Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long did you have to wait for the right 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SavingManuals
Maybe you knew of a specific car or you were just wishing one would hit the market that checked the right boxes for you.

What's your story?

I know I'm not the only one who loves a good car story!
Cairo94507
OK, I will play. I had been looking for a '71 914-6 for about half a year when I got a message from SirAndy that he had located one in Santa Cruz while he was down there in his 914. Apparently this guy walked up to him and said, "I have a 914-6 at home and I am thinking about selling it someday." Andy followed him to his home and sure enough it was a '71 914-6. They talked and Andy was not able to make the deal. So Andy forwarded the info to me.

I called the guy, Mike Acosta, and we talked and he told me he would like to sell it but may just give it to his daughter to restore and drive. I asked if I could come see the car as I was only about 1 hour north of him, give or take. He gave me his address and I told him I would be down.

I asked my wife if she wanted to take her dad to lunch in Santa Cruz (see where I screwed up?) and she said sure. So we grabbed him and headed down and I said, "Do you mind if we stop so I can check out a car?" She said, "Sure, that's fine". Huh......

We get there and Mike opens the garage door and pulls the cover off and it is indeed a '71 914-6 and it seems to be almost all there. I begin negotiating with him re price and my wife looks at me and says, "What are you doing?" I say, "Trying to buy this car." That lit the fuse and she was like, "You are not buying that car." I excuse myself and tell Mike I will give him a call, but we had to leave." He laughs and says "OK".

Over the next 9 months, I negotiated with Mike, bought my wife a new MBZ E550 coupe (bribe), and she finally relented and said I could buy the 914-6. 2 days later it was in my garage at a price that worked for both Mike and I.

My wife walked out into the garage and said, "What is that rusted piece of Xhit doing in the garage?" Yes, that was the start of my wife's love affair with my 914-6.

Needless to say, 10 years and 6 months later, it was the perfectly restored example I had always wanted thanks to The Justice League (Jim Geer, Kent Simmons, Andrew Thonet and Bob).

Then when my wife saw it parked next to her Macan GTS in the garage, she called it a "clown car". I was hurt and asked why she called it that. She said, "Look at it, it looks like a roller skate next to my GTS." I took her for a ride and she looked at me and said, "I am sorry. It's not a clown car. It is a beautiful Porsche."

Oh, and yes, once it was finished my brother and I drove it back to Santa Cruz and showed it too Mike and his wife. They were blown away and loved it and thanked me for bringing it back as I had promised when I bought it for them to see.

So, that's my story as best as I can recall. I hope you got a laugh out of it.
SavingManuals
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2021, 10:15 AM) *

OK, I will play. I had been looking for a '71 914-6 for about half a year when I got a message from SirAndy that he had located one in Santa Cruz while he was down there in his 914. Apparently this guy walked up to him and said, "I have a 914-6 at home and I am thinking about selling it someday." Andy followed him to his home and sure enough it was a '71 914-6. They talked and Andy was not able to make the deal. So Andy forwarded the info to me.

I called the guy, Mike Acosta, and we talked and he told me he would like to sell it but may just give it to his daughter to restore and drive. I asked if I could come see the car as I was only about 1 hour north of him, give or take. He gave me his address and I told him I would be down.

I asked my wife if she wanted to take her dad to lunch in Santa Cruz (see where I screwed up?) and she said sure. So we grabbed him and headed down and I said, "Do you mind if we stop so I can check out a car?" She said, "Sure, that's fine". Huh......

We get there and Mike opens the garage door and pulls the cover off and it is indeed a '71 914-6 and it seems to be almost all there. I begin negotiating with him re price and my wife looks at me and says, "What are you doing?" I say, "Trying to buy this car." That lit the fuse and she was like, "You are not buying that car." I excuse myself and tell Mike I will give him a call, but we had to leave." He laughs and says "OK".

Over the next 9 months, I negotiated with Mike, bought my wife a new MBZ E550 coupe (bribe), and she finally relented and said I could buy the 914-6. 2 days later it was in my garage at a price that worked for both Mike and I.

My wife walked out into the garage and said, "What is that rusted piece of Xhit doing in the garage?" Yes, that was the start of my wife's love affair with my 914-6.

Needless to say, 10 years and 6 months later, it was the perfectly restored example I had always wanted thanks to The Justice League (Jim Geer, Kent Simmons, Andrew Thonet and Bob).

