Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pulled the plug on my PCA membership, After 16 years
URY914
post Jul 16 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I received my renewal notice from the Porsche Club of America this week. It seems for the last 5 years I've debated if I should drop my membership. I don't need it to a/x with the club as they allow all who show up to run. I only got a $5.00 per a/x discount for each event and at $45.00/yr it didn't save me any money. It is more about getting value for my money and I don't see that I am.

Panaorama is pretty weak (have you ever seen the BMWCCA mag? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) And how much more will they ever print about a car that is over 30 years old. All the info you ever need is right here with this (mostly) normal bunch of guys. I like reading about the racing cars but now I can do that online. I have 16 years worth of Pano's to go through and cut out the 914 articles. That shouldn't take long.

Bye-Bye PCA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Paul

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
porschenut
post Jul 16 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,929

I agree. The only reason I keep paying is for the drivers ed events. But with the horsepower wars going on lately bringing any car with less than 300 HP is a waste.
BMW club guys seem way cooler, will probably join BMWCCA next year.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Jul 16 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I wondered if it was worth joining..... When I saw the fee's Iwondered what the benefit was? It's not expensive, but I wondered what you really get out of it.....
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 16 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #4

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(porschenut @ Jul 16 2006, 08:02 AM) *

I agree. The only reason I keep paying is for the drivers ed events. But with the horsepower wars going on lately bringing any car with less than 300 HP is a waste.
BMW club guys seem way cooler, will probably join BMWCCA next year.

I don't do Driver's Eds anymore or Club race so.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Jul 16 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #5

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

would they help you find a road car??
probably not.....
i think i see another 914 in your future......
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 16 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I managed not to be a member for 15+ years of running with them. When I moved to SD, they wont let you run if you are not a member. It has to do with insurance. You are not covered (I run at my own risk), but they have to protect everyone.

I havent kept up all my memberships for a few years (no money)

But:

ALMS
GrandAm
SCCA
PCA
NASA
POC

I maintain 3 out of the 6 right now. The teams that call for help in ALMS and GrandAm will typically pay for my renewal when needed.

It is expenive to play.

B
+Quote Post
STL914
post Jul 16 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

After 8 years as a PCA member, 3 of which was as a Board member, my wife and I decided not to renew this year. We've noticed a change in the local club's direction over the past several years; new members, most of which are owners on new cars, now directing the club.

When we first joined, we attended every event we could, including several
out-of-state road trips, auto shows and dinner meetings. We enjoyed the closeness of the group and, to our surprised, were even voted "Member's of the Year".

It seems like the club became more and more elitest and events became more expensive to participate in. Being the only 914 ever to take part began to get old,
often shrugging off the VW comments, always being destined to bring up the rear.
Many of the people who's company we enjoyed and charished stopped coming to the events and we soon followed suit. Last year we went on one winery tour, once again the only 4 cylinder car. Even the 944's are gone.

We're looking forward to getting moe involved with other local 914 owners once my car is back home from her paint job.

Just my $.02 worth.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jul 16 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #8

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

I should can mine too... no real benefit. I like Excellence 10x better than Craporama... I mean Panorama
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 16 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

They used to give a PCA discount at the dealer too....when they would bother to stock or order the part...once went in and asked for an Oil filter for an SC because I had a 100 dollar PCA gift coupon....dickhead asked, what year Mercedes was it?

The PROPER answer for Porsche parts jockey is......911 or 356?
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jul 16 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(STL914 @ Jul 16 2006, 12:34 PM) *

It seems like the club became more and more elitest and events became more expensive to participate in. Being the only 914 ever to take part began to get old,
often shrugging off the VW comments, always being destined to bring up the rear.

Substitute "356" for "914" and dial back the clock about 20 years and you get the impression many 356 folk had about the PCA back then.

Skip
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 16 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Great story Gary!

It is obvious to me that you have the Porsche passion.

I may need your help in the near future with 914 only related events.

PCA Zone7 presidents used to watch us show up with "our club" to their events and ask me "how" they could get us more involved with the PCA. I said: dont forget, this is about the people more than the cars.

