Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> More 6 conversion questions, ???
Markeydoo
post Aug 13 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #1

???

Group: Members
Member No.: 557
Region Association: None

OK I am confused (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
What are people doing to the stock relay board to make it work with the 6 conversions. I have a 914-6 engine wire harness and a 75 relay board. Is ther any modifications that I need to do? if so what?? I have goten some feed back but I am still confused to what I need to do.
Thanks
Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
Root_Werks
post Aug 13 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mark, do a title only search for "Root" or even "Root Werks", look for a 6 conversion thread with a flared orange car. I remove the relay boards now a days, but kept the relay board on that car. I noted some terminal swaping for the charging ect. that need to be done.

You should keep and use your 914-4 engine harnes. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 13 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Mark, I think Dan is referrring to his conversion thread which is now in the "classic " threads section. Page 4 of the thread talks about wiring the regulator.

It is confusing to me Dan. I am finishing a conversion now and plan to use the board (unless you talk me out of it). Can you explain the "terminal reversal" on the regulator one more time please.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Aug 13 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,061

Automobile Atlanta has a booklet that covers 4 to 6 conversion. Very inexpensive . I sure this issue is covered
+Quote Post
goose2
post Aug 13 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Dan's the Man on six wiring as far as I'm concerned. My engine room is SOOO tidy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Aug 14 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #6

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

QUOTE (Al Meredith @ Aug 13 2005, 05:03 PM)
Automobile Atlanta has a booklet that covers 4 to 6 conversion. Very inexpensive . I sure this issue is covered

I, like so many other lemmings, bought the book. Though there are some helpful sections this is not covered well at all. Your best bet is to review the posts here and then ask lots and lots of questions.

Mike D.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Aug 14 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #7

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

Mark, you can HAVE my relay board from my orig six if you want.
I will not be using it on my 3.2 to 3.6 upgrade.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Aug 14 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #8

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (Sparky @ Aug 14 2005, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (Al Meredith @ Aug 13 2005, 05:03 PM)

I, like so many other lemmings, bought the book. Though there are some helpful sections this is not covered well at all. Your best bet is to review the posts here and then ask lots and lots of questions.

Mike D.

I am not a "lemming" but bought the booklet well before this forum exsisted. IIRC it had the pinout conversion neatly detailed in two CLEAR diagrams. Does everything mentioned about AA have to start a flame war? Grow up!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 14 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Alot of the decision making has to do with the engine you are going to install. A carb'd engine is much easier, especially if you've got a internally regulated alternator, although you can delete the relay board if you have a externally regulated alternator and mount the regulator elsewhere.

Another issue to consider is the fuel pump relay. If you've moved the fuel pump and aren't using the original fuel pump circuit, then you don't have to deal with this.

There is a factory connector that will plug right into the existing harness, but the connector and pins alone costs $45!

I do custom harnesses for six conversions, and sell DIY kits. I use wiring with color coding the same or as close as possible to factory. I also use black PVC jacketing and heat shrink for a real OEM appearance (I HATE black electrical tape wiring harnesses (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon8.gif) ). PM me if you want more info on what I have to offer.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 14 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (9146986 @ Aug 14 2005, 08:32 AM)
Alot of the decision making has to do with the engine you are going to install. A carb'd engine is much easier, especially if you've got a internally regulated alternator, although you can delete the relay board if you have a externally regulated alternator and mount the regulator elsewhere.

Another issue to consider is the fuel pump relay. If you've moved the fuel pump and aren't using the original fuel pump circuit, then you don't have to deal with this.

There is a factory connector that will plug right into the existing harness, but the connector and pins alone costs $45!

I do custom harnesses for six conversions, and sell DIY kits. I use wiring with color coding the same or as close as possible to factory. I also use black PVC jacketing and heat shrink for a real OEM appearance (I HATE black electrical tape wiring harnesses (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon8.gif) ). PM me if you want more info on what I have to offer.

This is about as close as you can get to someone drawing
out a custom wiring diagram for you.....jump on it.

I went thru the conversion in my pre-internet days.
The electrical part was my biggest challenge....I still have the AA booklet somewhere (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Markeydoo
post Aug 14 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #11

???

Member No.: 557

Thanks All
The engine, alt, and enging wire harness are all out of a 914-6. The body wire harness are original 914-4 75'
This should be fun!!!
Marv I'll take you up on your offer Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:21 PM