Then when my wife saw it parked next to her Macan GTS in the garage, she called it a "clown car". I was hurt and asked why she called it that. She said, "Look at it, it looks like a roller skate next to my GTS." I took her for a ride and she looked at me and said, "I am sorry. It's not a clown car. It is a beautiful Porsche."

Oh, and yes, once it was finished my brother and I drove it back to Santa Cruz and showed it too Mike and his wife. They were blown away and loved it and thanked me for bringing it back as I had promised when I bought it for them to see.

So, that's my story as best as I can recall. I hope you got a laugh out of it.

Thanks for kicking it off with a good one! pray.gif
Selling the idea to your wife is definitely part of the chase (or fun, as I call it).
oldie914
Didn't have to wait long for mine.
In 1970, I was sent by the US Army to work at the post engineers in Stuttgart Zuffenhausen. At the time,I was driving a corvair but a guy in the office had a 911 so I decided I wanted a Porsche.
Went to the Porsche dealer in Stuttgart and they had six 914/6s on their lot. They were dealer demonstrator cars returned to the factory for sale and cost DM 13,000 which was about the price of a new 914/4. A new 914/6 cost DM 20,000.
I picked one with the color I liked but was too dumb to get one without rust underneath the battery. Ran it hard for 3 years and then moved on to a 911.
Attached are some pictures.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Shivers
In 1979, my brother came to my place in san diego. He pulls up in a saturn yellow 1972 914, just like our uncle bought in 1970. I saw that car and I had to have it. Three years later in 1982, I traded my 67 mustang fastback to my brother for that teener. That was a long three years. Still have it.
horizontally-opposed
I guess I'm kinda the other way around: The "right" 914 had to wait for me.

By 1988, it was a $3,000 faded, used-up 914 1.7 with 134,000 miles—this before a door and a taillight were kicked in down in Pomona. My brother, in college and newly hooked on motorcycles, left the 914 for dead at my parents' house with a slipping clutch. As I waited to turn 16, I was more interested in GTIs than the oxidized, deeply "uncool" 914 in the garage; my eyes were on our old A1 (diesel!). When the Rabbit blew up, the 914 was the only "spare" set of wheels—my parents said I could use it if I could fix, insure, and fuel it on my own dime. So I started going to junkyards and turning wrenches…

More than 30 years later, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. The 914 altered my path in ways I'm not sure the Rabbit would have…
StarBear
Less than 24 hours! Graduated college in 74, headed to local Porsche dealer in Richmond the next morning and found my treasure. Only had $1.27 in my checking account (hey, that's HUGE these days...) so parents were willing to cosign the 3-year loan (that's NOTHING these days...). Ate macaroni and cheese for 3 years, didn't have a phone for 2 years and didn't have a TV for 1 year, but I got my 914!! Still have it!
Glad to say it has more replacement parts than me.
Then:Click to view attachment
Now: Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I only had to wait one week; Purchased new at the dealer in Feb.1974. I brought my Cali D.L. and a cashiers check for down payment on a black 2L that saw in the lot that week.
When I came to claim it, the doberman guard dogs had chewed all 4 bumperettes ! Took a week for replacemet parts; dogs might have sniffed the "Dogbone" spacers inside the bumpers biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bkrantz
914 #1
I had been dreaming for years, but once I decided to buy one, I did not wait enough. I saw a listing in Panorama (out of state), called the owner and arranged for a PPI. Based on the owner story and the PPI report I bought it without seeing it. But the owner colluded with the shop, and after a loooong shipping delay I received a very rusty car. I was as mad at myself as at the seller, so I parked it.

914 #2
While on a business trip I got notice of a local car, went to see it, and bought it. This one was 98% perfect, and became my DD and fun car for about 3 years. I sold 914 #1, and enjoyed #2 until my first kid was born and I got an itch for racing.

914 #3
I spent about 6 months looking for a race car candidate, i.e. clean and mechanically solid but not pretty. I found a car with a straight body but trashed interior, and built that into a car for SCCA IT and PCA racing. Meanwhile I sold #2 and bought a 944 that could take a car seat in the rear.

