Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back on all 4's after about 10 years
stateofidleness
post Jun 4 2022, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,065
Region Association: None

Dad bought me this in college about 10 years ago. Drove it only a couple times before tearing out interior and removing engine... life caught up, and several moves later, it's been parked here for a LONG time.

Finally have the time and means to get it professionally done (floor pans and some other rust areas). Got new tires on it today to get it back to "roller" status! Plan to get it to restoration shop soon. Feels like progress at least...

Guy at Discount Tire dated the tires they took off back to 1996! Just wanted to post small progress. Feels motivating!

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Montreal914
post Jun 4 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Cool dad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I can’t for my car to be back on its wheels too, missing it everyday.

Although difficult to keep up, a little every day is the motto, just wish I could apply it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Good luck! The reward will be amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jun 4 2022, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,589

Congratulations on your project start. However, a little advice. Relying on "professionals" to get the job done is often a gamble and offers no reward in the self-satisfaction arena. Unless someone is physically handicapped or mentally challenged, working on 914s is not all that difficult, especially given the resources on-line. I do agree with you about getting someone to do the body work (most of us can't either or lack the facilities) but the majority of the work to get a 914 back on the road is within an owner's ability, if he/she tries. Good luck and love the color of your car.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Jun 4 2022, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,065
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jun 4 2022, 05:01 PM) *

Congratulations on your project start. However, a little advice. Relying on "professionals" to get the job done is often a gamble and offers no reward in the self-satisfaction arena. Unless someone is physically handicapped or mentally challenged, working on 914s is not all that difficult, especially given the resources on-line. I do agree with you about getting someone to do the body work (most of us can't either or lack the facilities) but the majority of the work to get a 914 back on the road is within an owner's ability, if he/she tries. Good luck and love the color of your car.

Ansbacher

Agreed! I ultimately conceded that rust repair "stuff" should be left to a pro in this case as I wanted that reassurance for safety. Everything else, I plan to DIY!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 4 2022, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Show us some pics of the rust areas. If it is run of the mill stuff you don't need to be too picky. Otherwise you might need someone who is versed in old Porsche body repair. Nice color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jun 4 2022, 08:36 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes, more photos!

996 cab?
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 5 2022, 05:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Congratulations, this will be fun to watch. Mine had a 29 year nap. Best, Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:40 PM