Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How long did you have to wait for the right 914?, Tell your story
SavingManuals
post Jan 31 2021, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,044
Region Association: None

Maybe you knew of a specific car or you were just wishing one would hit the market that checked the right boxes for you.

What's your story?

I know I'm not the only one who loves a good car story!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cairo94507
post Jan 31 2021, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK, I will play. I had been looking for a '71 914-6 for about half a year when I got a message from SirAndy that he had located one in Santa Cruz while he was down there in his 914. Apparently this guy walked up to him and said, "I have a 914-6 at home and I am thinking about selling it someday." Andy followed him to his home and sure enough it was a '71 914-6. They talked and Andy was not able to make the deal. So Andy forwarded the info to me.

I called the guy, Mike Acosta, and we talked and he told me he would like to sell it but may just give it to his daughter to restore and drive. I asked if I could come see the car as I was only about 1 hour north of him, give or take. He gave me his address and I told him I would be down.

I asked my wife if she wanted to take her dad to lunch in Santa Cruz (see where I screwed up?) and she said sure. So we grabbed him and headed down and I said, "Do you mind if we stop so I can check out a car?" She said, "Sure, that's fine". Huh......

We get there and Mike opens the garage door and pulls the cover off and it is indeed a '71 914-6 and it seems to be almost all there. I begin negotiating with him re price and my wife looks at me and says, "What are you doing?" I say, "Trying to buy this car." That lit the fuse and she was like, "You are not buying that car." I excuse myself and tell Mike I will give him a call, but we had to leave." He laughs and says "OK".

Over the next 9 months, I negotiated with Mike, bought my wife a new MBZ E550 coupe (bribe), and she finally relented and said I could buy the 914-6. 2 days later it was in my garage at a price that worked for both Mike and I.

My wife walked out into the garage and said, "What is that rusted piece of Xhit doing in the garage?" Yes, that was the start of my wife's love affair with my 914-6.

Needless to say, 10 years and 6 months later, it was the perfectly restored example I had always wanted thanks to The Justice League (Jim Geer, Kent Simmons, Andrew Thonet and Bob).

Then when my wife saw it parked next to her Macan GTS in the garage, she called it a "clown car". I was hurt and asked why she called it that. She said, "Look at it, it looks like a roller skate next to my GTS." I took her for a ride and she looked at me and said, "I am sorry. It's not a clown car. It is a beautiful Porsche."

Oh, and yes, once it was finished my brother and I drove it back to Santa Cruz and showed it too Mike and his wife. They were blown away and loved it and thanked me for bringing it back as I had promised when I bought it for them to see.

So, that's my story as best as I can recall. I hope you got a laugh out of it.
+Quote Post
SavingManuals
post Jan 31 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,044

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2021, 10:15 AM) *

OK, I will play. I had been looking for a '71 914-6 for about half a year when I got a message from SirAndy that he had located one in Santa Cruz while he was down there in his 914. Apparently this guy walked up to him and said, "I have a 914-6 at home and I am thinking about selling it someday." Andy followed him to his home and sure enough it was a '71 914-6. They talked and Andy was not able to make the deal. So Andy forwarded the info to me.

I called the guy, Mike Acosta, and we talked and he told me he would like to sell it but may just give it to his daughter to restore and drive. I asked if I could come see the car as I was only about 1 hour north of him, give or take. He gave me his address and I told him I would be down.

I asked my wife if she wanted to take her dad to lunch in Santa Cruz (see where I screwed up?) and she said sure. So we grabbed him and headed down and I said, "Do you mind if we stop so I can check out a car?" She said, "Sure, that's fine". Huh......

We get there and Mike opens the garage door and pulls the cover off and it is indeed a '71 914-6 and it seems to be almost all there. I begin negotiating with him re price and my wife looks at me and says, "What are you doing?" I say, "Trying to buy this car." That lit the fuse and she was like, "You are not buying that car." I excuse myself and tell Mike I will give him a call, but we had to leave." He laughs and says "OK".