914 #4
Many years later, I got the itch for a project car and to own a 914 again. I was not really looking when I met a guy at a local C&C who had one to sell. He sent a few pictures and got me interested, when I figured out the car was 1000 miles away. I had a friend check out the car, which seemed very clean, and so again, bought a 914 without seeing it. And again, I found more trouble than expected. But that car became the subject of my build thread.
flat4guy
My sister bought a used 914 in 1975, I loved riding around in that car. As time went on I was into VWs, then Mustangs, then Sunbeam Tigers, finally got around to getting that cool little car about 4 years ago. It's a keeper.
Click to view attachment sister's car
oakdalecurtis
When I was in High School, I started dating my wife of 39 years. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we called it the "blow up car", knowing that if we were ever rear ended, the cars were known to become roman candles. I was mowing my neighbor's lawn one afternoon, and he approached me and asked if I was going to the school prom soon with my girlfriend. When I told him I was, he informed me that it just wasn't right to take her on this big date in a Pinto. He had just purchased a new silver 914 and he offered it to me to use to take her to the dance! I couldn't believe it, and neither could she when I pulled up in this little racy Porsche to take her out for the big night!.
My generous neighbor continued to let me use the 914 whenever I had a significant date night, and I will be forever grateful to him. After we were married, my wife and I always said that whenever we had a little extra coin someday, we would pick up a 914. We finally made it financially, and my wife and son went out and bought a nice yellow one and surprised me with it!
When I told my friends that my wife bought my 914 for me, they asked where they could get one. I said "A car like this?". And they said "No, we can get the car anywhere, we want to know where to get a wife that will buy us a sports car!". Good luck, she's pretty special. I'm not so sure I would lend out my 914 today to some punk 16 year old kid like I was then! My neighbor was one of my heroes!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
I’ll be waiting awhile longer. I doubt the museum will sell me Ferry’s birthday car at a price I can afford.
VegasRacer
When I decided I could no longer afford wheel to wheel racing, I sold my red/yellow 914 and started searching for something I could enjoy on the street. driving.gif
I had known 'Elvira' (back then called '1SLIK6') and both of her PO's.
I made an offer when the car became available. My offer was rejected. sad.gif
I continued my search for another year. Finding nothing suitable, I made the same offer again and it was accepted. smile.gif

I find it amazing that nobody bought the car in all that time.
My only explanation is that Elvira was meant to be mine.
I can't imagine that anybody else could have loved her more. wub.gif

wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 31 2021, 10:24 PM) *

I’ll be waiting awhile longer. I doubt the museum will sell me Ferry’s birthday car at a price I can afford.

thats good, because i want mr piech's and i don't need a bidding war on my budget smile.gif

----

those two photos you put up mr. starbear are just fantastic.
its the same car, not many people would do that.
a time bubble.
you should be the next Dr. Who.

-----

thats a great story mr. oakdalecurtis.
i've noticed girls like 914s.
not because they are impressed, its because they tell me it is feminine!
thats a good thing.

-----

i had to dream about the impossibility of it all from about 1977 when i used to hang out with a german hippy in country victoria, (pretending to be his assistant) who owned not one but two NSU RO80s. both still running the wankel engines - and who said to me re the 914, just keep chasing it, you will get one. i was 17 then. i saw my first 914 when i was 12 on a christmas shopping trip to the capital city with my mother. i must have fluked that as it would have been the one and only 914 in aus that the distributor owned.
my mother had to drag me away from it. it was red. i fluked getting to the USA and getting an education (even that was a dream i didn't think i could really make happen) and a bit like star bear i had to live on chewing gum to get it back to aus and get it on the road here. i did that pretty quick i suppose, only took about 18 years. i guess its not really mr. piech's car thats the right one, its the one i've got and i'm sticking with it. its red, its got 15% of his engine, but it will do me just fine.

beer.gifClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

ps the 914/sex with the steelies in front of the ye olde euro wind mill is just the ants pants.
thank you mr. oldie914
(looks like you had a flat back tyre -- or maybe its the dutch minimalist curb---- beer3.gif ) and who cares. gold.
StarBear
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 31 2021, 07:12 PM) *

I only had to wait one week; Purchased new at the dealer in Feb.1974. I brought my Cali D.L. and a cashiers check for down payment on a black 2L that saw in the lot that week.
When I came to claim it, the doberman guard dogs had chewed all 4 bumperettes ! Took a week for replacemet parts; dogs might have sniffed the "Dogbone" spacers inside the bumpers biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Cool, @Maltese Falcon"; Do you still have it? Another original owner?
StarBear
@oakdalecurtis Definitely a keeper - both the car and the wife!
BuddyV
I bought an original paint, black car...... perfect condition.

