Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hesitation while Cruising, '74 2.0l D-Jet
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jun 14 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,051
Region Association: None

Had the 914 out a couple times this weekend and noticed some hesitation while at light throttle cruising, say at like 25-30mph in 3rd.
I just recently did a valve adjustment and checked timing per the manual, had to clean up the points a little bit as one side had a little bit of a 'tit' starting to grow.

Other than the hesitation it seems to be running well still, maybe a bit on the warmer side compared to what it used to be? (Also first time out this summer, ran it a few times this spring when it was nice and cool) But it has good power, and no audible changes in tone.

What should I be checking first? Timing looked like it was right on the mark with vac line off and at about 3-3.5k rpm so I don't *think* that's the issue.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
windforfun
post Jun 14 2021, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476

Check your throttle position sensor (TPS) for alignment & circuit board wear. BTDT.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 14 2021, 05:20 PM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Maybe it’s just me , but 25-30 in third is too slow. Try second at that speed.
+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Jun 14 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Orange Crush

Member No.: 23,112
Region Association: Southern California

I agree, Throttle Position Sensor was my hesitation and bucking problem. I cleaned it and it came back so I replaced it with used sensor and so far it is running much better. Long term plan is a new board from 914 Rubber
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jun 15 2021, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the tips, I will check on the TPS. That would be a nice easy fix for sure.

Isn't 3rd recommended in the manual for that speed? I know my VW is, and it's only got 4 gears. *edit for clarity* my 914 has 5 gears, my VW has 4 gears and cruises 25mph in 3rd gear just fine. Thus thinking out loud shouldn't the 914 also be able to do the same since it has a bigger motor AND more gears?

Cheers to all for the replies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll report back with results either way.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 15 2021, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jun 15 2021, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks for the tips, I will check on the TPS. That would be a nice easy fix for sure.

Isn't 3rd recommended in the manual for that speed? I know my VW is, and it's only got 4 gears.

Cheers to all for the replies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll report back with results either way.

If this is a 914, it has a 5 speed in it. There were no 4 speed 914s.

In case you have and aftermarket gear knob with no pattern, First is to the left and rear.

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 15 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Also, toss a couple drops of oil in the top of the distributor shaft, under the rotor. It lubes the weight pivots. There should be a small piece of filter-like material in there.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 15 2021, 11:21 AM
Post #8

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Jun 15 2021, 08:39 AM) *

Isn't 3rd recommended in the manual for that speed? I know my VW is, and it's only got 4 gears. *edit for clarity* my 914 has 5 gears, my VW has 4 gears and cruises 25mph in 3rd gear just fine. Thus thinking out loud shouldn't the 914 also be able to do the same since it has a bigger motor AND more gears?

It can do 25mph in 3rd gear, but if you're at ~2800rpm or below you should be downshifting or you're lugging the engine.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 15 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #9

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 15 2021, 10:21 AM) *

It can do 25mph in 3rd gear, but if you're at ~2800rpm or below you should be downshifting or you're lugging the engine.

That’s my point exactly. You’ll prolong engine life by making a habit of cruising at 3000 rpm or above.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 15 2021, 01:40 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 15 2021, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 15 2021, 10:21 AM) *

That’s my point exactly. You’ll prolong engine life by making a habit of cruising at 3000 rpm or above.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Some guys rotate their tach so 3K RPM is at TDC.

+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jun 15 2021, 03:43 PM
Post #11

Alright I'll bite, this is going a bit off topic of what I was originally asking but...

VW's owners manual page showing gears and speed ratings. (This is a T3 VW, with D-jet FI on a 1.6l)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manual...ype3/page31.jpg
3rd gear is perfectly suited for low speed cruising. (At this speed, while just cruising, the load is low. If I were to climb a hill or want to accelerate quickly? Duh. Downshift.)

Another page of the VW owners manual showing that stock 3rd gear is 1.26:1 (same as the stock 901 box I believe?) and final drive is 4.125 vs the 901 at 4.43
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manual...ype3/page62.jpg

Thus if VW says it's safe to cruise at 25 in 3rd and the 914 will be at about 200rpm higher AND has .4 extra liters of UMPH behind it then I'm calling it good.