Over the next 9 months, I negotiated with Mike, bought my wife a new MBZ E550 coupe (bribe), and she finally relented and said I could buy the 914-6. 2 days later it was in my garage at a price that worked for both Mike and I.

My wife walked out into the garage and said, "What is that rusted piece of Xhit doing in the garage?" Yes, that was the start of my wife's love affair with my 914-6.

Needless to say, 10 years and 6 months later, it was the perfectly restored example I had always wanted thanks to The Justice League (Jim Geer, Kent Simmons, Andrew Thonet and Bob).

Then when my wife saw it parked next to her Macan GTS in the garage, she called it a "clown car". I was hurt and asked why she called it that. She said, "Look at it, it looks like a roller skate next to my GTS." I took her for a ride and she looked at me and said, "I am sorry. It's not a clown car. It is a beautiful Porsche."

Oh, and yes, once it was finished my brother and I drove it back to Santa Cruz and showed it too Mike and his wife. They were blown away and loved it and thanked me for bringing it back as I had promised when I bought it for them to see.

So, that's my story as best as I can recall. I hope you got a laugh out of it.

Thanks for kicking it off with a good one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Selling the idea to your wife is definitely part of the chase (or fun, as I call it).
+Quote Post
oldie914
post Jan 31 2021, 12:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,680

Didn't have to wait long for mine.
In 1970, I was sent by the US Army to work at the post engineers in Stuttgart Zuffenhausen. At the time,I was driving a corvair but a guy in the office had a 911 so I decided I wanted a Porsche.
Went to the Porsche dealer in Stuttgart and they had six 914/6s on their lot. They were dealer demonstrator cars returned to the factory for sale and cost DM 13,000 which was about the price of a new 914/4. A new 914/6 cost DM 20,000.
I picked one with the color I liked but was too dumb to get one without rust underneath the battery. Ran it hard for 3 years and then moved on to a 911.
Attached are some pictures.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jan 31 2021, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

In 1979, my brother came to my place in san diego. He pulls up in a saturn yellow 1972 914, just like our uncle bought in 1970. I saw that car and I had to have it. Three years later in 1982, I traded my 67 mustang fastback to my brother for that teener. That was a long three years. Still have it.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 31 2021, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I guess I'm kinda the other way around: The "right" 914 had to wait for me.

By 1988, it was a $3,000 faded, used-up 914 1.7 with 134,000 miles—this before a door and a taillight were kicked in down in Pomona. My brother, in college and newly hooked on motorcycles, left the 914 for dead at my parents' house with a slipping clutch. As I waited to turn 16, I was more interested in GTIs than the oxidized, deeply "uncool" 914 in the garage; my eyes were on our old A1 (diesel!). When the Rabbit blew up, the 914 was the only "spare" set of wheels—my parents said I could use it if I could fix, insure, and fuel it on my own dime. So I started going to junkyards and turning wrenches…

More than 30 years later, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. The 914 altered my path in ways I'm not sure the Rabbit would have…

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 31 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Less than 24 hours! Graduated college in 74, headed to local Porsche dealer in Richmond the next morning and found my treasure. Only had $1.27 in my checking account (hey, that's HUGE these days...) so parents were willing to cosign the 3-year loan (that's NOTHING these days...). Ate macaroni and cheese for 3 years, didn't have a phone for 2 years and didn't have a TV for 1 year, but I got my 914!! Still have it!
Glad to say it has more replacement parts than me.
Then:Attached Image
Now: Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 31 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

I only had to wait one week; Purchased new at the dealer in Feb.1974. I brought my Cali D.L. and a cashiers check for down payment on a black 2L that saw in the lot that week.
When I came to claim it, the doberman guard dogs had chewed all 4 bumperettes ! Took a week for replacemet parts; dogs might have sniffed the "Dogbone" spacers inside the bumpers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 31 2021, 07:39 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

914 #1
I had been dreaming for years, but once I decided to buy one, I did not wait enough. I saw a listing in Panorama (out of state), called the owner and arranged for a PPI. Based on the owner story and the PPI report I bought it without seeing it. But the owner colluded with the shop, and after a loooong shipping delay I received a very rusty car. I was as mad at myself as at the seller, so I parked it.