Then sold it.

It shipped off to Germany.

I sold it for $4000 (a long time ago)

blink.gif

(my current car needs paint..... I remember that black car all the time. Keep your cars, people!)
Cal
I’ve been involved in the Porsche community / hobby for over 35 years. I’ve always been attracted to 914’s but have never owned one……mostly early 911’s. The most recent early 911 that I owned was a ’67 that I sold 8 years ago to purchase a new 991….which I regret doing. The values of early 911's have gone through the roof so the thought of purchasing another early 911 was out of the question so I decided that I would consider looking for a 914 before these cars went the same route. After a long 2 year search I finally found the right 914 that I was looking for…..a low mileage 1974 914 2.0L in silver on black with some nice options…..appearance package, chrome bumpers, alloys, tinted glass, radio, etc. It’s pretty well optioned with the exception of sway bars or heated rear window. I purchased the car out of Minneapolis from the owner who owned it for 10 years. The car has had 4 owners since new and has the manuals, some documentation and other miscellaneous paperwork. Everything on the car is 100% original on the interior and exterior with the exception of (1) exterior repaint because of clear coat paint failure. The drivetrain is a numbers matching GA engine with the original D-Jetronic FI system intact. The suspension is original with the factory paint markings still intact on the front strut towers. After owning this car for the past 5 years I can now clearly see what the attraction is.....in fact, I like the mid-engine design / layout so much that I just purchased an '08 Cayman in the same silver / black color scheme to compliment the 914 in the garage. I'm now looking forward to more time and miles behind the wheel of both a new and old mid-engine Porsche.
Maltese Falcon
@StarBear yessir same car ...decades apart with a few Bolt-ons added smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Porsche930dude
I wasnt looking for a 914 at all. My brother bought a vw beetle so we borrowed the rollback from his work to go pick it up about an hour away. On the way home i spotted the 914 in someones driveway in a sad state. We stoped and i knocked on the ladys door. I figured the vw on the truck would show I was serious. They had a bad flood in 06 and again in 2011 her husband passed away from all he stress of it. She had all kinda of offers for the car but I was the only one who didnt want to scrap it! I made an offer of $200. she said yes but wanted to discuss it with her son first. By the time we got home to drop off the vw we got the call to come get the 914. So we did. It looked alot better than it was. I thought i wasnt going to have to mess with the body but turned out to be just full of bondo with nothing underneth. But i went at it and fixed it up anyway. She wanted me to come by when i got it done but I still havnt made it up that way.Click to view attachment
Tdskip
What is this “waiting for the right one” thing? I though you were suppose to buy a ratty one and then make it what you want, no?
SavingManuals
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 1 2021, 07:11 PM) *

What is this “waiting for the right one” thing? I though you were suppose to buy a ratty one and then make it what you want, no?

True, true. Well, did ya find the right ratty one?? I'm thinking the "right one" is the one you had in mind and waited until one came up for sale. Or, maybe it's the one that you weren't looking for, but it just screamed "BUY ME!" and you couldn't say no.
screwy.gif

I get ya though. Part of me wants to buy one that I've had my eye on for about a month. It's banged up, the exterior is literally just rust, it sags at the doors but it's a 73 2.0 with 2 Webers, 5-lug Fuchs, a clean interior, AND...it runs. happy11.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 1 2021, 06:11 PM) *

biggrin.gif agree.gif

i forgot what time period we are in.

i met a youngish bloke (he still had his natural hair colour) out here on sunday at a very small guerilla car/coffee gig (still can't figure out if we can legally do gatherings here the covid govt. control stuff is so complicated). i made his day showing up in my cobweb on wheels. he has just bought himself a 914. wasn't even ratty, it was in boxes of aus rattiness. he asked me if he could take some photos of mine to help him put his dispersed parts list together. he was there for 3/4 of an hour, taking photos of everything. his phone ran out of juice in the end. he was going to get what he wanted for sure.
poorsche914
In May of 2016, a local 914er brought home a white '73 with GT flares and 5-lug Fuchs. The first time I saw it, I was smitten. I told him if he ever decided to sell, I wanted it!

Beyond the fantastic looks, this 914 had some very unique features including 911/914-6 suspension and brakes, 914-6 steering column and ignition switch, and factory steel flares. Power came from a supercharged 2.0L with twin plug heads. Not a lot of rust but, having been raced in the '80s (with a -6), the chassis has some scars.

