Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Need torque sequence and values, for a 1999 Buick Century V6
bondo
post Aug 29 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I'm visiting the inlaws here in Riverside, and found out my bro in-law's buick has water in the oil. He had taken it to a shop, and they said it was the intake manifold gasket. We got the gasket, but no FLAPS here seem to stock the haynes manual (it's not a multi-model one, it only covers the buick century from like 97-02). I'm about to tear into this engine, and I think I can figure everything out except for the tigtening sequence and torque values. Does anyone have access to those?

I REAAAALY hope it's *JUST* the intake manifold gasket, and I sure hope he hasn't spun a bearing yet. It's overheated a few times now, but he's stopped driving it.

Wish me luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
bondo
post Aug 29 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Oh, and to top it off, the car he has been using (2000 chevy blazer) has taken a nose dive as well. The transmission is slipping really bad at the 1-2 shift. Anyone have any advice about that? Do blazers have the infamous TV cable?
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 29 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Do they sell foreign cars in Riverslide?

I think the torque values are sellbothandbuyacivic.

+Quote Post
914GT
post Aug 29 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Usually the intake is tightened down gradually starting from the inside bolts, crisscrossing and working your way out to the ends evenly. About 30 ft-lbs is a typical torque. If you can't find a manual you'll probably be OK with the above procedure and values. You can put some Permatex silicone sealant around the water passages to help improve sealing in those areas. If enough coolant got into the oil to turn it into a thick sludge you should change the oil and filter and run it till it's hot, then drain it all out. Then do a second oil change and new filter and run it again. Keep checking it until no evidence of water in the oil.

One last tip - use Permatex thread sealant (not silicone or thread tape) on the manifold bolts for any that are exposed to oil inside the engine.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 29 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the advice.

The gaskets are not "typical intake manifold gaskets". It's quite possible that the torque sequence is not typical as well. The gaskets are made out of hard plastic, probably injection molded. They are not flat. The sealing areas have a silicone ridge molded in for sealing. I've never seen anything quite like it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:19 PM