Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to clean without removing Ring gear and diff, Lots of gunk in tranny
DNHunt
post Oct 31 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Ok, i'm looking for suggestions. The gear stack is out and there's a bunch of gunk in the rest of the transmission case. Whats the best way to get as much out as possible? I don't want to remove the ring gear and differential.

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
Aaron Cox
post Oct 31 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

why not? open up the side cover. pull em out. clean it out, put it back. (the smae way it was)

as long as you use the same total gasket thickness on the int plate, your pinion depth will be right.

pull the sidecover, after pulling the output flanges.... clean to your hearts content

oh... and if you put it in backwards, you havd 5 reverse gears (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 31 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Removing the differental will not hurt a thing. The adjustment is done with shims that are between the bearings and the differential carrier. Just pull the side cover and lift out the differental.

Plus, You need to replace the o-ring on the differental cover if you are this far into the tranny.

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 31 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Ok, Thats great to know. Taking this thing apart is really fun. The cleaning is not so great and buying parts is no fun at all. Both intermediate plate bearings fell apart. I'm going to try Gary Emory at Parts Obsolete and see if he has any reasonable used parts. He's got a lot of stuff in that big old barn.

I'm getting to like the smell of tranny fluid. It's right up there with MEK.

Dave
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 31 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #5

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (DNHunt @ Oct 31 2005, 08:40 AM)
Ok, Thats great to know. Taking this thing apart is really fun. The cleaning is not so great and buying parts is no fun at all. Both intermediate plate bearings fell apart. I'm going to try Gary Emory at Parts Obsolete and see if he has any reasonable used parts. He's got a lot of stuff in that big old barn.

I'm getting to like the smell of tranny fluid. It's right up there with MEK.

Dave

wait till you take apart one that has late 60's oil in it. i almost vomited......

look on ebay. Carquip (iirc) is selling new FAG bearings. or call matt and tom direct......
or hit up your favorite parts Haus.....

+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 31 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 07:30 AM)
why not? open up the side cover. pull em out. clean it out, put it back. (the smae way it was)

as long as you use the same total gasket thickness on the int plate, your pinion depth will be right.

pull the sidecover, after pulling the output flanges.... clean to your hearts content

oh... and if you put it in backwards, you havd 5 reverse gears (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Hey don't tell him the secrets to Transaxle repair.
Let him screw it up so we can all laugh at him.

Remember a few months ago when I did that very thing. Remember the book is wrong. ring gear teeth point towards the cover (914 configuration). teeth pointing in 911 configuration.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 31 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

this would be a great thread if it had lots of everyone's pictures of transmission tear downs and text.

k
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 31 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 31 2005, 08:23 AM)
this would be a great thread if it had lots of everyone's pictures of transmission tear downs and text.

k

Yea I can post a picture of what not to do. Don't leave you intermediate plate and other parts in a rubbermaid box on the bottom shelf. DURING A HURRICANE!
Did all ya'll know that magnesium and salt water DON'T mix. the plate is almost no more. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 11:39 AM