I would visit “my car” during the next three years until purchasing it became a serious consideration. Finally, needing money for a real estate deal, my friend offered the car to me at a special “friends” rate – knowing that the 914 was going to someone who would get it back on the road.

I purchased the 914 in September of 2019. After deciding the Weber carb needed to be tossed in favor of a Megasquirt system (this winter's project), I pulled the Raby 2056 from my LE and installed it in the '73. Buttoned things up just in time to head to Amelia Island in March 2020. First time the 914 had been driven more than a few miles in nearly three decades!

DELIVERY
Click to view attachment

SUPERCHARGED
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Mcraneiowa
I found mine quite by accident. We live about 15 miles south west of Des Moines and on my drive home there was a neighbor down the road that had a Quonset hut with the doors always closed. Always wondered what might be stored in there. One day driving by I saw that the doors were open and noticed tail lights and thought, hey that’s a Porsche. Pulled back around to talk to the farmers wife and asked if I could look over the car and she says yeah. Really wasn’t all that interested in a 914 at the time but didn’t forget about it either. Move ahead two years later to when Covid hit. Was looking for a project to play with, talked with the farmer and ended up with a nice barn find, thankfully with very little rust. Story on the car was, it was bought new by a woman in 1974 in Des Moines and in 76 she sold it to the brother of the guy I bought it from.
It had some rust on the rear half of the floors and just a little bit around the hell hole which I had taken care of. It is a re-spray of the original color which was done about 20 years ago. So far I’ve gone through the engine fixing leaks, new flywheel, clutch, etc. basically if it was in need, I’ve replaced. I have the interior to put back this spring. With way more spent than intended, It now runs and drives well.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 1 2021, 05:48 PM) *

@StarBear yessir same car ...decades apart with a few Bolt-ons added smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Great! Now identified six original owners!
SKL1
Inherited the car gene (dominant in our family) so interesting cars were always around growing up. A friend of my dad was one of the 50 lucky people to "test" the Chrysler Turbine cars so this high school kid got to drive it.
Wanted a MGB-GT the worst way in high school but my dad was smart enough to not let me have a car until I graduated from college. Once I was accepted to med school he let me get my dream car, either a 2002 or 914. The rest is history- still have the 9/70 production date 1971 914 and it is still going strong after 50 years.

And both my boys (and my 4 year old grandson) also inherited the car gene so it will always be in the family...
StarBear
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 2 2021, 11:30 PM) *

Inherited the car gene (dominant in our family) so interesting cars were always around growing up. A friend of my dad was one of the 50 lucky people to "test" the Chrysler Turbine cars so this high school kid got to drive it.
Wanted a MGB-GT the worst way in high school but my dad was smart enough to not let me have a car until I graduated from college. Once I was accepted to med school he let me get my dream car, either a 2002 or 914. The rest is history- still have the 9/70 production date 1971 914 and it is still going strong after 50 years.

And both my boys (and my 4 year old grandson) also inherited the car gene so it will always be in the family...

Wow! Now up to seven original owners identified. I need to start keeping a log!
@SKL1 , @Dcheek and @Anderssj : FYI!
ClayPerrine
Mine was not "The right 914 came along" but "The right woman came along" story.

In 1985, I bought a 1979 Porsche 924. And I decided to go Auto crossing. The 914 had been a bit abused, and had some issues. But I wanted to go anyway.

On November 17th, 1985 (It was a Sunday), I got up early to go to the SCCA Autocross at Fair Park in Dallas. I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but they were both too hung over to get out of bed. So I went alone.

When I got there, I saw this little orange car that I knew nothing about. Turns out it was a 914, and it was driven by a gorgeous woman. And man could she drive! I kept bugging her during the event, and at the end I asked her out.

On November 19, 1988, I married her. @Betty wub.gif

We have been happily married for 33 years now. I sold the 924 years ago. We still have her 914, and two others.

So that is how I got lucky and found 914s, and the love of my life.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif wub.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 02:00 PM) *

In 1985, I bought a 1979 Porsche 924. And I decided to go Auto crossing. The 914 had been a bit abused, and had some issues. But I wanted to go anyway.

On November 17th, 1985 (It was a Sunday), I got up early to go to the SCCA Autocross at Fair Park in Dallas. I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but they were both too hung over to get out of bed. So I went alone.

When I got there, I saw this little orange car that I knew nothing about. Turns out it was a 914, and it was driven by a gorgeous woman. And man could she drive! I kept bugging her during the event, and at the end I asked her out.

