Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> About racing a 914 with a swap..., What class? Does the PCA care?
Matt Monson
post Aug 29 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,562
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

As some of you know, I am going back and forth on putting in a 2.4l six or swapping a Subaru Ej25. I want to know what impact the Subaru engine will have on racing the car. I am specifically wondering how the PCA (and RMR since I am in Colorado) treats 914's with non-Porsche engine swaps in them. I want to be able to run my car at club events. I know there won't be a problem in SCCA racing. But I don't know about the "official" Porsche clubs...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 29 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The "national" PCA line is Porsche/Porsche. Your region MAY vary, but probably not in track events, and certainly not in points toward any sort of trophy. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 29 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i believe the policy is that you will not be allowed to race in pca club races unless your car has a porsche motor. if you put a -6 in your car, you will be put in a racing class designated for the improvements you made to your car. your improvements could very well put you in a class of very serious ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) racers and you may not be competitive, if that makes any difference to you. stock 2.0L 914's race in class J if i remember correctly. i have a car (but i don't race (yet)) that is a 2.0 w/webers and 911 suspension that is class I. you could probably get onto the pca website and find racing rules w/classes and modifications spelled out.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 29 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #4

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

In most cases you will be in exhibition "X" class. Depending on the region they will allow you to compete...some don't allow them at all.

Converting to another Porsche engine is cool....juts njot chebbie, scoobies or other non Porsche engines....after all...it IS the Porsche Club.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 29 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #5

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

In Zone 7 GGR (San Jose ca area) you may only run Porsche Chassis, motor and trans to compete in our TT series. Anyone can AX with most any type of car, in fun category. No awards or trophies at the end of the season.

Basically it must be a Porsche in all respects mechanically to be allowed to run in Timetrials. I have only seen one exception to this when someone years ago wanted to TT their POOPER and was allowed a one time only exemption.

I believe this is the case in the Regions (zones) that have TT events.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 29 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

Matt,

yep all of the above is true.
I race in PCA club racing, RMVR vintage racing, and RMR drivers ed.

for colorado you will not be allowed to run in any of those clubs with a subaru engine.

You will be allowed to do drivers ed events with a couple of the multi-car type clubs that have much looser "run whatya brung" rules. Their events are not racing and not wheel to wheel. I don't think they use ambulance support either if that factors in for you.

I'm not as familiar with the SCCA classes, but my guess is that you'll be screwed with the subaru engine there also. They will probably put you into a full modified class. Although I don't know that for sure.

RMR says motor and tranny from porsche in a porsche chassis.

regarding the -6, yes you will be in modified classes based upon displacement, but you would still be allowed to run in both RMR-DE and PCA club racing.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Aug 29 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Thanks folks. This is really good information. I don't really care about being competitive. I just want to come out and participate. So if my car was banned all together, that would really bite.

In light of the above, this decision just got really difficult. I have had a low mileage Ej25 with ECU and wiring harness just dropped into my lap as payment for doing a WRX swap on a guy's MY00 2.5RS. And I found out from Renegade that their Subaru conversion kit doesn't require any welding to install. This is important to me, because I would always want to be able to cleanly revert my car to original spec to maintain some sort of value.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 29 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

This is important to me, because I would always want to be able to cleanly revert my car to original spec to maintain some sort of value.

welding = no
cutting original sheetmetal = yes

the renegade kit requires the radiator up front, which also means cutting...sure it can be repaired later on, but not too easily...AFAIK, there are no "kits" to adapt the motor and radiator into the engine compartment.