914 #2
While on a business trip I got notice of a local car, went to see it, and bought it. This one was 98% perfect, and became my DD and fun car for about 3 years. I sold 914 #1, and enjoyed #2 until my first kid was born and I got an itch for racing.

914 #3
I spent about 6 months looking for a race car candidate, i.e. clean and mechanically solid but not pretty. I found a car with a straight body but trashed interior, and built that into a car for SCCA IT and PCA racing. Meanwhile I sold #2 and bought a 944 that could take a car seat in the rear.

914 #4
Many years later, I got the itch for a project car and to own a 914 again. I was not really looking when I met a guy at a local C&C who had one to sell. He sent a few pictures and got me interested, when I figured out the car was 1000 miles away. I had a friend check out the car, which seemed very clean, and so again, bought a 914 without seeing it. And again, I found more trouble than expected. But that car became the subject of my build thread.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Jan 31 2021, 09:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 20,484

My sister bought a used 914 in 1975, I loved riding around in that car. As time went on I was into VWs, then Mustangs, then Sunbeam Tigers, finally got around to getting that cool little car about 4 years ago. It's a keeper.
Attached Image sister's car
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 31 2021, 09:43 PM
Post #11

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

When I was in High School, I started dating my wife of 39 years. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we called it the "blow up car", knowing that if we were ever rear ended, the cars were known to become roman candles. I was mowing my neighbor's lawn one afternoon, and he approached me and asked if I was going to the school prom soon with my girlfriend. When I told him I was, he informed me that it just wasn't right to take her on this big date in a Pinto. He had just purchased a new silver 914 and he offered it to me to use to take her to the dance! I couldn't believe it, and neither could she when I pulled up in this little racy Porsche to take her out for the big night!.
My generous neighbor continued to let me use the 914 whenever I had a significant date night, and I will be forever grateful to him. After we were married, my wife and I always said that whenever we had a little extra coin someday, we would pick up a 914. We finally made it financially, and my wife and son went out and bought a nice yellow one and surprised me with it!
When I told my friends that my wife bought my 914 for me, they asked where they could get one. I said "A car like this?". And they said "No, we can get the car anywhere, we want to know where to get a wife that will buy us a sports car!". Good luck, she's pretty special. I'm not so sure I would lend out my 914 today to some punk 16 year old kid like I was then! My neighbor was one of my heroes!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 31 2021, 10:24 PM
Post #12

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I’ll be waiting awhile longer. I doubt the museum will sell me Ferry’s birthday car at a price I can afford.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 31 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #13

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

When I decided I could no longer afford wheel to wheel racing, I sold my red/yellow 914 and started searching for something I could enjoy on the street. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I had known 'Elvira' (back then called '1SLIK6') and both of her PO's.
I made an offer when the car became available. My offer was rejected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I continued my search for another year. Finding nothing suitable, I made the same offer again and it was accepted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I find it amazing that nobody bought the car in all that time.
My only explanation is that Elvira was meant to be mine.
I can't imagine that anybody else could have loved her more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 1 2021, 01:29 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 31 2021, 10:24 PM) *

I’ll be waiting awhile longer. I doubt the museum will sell me Ferry’s birthday car at a price I can afford.

thats good, because i want mr piech's and i don't need a bidding war on my budget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

----

those two photos you put up mr. starbear are just fantastic.
its the same car, not many people would do that.
a time bubble.
you should be the next Dr. Who.

-----

thats a great story mr. oakdalecurtis.
i've noticed girls like 914s.
not because they are impressed, its because they tell me it is feminine!
thats a good thing.

