check all rubber parts - but look ok.

Anyone got any advice for me? I have a 72 911, but know nothing about 914. What’s recommendations on things to check and do? I appreciate any advice as a raw new owner. It’s worth looking at the BaT listing. The one with the 914 decals on the doors. These were applied by the selling dealer in 1976. One owner since then. I’m torn on either removing (and risk paint issues) or leaving. Any thoughts?

Thank you for allowing me to join. Live in Toronto. Gary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
JOEPROPER
post Apr 21 2020, 06:49 AM
Post #2

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Pictures... Is that the car in the snow??
+Quote Post
gturner008
post Apr 21 2020, 06:51 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 21 2020, 06:49 AM) *

Let me take some tomorrow after I collect today. Easiest thing is to go look at the BringaTrailer listing. There are 150 photos
+Quote Post
sb914
post Apr 21 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:44 AM) *

Hello everyone. I have just purchased my first 914. It’s a 1976, ivory white, 39k miles from new. One previous owner.

It’s the car off BaT - from a few weeks back ($18k - RNM). Collect this afternoon.

I inspected the car for 3 hours, including on a ramp. It is super original and in great condition. Never been painted. Zero rust. My plan is to detail it back to factory stock.

Very few jobs to do. The rear springs look saggy. Might need to change these. Other than a service, should be good. It sat in a garage since 2004 - only 100 miles last 16 years. I’ll need to check all rubber parts - but look ok.

Anyone got any advice for me? I have a 72 911, but know nothing about 914. What’s recommendations on things to check and do? I appreciate any advice as a raw new owner. It’s worth looking at the BaT listing. The one with the 914 decals on the doors. These were applied by the selling dealer in 1976. One owner since then. I’m torn on either removing (and risk paint issues) or leaving. Any thoughts?

Thank you for allowing me to join. Live in Toronto. Gary

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) It has rust,you just haven’t found it yet. They all do !
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Apr 21 2020, 07:18 AM
Post #5

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Great, late model Ivory ! Have fun with your 914. Recommendation I can give is to check the fuel lines if it was not driven for a long time. I found this community to be very helpfull in all matters so just post updates and questions. Enjoy !
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Apr 21 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

George at Automobile Atlanta just got 100 sets of stock rear springs made if you need them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gturner008
post Apr 21 2020, 07:57 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:25 AM) *

George at Automobile Atlanta just got 100 sets of stock rear springs made if you need them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

That’s great news about springs. I’ll order some. Will I need a spring compressor to do the job?

Regarding zero rust, I’m totally with the comment about finding it.

However, I’ve been around Porsche for 25 years now, and I’ve never seen a car like this 914. It was Ziebert’d from new - and the impact that treatment had is astonishing. Helped by the fact it lived its entire life in dry warm US states and always garaged and cleaned (and serviced). And 39k miles.

I’ve been over the car with a fine tooth comb. Not seen a spec of corrosion. Anywhere. I’m not looking at the car through rose tinted glasses - I checked out the car throughly before buying. I’d have walked if I was not sure the car was perfect.

The BaT photos by the seller were good. The car is much better than the pictures. I found absolutely nothing in, under or on the car.

I know it sounds crazy to say zero rust. I was very sceptical when I went to see the car. But I was gob smacked when I inspected.

Let me get the car home today, and take detailed pictures. I’ll gladly share.

Thanks for advice about fuel lines. I’ll do research and take a good look.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 21 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations on a great buy. I am sure you are already on top of this to get your car back on the road. Fuel system flush, fuel filter, consider replacing the fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines, brake fluid flush and maybe replace the 4 soft brake lines at the wheels, rebuild the calipers, fresh pads, pack wheel bearings, drain the transaxle and put in new gear oil, complete engine service including valve adjustment, vacuum lines, belts, plugs, wires, filters, etc. Look for any signs of mice and their nests, lubricate all hinges, locks, check all lights. Full wash and wax. Drive the heck out of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gturner008
post Apr 21 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:58 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations on a great buy. I am sure you are already on top of this to get your car back on the road. Fuel system flush, fuel filter, consider replacing the fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines, brake fluid flush and maybe replace the 4 soft brake lines at the wheels, rebuild the calipers, fresh pads, pack wheel bearings, drain the transaxle and put in new gear oil, complete engine service including valve adjustment, vacuum lines, belts, plugs, wires, filters, etc. Look for any signs of mice and their nests, lubricate all hinges, locks, check all lights. Full wash and wax. Drive the heck out of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ah, that’s a lot of things to add to my to do list. Many thanks. I’ll buy the parts. Is AA the best place to shop?

My plan is to get it to show standard. That’s going to need a lot of hours and effort, but I think it’ll be worth it. Given it’s original and never messed with - and original paint, it’s a great starting point.

One quick question. The dash pad on passenger side has some minor dents in the foam. If I remove the dash, do you think I can retain the vinyl and find a way to replace the foam backing?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 21 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

You've been around Porsche's for 25 years and you bought a 914. Did you learn nothing in those 25 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With others comments. Check fuel lines carefully and replace with SS lines if that hasn't been done. Once your sure it won't burn to the ground flush your old brake fluid with new fluid. After you know it will stop drive it like you stole it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 21 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Welcome, Tangerine racing for your SS fuel lines. Lots of 914 vendors out there. I have bought from most of them, just do a little research and listen to these forum members there pretty smart......., (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 21 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:11 AM) *

Ah, that’s a lot of things to add to my to do list. Many thanks. I’ll buy the parts. Is AA the best place to shop?

My plan is to get it to show standard. That’s going to need a lot of hours and effort, but I think it’ll be worth it. Given it’s original and never messed with - and original paint, it’s a great starting point.

One quick question. The dash pad on passenger side has some minor dents in the foam. If I remove the dash, do you think I can retain the vinyl and find a way to replace the foam backing?

914rubber.com is your friend for the dash and most 914 parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 21 2020, 08:57 AM
Post #13

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:11 AM) *

914rubber.com is your friend for the dash and most 914 parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) "914Rubber" Great resource for our wacky cars...cool dudes!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 21 2020, 10:07 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome. Congrats on finding a clean example for your first 914.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 21 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:59 AM) *
It has rust,you just haven’t found it yet. They all do !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 21 2020, 10:35 AM
Post #16

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great looking car. Since you're a newbie, these may come in handy...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCY...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Welcome to the addiction!

Ian
+Quote Post
kroelofsen
post Apr 21 2020, 11:04 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 23,255

Enjoy the ride!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Apr 21 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,773

Welcome! I'd love to see some pics!

Never mind it hink it's this one!
+Quote Post
gturner008
post Apr 21 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Apr 21 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Correct. This is the one. It’s the zero rust one! Let’s see once I get the chance to thoroughly check it over
+Quote Post
jfort
post Apr 21 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:58 AM) *

I second the stainless steel fuel lines and the brake lines
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:09 AM