+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Aug 29 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #9

I know their kit has you cutting sheet metal. I think I have figured out a solution around that. It will require cutting up a hood, but I have a yard full of spare hoods at my disposal...
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 29 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #10

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

So whats considered a Porsche motor in a 914? Specifically, if I build something out of a VW Bus case, its not really a "Porsche" motor".
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 29 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

I guess it would depend if they decided to check the # stamped onto the engine case...

not too likely they would care about a VW bus motor...
more likely they would care about a Type 1
much more likely they would care if they found a subaru or Chevy motor in there....

brant
+Quote Post
nocones
post Aug 29 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #12

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

That's why I'm going to make some special valve covers that say "Porsche" on them! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Aug 29 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #13

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well Fuch em then, I dont own a Porsche anymore, it's a Chevrolet 914 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Aug 29 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #14

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

What class would the guy with a 928 4.5L be in, then? GT-only or X?
+Quote Post
Kostamojen
post Aug 29 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,504

QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 29 2005, 07:07 AM)
As some of you know, I am going back and forth on putting in a 2.4l six or swapping a Subaru Ej25. I want to know what impact the Subaru engine will have on racing the car. I am specifically wondering how the PCA (and RMR since I am in Colorado) treats 914's with non-Porsche engine swaps in them. I want to be able to run my car at club events. I know there won't be a problem in SCCA racing. But I don't know about the "official" Porsche clubs...

Of course, the Subaru clubs would welcome you with open arms (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
flesburg
post Aug 29 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,162

If you want to "race" in AX or Club racing, PCA will allow all kinds of mods including swaps to "other" types of Porsche engines, but will not allow non Pcar's in Club Racing, nor non Pcar engines.

But if you are willing to do DE's and are willing to stay with them, (thats what we do), all of the Ohio regions, Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, will allow other makes of cars and we have probably done over 100 events in 18 years.

Some east coast regions with huge memberships restrict their events to Porsche only, but even they allow us to run with them (we have a 3.2 L in our 914).

We have done DE's with PCA/BMW/AudiQuatro among others clubs, and they all allow Cobra kit cars, Ferraris, Alfas, Corvettes, Vipers, Subaru's, Mazda, Chevy powered 914s and even Mustangs to run with us and I have never heard of anyone being refused because of the make of the engine. (and they all seem to accept anything that will pass a safety inspection).
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 29 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 29 2005, 07:14 PM)
If you want to "race" in AX or Club racing, PCA will allow all kinds of mods including swaps to "other" types of Porsche engines, but will not allow non Pcar's in Club Racing, nor non Pcar engines.

But if you are willing to do DE's and are willing to stay with them, (thats what we do), all of the Ohio regions, Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, will allow other makes of cars and we have probably done over 100 events in 18 years.

Some east coast regions with huge memberships restrict their events to Porsche only, but even they allow us to run with them (we have a 3.2 L in our 914).

We have done DE's with PCA/BMW/AudiQuatro among others clubs, and they all allow Cobra kit cars, Ferraris, Alfas, Corvettes, Vipers, Subaru's, Mazda, Chevy powered 914s and even Mustangs to run with us and I have never heard of anyone being refused because of the make of the engine. (and they all seem to accept anything that will pass a safety inspection).

Dale,

in colorado though that doesn't hold true.
maybe subaru club, or nissan club, or some other club would allow Matt to participate, but porsche club will not.

sorry but we have some drivers ed events that cap at 100+ cars and they don't need to let any other cars in.

so not true where Matt lives unfortunately.

brant
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 29 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #18

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Yeah Porsche club is pretty snootie about Porsche power plants. But think of the options there. Cayenne V8 or maybe even the new Cayenne V6.
+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Aug 30 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (brant @ Aug 29 2005, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 29 2005, 07:14 PM)

Dale,

in colorado though that doesn't hold true.
maybe subaru club, or nissan club, or some other club would allow Matt to participate, but porsche club will not.

sorry but we have some drivers ed events that cap at 100+ cars and they don't need to let any other cars in.

so not true where Matt lives unfortunately.

brant

Yep,
Ultimately, my decision may have been made for me. Since I work in the industry, and the company pays my PCA and RMR dues, it is important that I be able to be a part of these local events. There is just too much collateral advertising for the shop by having me be out there.

Ultimately, this would be a non-issue if I could afford another Porsche as a dedicated track car. Maybe in a year or two...
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 30 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Just pull the motor out the the boss's racecar when he's not looking (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) . I'm sure he wouldn't mind. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:42 AM