Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> /6 conversion, would you do it again?
930cabman
post Feb 25 2024, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Somewhat getting my a** kicked trying to get a conversion completed. We have a decent chassis and a fresh 2.7 that has made the rounds from Ollies and Eksten's. Still running a small business and often prioritize kids/grandkids when it comes to free time. It is coming up on two years and currently attempting to work through oil lines, exhaust, do I need an external cooler or not??

All the guys who have done them, would you do it again?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ConeDodger
post Feb 25 2024, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Absolutely!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Feb 25 2024, 06:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would definitely do it again, if I have a good running 6 to put in.

Weld the mount
Cut holes for tank
Install engine
Slight wiring
Enjoy!

I was planning to put a front cooler in my 2.4 due to it getting hot.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 25 2024, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes, mine took 8 years but all worth it. Best, MarkAttached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
mate914
post Feb 25 2024, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 07:44 AM) *

Somewhat getting my a** kicked trying to get a conversion completed. We have a decent chassis and a fresh 2.7 that has made the rounds from Ollies and Eksten's. Still running a small business and often prioritize kids/grandkids when it comes to free time. It is coming up on two years and currently attempting to work through oil lines, exhaust, do I need an external cooler or not??

All the guys who have done them, would you do it again?

You are far north. If the engine is bone stock and not taken to the Glenn. I would drive it. You might be able to get away with a Setrab and fan under rear trunk.
The 9146 project I'm on has been 4 years plus, and almost finished.
Spending time with your kids and grand kids is more important than any 914....
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Feb 25 2024, 07:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,574

Hi John,

Having done 3 conversions and worked on a few org 6's in the past. I'd have to say yes I'd do it again. I may not be working as fast now a days but I'd do another 6 conv. I may do one with my son here in a few years. Just need to find the right chassis for it as I have several 6 parts on hand.

With that said, what issues are you having with on the oil system?
A 2.7 should have a front oil cooler. The exhaust is pretty straight forward.

I'm actually working on getting my brothers 3.0 conv front oil cooler setup mocked up and installed here sometime this spring.

LMK if I can help.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 25 2024, 08:49 AM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Absolutely! Even though my car is an original 6, it really doesn't matter once that engine is out. We are just getting started on a swap from the 3.2 with Motronic injection to a '95 3.6 out of a 993. The driving experience with the 3.2 was crazy; I can't wait to drive it with the 3.6.

Regardless of your 6 engine size, I would still add an external oil cooler/thermostat. I have had had a few variations of coolers over the decades on 3 different original 6 cars:

1. 2 VW 411 coolers, 1 behind each foglight grill with a thermostat in the engine compartment on the firewall. We had flexible SS line run uo the driver side long, behind the rocker to connect it all up and we vented it out the inner wheel well. Worked quite well, but I lost my foglight. As you can see, it was very crude, it was 1984, and these cars were really not worth a lot.

Attached Image

2. On my current 6, it came to me with 1/2" copper pipe plumbed and soldered from the engine all the way to the front, behind the passenger side rocker and across the nose and ball again- think large trombone style and that worked well- or so I was told by the former owner.

Attached Image

3. My current, and favorite set-up, is using a set of GT hard lines up the driver side long that terminate just inside the driver footwell. Then I have a rubber hose with AN fittings that go from there to inside the frunk and connect to a Setrab oil cooler mounted across the nose. Currently, the thermostat is mounted in the trunk but that is being relocated to where I believe it should be located, on the engine firewall to the right of the motor mount. That is what I had with the 3.2 and it worked fine. I did have the GT opening in my bumper as well as valance. But I did not cut the nose open- we just pulled the 5 rubber plugs out of the nose panel rot allow air to flow.