We have been happily married for 33 years now. I sold the 924 years ago. We still have her 914, and two others.

Now THAT'S a love story! Whereas my wife is still learning to love mine and she married me 1 1/2 years ago knowing that I was deep into my project. May you have many more years with your loves!
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 04:00 PM) *

Great story!! Bound to be a classic, for sure. first.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 03:00 PM) *

can't top that story.

i love texas, i went there repeatedly to escape chicago.
went to houston, as my base and went up to dallas/fort worth twice.
89-90.
its a great place.

i still keep in contact with the girl who took me there.
barnfind9141972
Mine started as well with a woman. I started working at a Porsche dealership at 18 and the first 914 I drove was an early 4 cylinder that I absolutely adored. Being a huge Porsche and air cooled fanatic I worked through the ranks to a sales person and then we needed reinforcements at our other dealership so I went to work there for Audi. Wasn’t the same but the love of my life walked in one day and the rest is history. A few months in she let me know of an Oregon property she had that her mother lived in and a 1972 914 that was stored there. Originally bought new by her uncle in 1972 and driven until the late 90’s and parked in Oregon in 2000. This year during COVID the property was sold and the 914 was trailered back to California. Always titled in California, always in the family, and now my wife has given me the 914 as a wedding gift and currently restoring now. The least amount of rust I’ve seen, and the best part is she’s letting me do it how I want while keeping it semi original enjoys all the work to getting it perfect and ready for us to enjoy. 2258 going in soon and fresh paint. My 914 also came with a better gift which was my wife smilie_pokal.gif
Steve
In the late 70’s i had a 71 1.7 that we upgraded to a 2.4 four. It got totaled in a rear end collision and the 2.4 motor was not reliable, so I sold it. Then back to college in the mid 80’s and after reading Marty’s (MSDS) articles in VW Porsche magazine i decided I had to have a six. After I graduated in 1986 my room mate heard me talk about how awesome 914’s were. He put a down pay on one and then changed his mind and wanted a TR4 instead. He couldn’t get his down payment back, so I took a look at it and ended up buying it.
It was a 75 stock 2.0. I immediately started collecting six parts and a year later it was 2.7 six conversion using a MSDS cross bar motor mount, headers and muffler. I met my future wife cruising the avenue in this car in 1989. We now have 3 grown up kids and I still have the 914. Check my blog for more information and pictures.
pfreiburger
QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Feb 2 2021, 07:12 AM) *

I found mine quite by accident. We live about 15 miles south west of Des Moines and on my drive home there was a neighbor down the road that had a Quonset hut with the doors always closed. Always wondered what might be stored in there. One day driving by I saw that the doors were open and noticed tail lights and thought, hey that’s a Porsche. Pulled back around to talk to the farmers wife and asked if I could look over the car and she says yeah. Really wasn’t all that interested in a 914 at the time but didn’t forget about it either. Move ahead two years later to when Covid hit. Was looking for a project to play with, talked with the farmer and ended up with a nice barn find, thankfully with very little rust. Story on the car was, it was bought new by a woman in 1974 in Des Moines and in 76 she sold it to the brother of the guy I bought it from.
It had some rust on the rear half of the floors and just a little bit around the hell hole which I had taken care of. It is a re-spray of the original color which was done about 20 years ago. So far I’ve gone through the engine fixing leaks, new flywheel, clutch, etc. basically if it was in need, I’ve replaced. I have the interior to put back this spring. With way more spent than intended, It now runs and drives well.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Nice work, beautiful car!
pfreiburger
It took me almost exactly a year to find the car I wanted. I had been thinking about getting a 914 for a number of years when suddenly and unexpectedly, I lost my wife in June of 2019. With the realization of just how short life can be, I got serious about finding a 914 late that year. After a year of looking I had resigned myself to a long road trip or having to have a car shipped across country, a scary proposition. I was not interested in a car that needed a restoration and everything I was finding nearby was pretty scruffy.

Then the last week of the year a 1973 (my 1st choice for year) came up for sale on eBay; super clean, unmolested and just about as rust free as a used car can get - AND it was in driving distance. I contacted the seller and he provided a massive number of pictures that showed everything on the car, especially the underside. We agreed on a price and on December 31st I drove down with my son to pick up the car. As the roads were clean & dry, I drove it home. The 100-mile return trip showed that although it needed a couple of small things, it is a great car. It even shifts nice. I exceeded my original budget by a bunch, but it was a good call.