-----

i had to dream about the impossibility of it all from about 1977 when i used to hang out with a german hippy in country victoria, (pretending to be his assistant) who owned not one but two NSU RO80s. both still running the wankel engines - and who said to me re the 914, just keep chasing it, you will get one. i was 17 then. i saw my first 914 when i was 12 on a christmas shopping trip to the capital city with my mother. i must have fluked that as it would have been the one and only 914 in aus that the distributor owned.
my mother had to drag me away from it. it was red. i fluked getting to the USA and getting an education (even that was a dream i didn't think i could really make happen) and a bit like star bear i had to live on chewing gum to get it back to aus and get it on the road here. i did that pretty quick i suppose, only took about 18 years. i guess its not really mr. piech's car thats the right one, its the one i've got and i'm sticking with it. its red, its got 15% of his engine, but it will do me just fine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)Attached Image Attached Image

ps the 914/sex with the steelies in front of the ye olde euro wind mill is just the ants pants.
thank you mr. oldie914
(looks like you had a flat back tyre -- or maybe its the dutch minimalist curb---- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) ) and who cares. gold.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 1 2021, 11:50 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 31 2021, 07:12 PM) *

I only had to wait one week; Purchased new at the dealer in Feb.1974. I brought my Cali D.L. and a cashiers check for down payment on a black 2L that saw in the lot that week.
When I came to claim it, the doberman guard dogs had chewed all 4 bumperettes ! Took a week for replacemet parts; dogs might have sniffed the "Dogbone" spacers inside the bumpers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Cool, @Maltese Falcon"; Do you still have it? Another original owner?
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 1 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #16

@oakdalecurtis Definitely a keeper - both the car and the wife!
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Feb 1 2021, 11:58 AM
Post #17

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

I bought an original paint, black car...... perfect condition.

Then sold it.

It shipped off to Germany.

I sold it for $4000 (a long time ago)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(my current car needs paint..... I remember that black car all the time. Keep your cars, people!)
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 1 2021, 02:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,138

I’ve been involved in the Porsche community / hobby for over 35 years. I’ve always been attracted to 914’s but have never owned one……mostly early 911’s. The most recent early 911 that I owned was a ’67 that I sold 8 years ago to purchase a new 991….which I regret doing. The values of early 911's have gone through the roof so the thought of purchasing another early 911 was out of the question so I decided that I would consider looking for a 914 before these cars went the same route. After a long 2 year search I finally found the right 914 that I was looking for…..a low mileage 1974 914 2.0L in silver on black with some nice options…..appearance package, chrome bumpers, alloys, tinted glass, radio, etc. It’s pretty well optioned with the exception of sway bars or heated rear window. I purchased the car out of Minneapolis from the owner who owned it for 10 years. The car has had 4 owners since new and has the manuals, some documentation and other miscellaneous paperwork. Everything on the car is 100% original on the interior and exterior with the exception of (1) exterior repaint because of clear coat paint failure. The drivetrain is a numbers matching GA engine with the original D-Jetronic FI system intact. The suspension is original with the factory paint markings still intact on the front strut towers. After owning this car for the past 5 years I can now clearly see what the attraction is.....in fact, I like the mid-engine design / layout so much that I just purchased an '08 Cayman in the same silver / black color scheme to compliment the 914 in the garage. I'm now looking forward to more time and miles behind the wheel of both a new and old mid-engine Porsche.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 1 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

@StarBear yessir same car ...decades apart with a few Bolt-ons added (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Feb 1 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,819

I wasnt looking for a 914 at all. My brother bought a vw beetle so we borrowed the rollback from his work to go pick it up about an hour away. On the way home i spotted the 914 in someones driveway in a sad state. We stoped and i knocked on the ladys door. I figured the vw on the truck would show I was serious. They had a bad flood in 06 and again in 2011 her husband passed away from all he stress of it. She had all kinda of offers for the car but I was the only one who didnt want to scrap it! I made an offer of $200. she said yes but wanted to discuss it with her son first. By the time we got home to drop off the vw we got the call to come get the 914. So we did. It looked alot better than it was. I thought i wasnt going to have to mess with the body but turned out to be just full of bondo with nothing underneth. But i went at it and fixed it up anyway. She wanted me to come by when i got it done but I still havnt made it up that way.Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:22 AM