Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Steering Rack Removal Question
Ansbacher
post Jun 21 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,589

I want to replace my steering rack with a nice rebuilt unit I got awhile back. All of the instructions I have seen say to disconnect the outer tie rods as part of the removal process. Question- can I just disconnect the inner tie rods, or will I not be able to get access to them, until the rack is out? My outer tie rods are relatively new and I don't want to bugger them up to do this job if possible? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
914werke
post Jun 21 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Probably not what you want to hear but If I was going to that trouble Id replace with a Turbo tie rod kit.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 21 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

You can remove old tie rods and install new tie rods with the rack installed, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 21 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

You can detach the outer tie rods for removal. Turbo tie rods can be installed, but if yours are newer I’d just focus on the rack portion for now.

Also note there is a lot of variation in 914 and 911 racks. Some are actually longer (and shorter). If this is the case you will definitely have to adjust the alignment. They are close but I’ve seen 3 different lengths not to mention other variations.

The removal part that you will probably struggle with is the top side. Do note there is a slot cut out of the rod to allow the bolt clearance. You will need that info later when you try to reinstall. As long as the bearing at the top is good you will not have to remove the tank. It may be possible to do so, I just haven’t tried that yet.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 21 2020, 09:56 PM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@Ansbacher
date='Jun 21 2020, 02:59 PM' post='2826947']
I want to replace my steering rack with a nice rebuilt unit I got awhile back. All of the instructions I have seen say to disconnect the outer tie rods as part of the removal process. Question- can I just disconnect the inner tie rods, or will I not be able to get access to them, until the rack is out? My outer tie rods are relatively new and I don't want to bugger them up to do this job if possible? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
[/quote]
Clearance is tight to remove the inner tie rods end bolts that have a safety cotter pin. Easier to disconnect the outer tie rods and remove the whole rack.
Compare the height to the boss that takes the mounting bolt of the old and rebuilt racks. They changed around 1972 to reduce bump steer. The mounting bolts are different lenght.
If you are going with new tie rods the fastest way to remove the rack is cut the tie rod tube in the middle.
I have seen only one rack length of 914 rack.
The very early 911 racks were shorter and do not require the spacers in the turbo tie rod kit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:38 AM