Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Interesting trunk unlocking mechanism on this 1.8
Sm914650
post Jul 21 2023, 07:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,573
Region Association: Northern California

Went and looked at this 74 on CL yesterday in hopes of it being a 2.0 and not knowing what they have. Ended up being a 1.8. Not sure what the situation w the apprearance package is cause they said the fuchs weren’t on the car when they got it, however the center console oil temp is functioning. Replacement windshield. One of the lowest rust cars I’ve seen.
Funny thing was, since it has the added Heckblende panel installed, asked them how the trunk is opened:
Two person job!
Key stays in ignition, theres a switch under the steering wheel to the right of the fuse box. One person has to press that switch while the other opens the trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thought that was pretty funny. Sad to see such a rust free car get that treatment and get jimmy rigged out like that.

Made me curious how the rest of ya’s with the Heckblendes are opening your trunks!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Cairo94507
post Jul 21 2023, 07:33 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hopefully the new owner will remove that panel and return it to a stock appearance. Typically the trunk is accessed with an electric solenoid when that panel is added. Thanks for sharing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jul 21 2023, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am sort of dealing with, ignoring this right now. Car came with one but electric option never completed. Has the secondary option of a wire out the trunk bottom. I have noticed that the trunk does not spring up with this option installed. Probably why it takes two people to open when it is installed and working. I have not looked into why yet. Call it a theft deterrent.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 21 2023, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

My first test I only used the part in the picture. I turned on the power source and this part shot over my head and landed two feet behind me. The spring should lift the trunk lid on its own. That was the design with the button.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jul 21 2023, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Down and dirty, but simple, with only a short cable pull with little to no risk of failure. I'm gonna remove that electrical tape after I paint the trunk and shrink wrap it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 21 2023, 10:33 AM
Post #6

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

@Sm914650

Thanks for saving me the trouble of going to look at the car! I saw it on CL the other day and also thought it might be a 2.0. Was all geared up to go take a look and see. I also saw the bowing in the rear reflector and was wondering what was going on there. I have a rear reflector on my 914 that was put on by a previous owner and it has a drilled hole in it that you put a small diameter rod through to manually push open the latch. I use an old screwdriver with the tip removed. I know it's sacrilege to have done this to a 914, but having a rear reflector increases visibility and I'm not opposed to any modifications that increase safety....
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 21 2023, 11:27 AM
Post #7

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

I have seen the stock Chrome lock push opener used when a hole was drilled in the rear 911 plastic lens. It did not look bad at all. It just needs to be in the right spot.

No need for secret agent man inside button.

Bob B
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 21 2023, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 21 2023, 09:34 AM) *

Down and dirty, but simple, with only a short cable pull with little to no risk of failure. I'm gonna remove that electrical tape after I paint the trunk and shrink wrap it.

Attached Image

+1, Down and dirty
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jul 21 2023, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I have the solenoid but it isn't strong enough to unlatch unless you are pushing down. I have grown fond of my little pigtail down below.
+Quote Post
Sm914650
post Jul 21 2023, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 22,573

@fiacra no worries, it is a nice car. Definitely not the potential flip we both thought it couldve been (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) the lady that owns it bought it in ‘95 and said she’s only put 5k miles on it. Just not looking for a 1.8 personally and they are asking a bit much. Interior is spotless too and has the rear defroster option. Car definitely need some TLC though
@burton73 this seems like it is the way to go! Haha
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 12:44 PM