Driving the 914 in 3rd gear at 25 is not lugging anything. Again, there is hardly any load on the motor at that speed.
Now am I gonna do 20mph up a 40% grade in 3rd gear? Heck no.
Will I cruise around town in 3rd gear so I can hear more than just the motor screaming behind me? Heck yes.

Another data point for those still interested, my VW (has a 1.7l T4 in it) will barely reach 250°F-275°F head temps cruising around town in 3rd gear. Now on the highway is a different story, then the motor has much more load and needs the fan speed up to keep up with the extra heat.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Anyways, I digress. Back to the issue of hesitation at low load cruising (Regardless of speed, it did it at 50mph in 4th as well. It just wasn't as noticeable.)
I will check out the TPS and clean or replace as needed, then re-install and adjust per the manual and see how that does.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jun 15 2021, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,610

Just for reference

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 15 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 15 2021, 03:42 PM) *

Just for reference

Doesn't this depend on how many beers you've had?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 15 2021, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

The general rule-of-thumb I've been told (Chris Foley) is always keep it above 3000 under load.

That follows my anechdotal observations of the effects on CHT. Any time it's a hot day and I'm "lugging it" below 3000 the CHTs get into the high 300s. I really don't like that:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry377466
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jun 15 2021, 05:54 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,686

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 15 2021, 04:06 PM) *

The general rule-of-thumb I've been told (Chris Foley) is always keep it above 3000 under load.

That follows my anechdotal observations of the effects on CHT. Any time it's a hot day and I'm "lugging it" below 3000 the CHTs get into the high 300s. I really don't like that:

@GregAmy
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) paying forward, someone shared the ontology of the phrase “rule of thumb” with me about six months ago, and it changed when I use it.

“A modern folk etymology holds that the phrase is derived from the maximum width of a stick allowed for wife-beating under English law, but no such law ever existed”

BTW. I had the same hesitation issue on our 73 2.0 with new TPS. Needed to pull the distributor and service/rebuild.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 15 2021, 06:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Good info, thanks. Generally speaking, I use a smaller stick but if we're actually allowed a larger one then all the better.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 15 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #17

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 15 2021, 08:45 AM) *

Also, toss a couple drops of oil in the top of the distributor shaft, under the rotor. It lubes the weight pivots. There should be a small piece of filter-like material in there.

This a must do as the weights get gummed up and stick without those drops of oil
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jun 16 2021, 09:30 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 15 2021, 04:06 PM) *

Absolutely under load is no question! No disagreement there at all, I was only talking low load scenarios, as that's when my little hesitation issue is popping up.

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 15 2021, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 15 2021, 08:45 AM) *

This a must do as the weights get gummed up and stick without those drops of oil

I am pretty sure I did a bit of oil there, but it probably wouldn't hurt to pull it out and clean the whole distributor. It probably needs a new rotor and cap anyways. What's the best source for a good quality cap and rotor these days? I'm not sure I would trust some cheap replacement anymore...

I also pulled out the TPS last night, and it was a little dirty but none of the traces are worn. I cleaned it up and I'll put it back in and adjust it once I get my multimeter back.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Jun 16 2021, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

Following as I'm troubleshooting a what sounds like a similar bucking problem at part throttle. I've replaced the TPS board with a new one from 914 Rubber. I've also installed new coil, cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, vacuum lines, and had the injectors rebuilt.
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jun 17 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Okay got the TPS back on the TB but the adjustment procedure doesn't seem to have worked quite right. (Photo attached)

In the book the TPS only has 4 connections, mine has 5. At first I used the same terminal numbers to do the adjustment but there is never continuity between pin 14 and 17 anywhere in the adjustment range.

Popped the cover off the TPS and also looked at the plug in the engine bay and maybe I'm supposed to use pins 17 and 12? Did the procedure with the multimeter on those pins but now the arm never hits the stop, and the middle "finger" never makes it back to the pin 17 pad on the circuit board.

Is there a different procedure for the 2.0 D-Jet? Did I totally mis-understand the directions in the manual?

(Gist of the procedure in the book is when pins 14 and 17 have continuity, turn the TPS back anti-clockwise to ticks and tighten it down.)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:55 PM