When spring comes I plan on driving it through the summer and then next fall, being a 1.7, it will go into my shop for a power infusion.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@pfreiburger - welcome.png That's a great looking '73. What are you going to "infuse" it with? A nice Porsche 6 cylinder motor?
pfreiburger
Thanks! Yes, my plan is for a 911 2.7. I know this sounds crazy, but I have actually been collecting parts for the conversion - before I got the car. Looks like you have the much coveted genuine version, yes?
BillC
Both of my 914s were purchase through this site. But, the stories involved aren't nearly as exciting as those posted above.

My first 914 was a Saturn Yellow 1.7, purchased from Ohio in 2015. My wife and I decided to make an overnight trip to inspect, purchase and then drive home the "new" car. We drove out in her 2011 BMW 335Xi, since she was going to have to drive it back and wanted to be comfortable. She followed me home, thinking the antique car was the one likely to have problems. Little did she know. blink.gif We made it all the way back to Rockville, MD, and then her car died -- we had just gotten off the highway and when the light changed, I pulled away and she didn't. By the time I turned around and got back to her, she was pounding on the steering wheel in frustration. The factory warranty on her car had expired the previous month, but BMW was willing to send a tow truck out of good will, but it would be 4 hours before it arrived. Fortunately, after about a half-hour of blocking traffic, the car restarted. I had her drive directly to the dealer while I went home, got another car and met her at the dealer to get all of out stuff out of the bimmer. Turns out her electric water pump went bad and cost $2k to fix. headbang.gif

My second 914 is the Alaska Blue "DAPO Special" that you can read about here. Since I had it shipped to MD, there wasn't much drama involved, except for discovering the car had more issues than the seller let on.
gandalf_025
August 1972 I was 17 and told my parents I wanted to buy a new 750 Honda.
Parents were not impressed and said "why don't you go buy a nice car instead".
I already had 2 cars.. A 1968 Ford LTD and a 1966 MGB.. I didn't want another car..

A few months later I decided to press the point and decided to stop in at the local Porsche Dealership.
My dad had bought VW's from them for years, so I knew the owner of the Dealership.
I walked in around mid October and was looking around at new 911's and quickly decided I couldn't afford one.
At that moment a Salesman walked over and asked if he could help me.
I'm sure he knew I was WAY over my head but he asked anyway..
Trying to not look like an idiot kid and save what little dignity I had.. I said..
Yeah, I want to buy a new 914-6..
Since I had subscriptions to Road and Track and Car and Driver, I knew there were no new 914-6's being made then.
So the salesman tells me they weren't in production anymore and I say.. Oh, well...
that's what I wanted and quickly made my way to the door to escape.
Then he asked the question that changed everything...
He said.. We just took one back on trade the other day, 23,000 miles..
would you like to see it..??
I'd never seen one in person, so I said sure. As soon as I heard it, I was hooked..
Took 6 months of going back and forth of wanting to buy it and then not before deciding on passing on it.
Fast forward to the evening of April 24th 1973..
My girlfriend and I were driving through Lawrence Mass. and I decided to drive past the Dealership, out of curiosity.
I parked across the street and looked to see the parking space for the 6 was empty
and I was relieved because it was over now.
Then I heard it..
Coming down the street and it pulled back into it's parking space and 2 guys got out of it.
Salesman was passenger and some other guy driving.
They got out of the car and reached across the roof and shook hands.
That's when I realized I was watching the car being sold.
At that moment I looked into the showroom and saw the owner walking through.
I jumped out of my car and ran across the street, into the showroom and
Said Hi to the Owner and he recognized me.. Then I said..
Get that guy away from my car.. He looked out the window and said..
Are you sure..?? I said YES, I'll be back in the Morning with my dad to sign the papers..
Then I had to go home and tell my dad what I did.
The next morning, we went to the Dealership and bought it. April 25th 1973.

Still have it and the same girl.. 48 years later..

So it took me about 6 months.
Cairo94507
@pfreiburger - Yup. Although my car (sadly) had the original 6 motor replaced back in the late 70's/early 80's with a 3.0 and owner number 2 saw no reason to keep the original motor. ar15.gif I replaced that 3.0 with an '87 3.2.

