Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front hood latch cable
partwerks
post Jul 17 2022, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

I have the set screw tightened about as tight as I can get it, and then curl the cable around to try and keep it from slipping, but has slipped again.
Last time I reached up through the opening, and just took out the 3 allen head screws that hold the latch, to get back in there.

Any other ideas to keep it from slipping?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
mepstein
post Jul 17 2022, 03:14 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It should only require a light tug to release. Lube up the cable and all the pivots on the latch.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 17 2022, 03:21 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I just went through this. Turns out I had worn contact areas on the two components that need to slide across each other when you try and release the latch. This was causing me to have to pull HARD to get the latch to release.
Fortunately, I had another latch handy. I removed the sticky latch and bench tested them side by side. Sure enough, there was a big difference in force needed to get them to release. Different latch installed and a gentle pull opens the latch.
Maybe all yours needs is a good cleaning and re-lube.
In my case, I tried that but it wasn't much better. I know I was lucky to have a spare latch but there you go. Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 20 2022, 05:00 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 17 2022, 03:21 PM) *

I just went through this. Turns out I had worn contact areas on the two components that need to slide across each other when you try and release the latch. This was causing me to have to pull HARD to get the latch to release.
Fortunately, I had another latch handy. I removed the sticky latch and bench tested them side by side. Sure enough, there was a big difference in force needed to get them to release. Different latch installed and a gentle pull opens the latch.
In my case, I tried that but it wasn't much better. I know I was lucky to have a spare latch but there you go. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, any chance you could take a photo of the contact areas? I am having the same issue with too much pull force to open the front trunk.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 20 2022, 06:21 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

IS the cable sheath routed correctly?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 20 2022, 08:55 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 20 2022, 04:00 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 17 2022, 03:21 PM) *

Thanks for the info, any chance you could take a photo of the contact areas? I am having the same issue with too much pull force to open the front trunk.

@930cabman - Sorry for the delayed reply. I just happened to check in on this. Tag me next time so I get notified and I'll get right back with a reply. Anyway...

Here's the latch in the closed position, with the spring in place.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 20 2022, 08:58 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Here it is with the spring removed. When the cable is pulled, that lower catch rotates and the surfaces indicated by the arrow have to slide against one another. You can see the contact surfaces between the parts really aren't very long.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 20 2022, 09:01 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

My latch was fouled on those surfaces to the point that when I was setting up these pics, even with out the spring, it hung up a bit in the position you see here. I suppose you could try and get in there with a small file and deburr them...?

Anyway, there's today's installment of "When 914 Hood Latches Fail". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 20 2022, 05:45 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Once again this group of 914 fanatics' rocks

We sometimes forget this stuff is a half century old!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:10 AM