Attached Image

4. We are now going to replace that Setrab cooler with a larger cooler, about 1" taller and 3" wider and a slosh thicker. We will add 3 4" fans right on the backside of the cooler to pull air through the cooler and we will then have an aluminum shroud that covers and seals all of that, venting it out the louvered floor of the trunk.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Feb 25 2024, 01:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

Absolutely! My 2.7 with Weber carbs and SC cam grind, plus Clewett crank fire, transformed the car. I recommend a front oil cooler for total peace of mind.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 25 2024, 01:13 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Hold tight - might be a nice real /6 with a 2.7L coming up for sale soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 25 2024, 01:24 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Front cooler
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 25 2024, 02:36 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Heck yes I would do it over 100 times. I run a front cooler even with my 2.4 just because
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 25 2024, 03:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 25 2024, 02:13 PM) *

Hold tight - might be a nice real /6 with a 2.7L coming up for sale soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Needs a few odds and ends
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 25 2024, 04:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,770

When the car is painted and you start bolting on shiny new parts, thats when the fun starts and you can see the progress. The first drive is just the frosting.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 25 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Definitely worth it. I bought my 75 914 back in 86 with immediate plans to convert it to a six. I bought a used 1974 2.7 with a top end overhaul. Bought new PMO webers back then $1k with everything. Headers, motor mount and muffler from MSDS. I tried to run it without an external oil cooler in California but it ran too hot, so I bought a setrab cooler from PMS and the shroud from Getty. Very simple conversion. Back date the flywheel to a 2.0 six flywheel and MB911 and others sell aftermarket tin, oil tanks and mounts. I did it in my garage with a Haynes manual, floor jack and jack stands. In 2000 I switched to a stock 3.2 and now I’m upgrading to a 3.6. Lots of pro’s and con’s, but the 2.7 with webers works the best with a stock geared trans for a street and occasional auto cross car.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 25 2024, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Sounds near unanimous, thank you all and I guess keep the course is the answer. Being in the Northeast I will run her for a while without an external(front) oil cooler. I have seen the oil thermostats are labeled as 180 degrees. Don't we want closer to 210 - 220 oil temps?

Currently fitting the Goodridge ends to the SST flex hose is kicking my a**. I ordered the tool from Pegasus earlier to assist with this operation.

Is there a magic crows foot to reach the -16 fitting on the bottom of the oil tank in the fenderwell?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 25 2024, 07:10 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 07:26 PM) *

Sounds near unanimous, thank you all and I guess keep the course is the answer. Being in the Northeast I will run her for a while without an external(front) oil cooler. I have seen the oil thermostats are labeled as 180 degrees. Don't we want closer to 210 - 220 oil temps?

Currently fitting the Goodridge ends to the SST flex hose is kicking my a**. I ordered the tool from Pegasus earlier to assist with this operation.

Is there a magic crows foot to reach the -16 fitting on the bottom of the oil tank in the fenderwell?

I find it’s better to attach the hose to the bottom of the tank and then slide it into place. It sort of rolls in.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 25 2024, 07:18 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 08:26 PM) *

Don't we want closer to 210 - 220 oil temps?

Yes ^ 10

I wish this internet mythology of 180 degree oil would go away but I accept that it will continue forever.

There’s hardly a modern car running oil at 180F under load, and both the oil, and engines last much longer than they ever have. This isn’t a coincidence.

Likewise don’t let people fool you that air cooled is different. Air cooled motorcycles and cars have always run hotter oil than water pumpers. Oil doesn’t magically disintegrate at 250F as some would have you believe.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Feb 25 2024, 07:46 PM
Post #18

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 07:26 PM) *

Running the fan with right sized pulleys and heat block off plates on engine both help with cooling. 2.7's do run on the hotter size. I have a 2.7 with mod S cams and j&E pistons getting ready for the street. We are running the Taormina racing oil block off with oil cooler up front. The oil line fitting kit from Pegasus helps a lot.
Here to help.
Matt
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 25 2024, 08:03 PM
Post #19

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 25 2024, 04:57 AM) *

Yes, mine took 8 years but all worth it. Best, MarkAttached Image

That photo says it all. A magnet for the ladies.
Also, I sometimes start to chuckle when I drive because it is so fun. Such a great car. I can also say that my rustoration of a four cylinder has taken longer.
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 25 2024, 08:08 PM
Post #20

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

My cooler is beside the transmission. I want the frunk space. Uses a pair of fans. Since I like to cover distances I also added taller fourth and fifth gears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:40 AM