I do have an original '71 914-6 engine case, 20 numbers off my original case number, in my attic. But I knew I wanted to drive my 6 and the stock 2.0 6 cylinder at 110 HP sounds great but just would not have the HP/torque to make me happy. So 3.2 with Motronic, 964 cams, Wong custom chip, Ben's SS heat exchangers and muffler and I am at about 240 HP considering it was 217 stock. At least that's what I have been told. beerchug.gif
pfreiburger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2021, 12:29 PM) *

@pfreiburger - Yup. Although my car (sadly) had the original 6 motor replaced back in the late 70's/early 80's with a 3.0 and owner number 2 saw no reason to keep the original motor. ar15.gif I replaced that 3.0 with an '87 3.2.

I do have an original '71 914-6 engine case, 20 numbers off my original case number, in my attic. But I knew I wanted to drive my 6 and the stock 2.0 6 cylinder at 110 HP sounds great but just would not have the HP/torque to make me happy. So 3.2 with Motronic, 964 cams, Wong custom chip, Ben's SS heat exchangers and muffler and I am at about 240 HP considering it was 217 stock. At least that's what I have been told. beerchug.gif

Nice! I bet 240 hp in a 914 works REALLY well.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 4 2021, 06:13 PM) *

In the late 70’s i had a 71 1.7 that we upgraded to a 2.4 four. It got totaled in a rear end collision and the 2.4 motor was not reliable, so I sold it. Then back to college in the mid 80’s and after reading Marty’s (MSDS) articles in VW Porsche magazine i decided I had to have a six. After I graduated in 1986 my room mate heard me talk about how awesome 914’s were. He put a down pay on one and then changed his mind and wanted a TR4 instead. He couldn’t get his down payment back, so I took a look at it and ended up buying it.
It was a 75 stock 2.0. I immediately started collecting six parts and a year later it was 2.7 six conversion using a MSDS cross bar motor mount, headers and muffler. I met my future wife cruising the avenue in this car in 1989. We now have 3 grown up kids and I still have the 914. Check my blog for more information and pictures.

Steve thank you for being one of my earliest clients ! I enjoyed all those drives over to the Argus Publishing offices in WLA and hanging out with Jay Amestoy, Greg Brown, Les Bidrawn (photography).When I first met Greg at VW&Porsche (became European Car) , the photographer was Steve Reyes; drag strip photographer extraordinaire (check out his amazing work online). They usually insisted on a ride-along in the 914...and Veteran Ave got heated up a bit biggrin.gif

Rufus
My story isn’t awesome like those involving girlfriends / future wives, etc. But it might compete for honors in the “why the heck did it take so long?!?” category.

In the mid-late ‘80’s while driving at night on an urban interstate, a 914 passed me at a pretty high speed, then braked hard to take the upcoming hairpin exit. That planted the idea of a hotrod 914/6. (Had to be real -6.)

In early 2004 I (foolishly ... you’ll see) bought a 914/6 rolling chassis sight unseen from an individual I trusted after just recently buying a ‘67 911S from him. Then life got in the way big time while the rolling chassis waited at Rothsport.

When things finally resolved in 2018, I bought ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=331888

The idea was to combine much of its running gear, suspension, etc. with the 914/6 rolling chassis. I flew to the west coast and drove it to Rothsport. Because of the distance involved (San Francisco to Oregon) and driving an unfamiliar car, I chose to just cruise along calmly and not tempt fate.

Another major setback appeared early last year after stripping the rolling chassis ... severely rusted ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=349520

At age 70 I decided not to pursue a lengthy project, and to buy this 914/6 instead when it appeared last summer ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=346147

So the 914/6 rolling chassis was sold in November, and the ‘74 -6 conversion rolling chassis is for sale ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=347745

After waiting 30+ years, how do I like driving a 1970 914/6 (w/ 2.7l RS spec engine)? By now I’ve owned “two and a half” 914/6’s for a total of almost 20 years. (To be fair, I have enjoyed a number of fun cars / projects during my “wait” ... a 944T, a 911 Turbo, rebuilding / restoring two 1960’s Corvettes, building an ERA Cobra, etc, etc.)

But the answer is ... I.still.don’t.know. After spending 4-5 months at Rothsport for work I commissioned, the 1970 914/6 is in North Carolina. I’ve waited more than 2 months for the NC DMV to process my title and registration thanks to Covid sad.gif.

Still waiting :/ ...

Bob
SavingManuals
Great stories and pics...keep 'em coming!

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.