Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> High Power Axels, Anyone tried these?
Red-Beard
post Sep 30 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #1

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288
Region Association: None

The bird offers the high HP Axels. Anyone tried these?

(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/Racing/914_Axel_Upgrade.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
bondo
post Sep 30 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Looks alot like 911 axles with adapters. That's what I have, but I haven't used them yet. Mine are second hand Renegade. They worked great for the previous owner (Otmar). He upgraded to 930 axles though when he got the 930 trans.
+Quote Post
skline
post Sep 30 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Not trying to put down PP but Renegade sells the same ones for about 200 less. I thought about going to them but decided I wanted my weak link to be the easily replaced axles and CV joints rather than my transmission. I may change them still somewhere down the road but for now, I dont want to destroy my gearbox. It's the one you built for Z last year James. Do you think it can handle the power?
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 30 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Scott, I think the transaxle is still the weak link.. I mean that the stock axles are rated higher than the r&p.

You can use stock axles on a 450hp motor, but you can't use 1st.

Are bigger CVs more reliable?

M
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 30 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 07:55 AM)
Not trying to put down PP but Renegade sells the same ones for about 200 less. I thought about going to them but decided I wanted my weak link to be the easily replaced axles and CV joints rather than my transmission. I may change them still somewhere down the road but for now, I dont want to destroy my gearbox. It's the one you built for Z last year James. Do you think it can handle the power?

I'm still not convinced by this argument.. I've heard of plenty of broken transmissions that were using stock axles. I think if the axles are in good shape you can break the trans first. I will be using the tires as the weak link (no LSD). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Sep 30 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Well, I dont use first gear at all. I just know the first trans was destroyed within the first 100 miles. This one seems to be holding up ok so far. I have not really pushed it too hard. I just want it to be reliable enough to get me to and from events and maybe an occasional cruise.
+Quote Post
skline
post Sep 30 2005, 09:06 AM
Post #7

Born to Drive

QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 30 2005, 08:02 AM)

I'm still not convinced by this argument.. I've heard of plenty of broken transmissions that were using stock axles. I think if the axles are in good shape you can break the trans first. I will be using the tires as the weak link (no LSD). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)

That is another problem I have, mine has the LSD and the Billet Intermediate plate so now do I need to worry about the R&P breaking?
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 30 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 30 2005, 08:02 AM)

That is another problem I have, mine has the LSD and the Billet Intermediate plate so now do I need to worry about the R&P breaking?

Hope for clutch slippage. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Is a chalon heavier or lighter than stock? Lighter would of course extend trans life.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 30 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

He's got a 9in... with 245s or somethin..

Your not going to get much clutch slipage, but tire slipage on the other hand...

Im running vw clutch, and I have YET to have the clutch slip running my 255's. (hooked up a couple times.. WOOO SCARRRRYYYYY, you know like, OH SHT IM GONA BREAK MY TRANI!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) )
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 30 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

Id guess with all the f/g the BODY would be lighter....but is moot with a v8 back there...

i think he has 245's on 8" fuchs....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:55 AM