B
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 16 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #12

We should ask to have a run group assigned to us next AX....nothing but 914s in a whole run group.....bet THAT would twist some panties....
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jul 16 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

The vast majority of the folk I run into at the few PCA events at which I hang are good people. Most of the time it's at AX and we are birds of a feather.
I volunteered to help out at AX and now find myself AX chairperson. Frankly, I have more fun at SCCA events nowdays and if were not for the wonderful bunch of folks we have helping out on a permanent basis, I would have never have agreed to do it. ....but I've been at it for 2 years & feel it's time for someone else to step up to the task.

Your PCA region is what you make of it.....if only one chunk of it.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 16 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #14

2270 club

Member No.: 218

It's not just about a magazine or a per autocross discount you cheapskates. It's about the organization. If the organization didn't exist there wouldn't be any Porsche-only AX. DE days, concourse events, AX school, etc.

For $40/year it's an extraordinary value IMO. At $100 the Zone 7 2 day AX school is an incredible value. Go price a similar course at Skip Barber's school.

On the other hand, if you are like most 914 owners and don't show up to events then I guess $40 is wasted money. If you do attend events then supporting the organization is worth it IMO.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 16 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 16 2006, 11:56 AM) *

On the other hand, if you are like most 914 owners and don't show up to events then I guess $40 is wasted money. If you do attend events then supporting the organization is worth it IMO.

If the local organization isn't making you feel welcome (which seems to be happening to Gary), then why attend? The PCA seems to be a nice idea, but various chapters appear to be losing the spirit of the idea, and are only catering to newer cars (and those people who can afford them).
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 16 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 16 2006, 10:56 AM) *

It's not just about a magazine or a per autocross discount you cheapskates. It's about the organization. If the organization didn't exist there wouldn't be any Porsche-only AX. DE days, concourse events, AX school, etc.

For $40/year it's an extraordinary value IMO. At $100 the Zone 7 2 day AX school is an incredible value. Go price a similar course at Skip Barber's school.

I've been a board member, gone to out of town events and always volunteer at a/x's and other events. I went to a PCA state wide event and was the only 914.

It is not a user friendly group. I know you're going to say every local region is different. Most 914 Owners don't show up for events because most 914 Owners aren't members. Supporting a organization that doesn't support it's members not worth it IMO. The organization is the fuching problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Jul 16 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I'm always on the fence with the PCA. I don't relate to the tours and concours at all but I think that's an age thing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The magazine, blah, I'm not drinking enough of the new Porsche Corp. kool-aid to appreciate it.

I've always enjoyed the driving events (AX, TT, whatever) and PCAer that are drivers have a clue about 914s and as JP says are birds of a feather. As long as I enjoy a few events a year I'll continue to support that club.

I did endure my first disparaging 914 comment at a PCA AX two weeks ago. I realize that it was completely rooted in a 993 driver's insecurities about the fact the my unsorted evil handling 914-6c car was 9 seconds quicker than his 993. This right before a fellow 914 driver loaned him a floor jack so he could put his spare tire on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Do whatever works for you.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 16 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #18

I hope he peed on the handle first....
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Jul 16 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #19

good design never goes out of date..

Member No.: 1,483
Region Association: Northern California

I have had the same feelings about my PCA membership. I really dont care for the Cheese and Wine tours or the dinner events. I steams me that our local region SVR (sacramento) cant secure a autocross location so you have to drive to Stockton. I really dont have time to drive to stockton with kids and modern life. But then i bet we all waste a lot more than $40 on other silly stuff so i stay for now.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jul 16 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #20

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jul 16 2006, 03:42 PM) *

I have had the same feelings about my PCA membership. I really dont care for the Cheese and Wine tours or the dinner events. I steams me that our local region SVR (sacramento) cant secure a autocross location so you have to drive to Stockton. I really dont have time to drive to stockton with kids and modern life. But then i bet we all waste a lot more than $40 on other silly stuff so i stay for now.

Venues are THE toughest thing for an AXer to find.
To run the Parade AX we (ORPCA) almost had to rent a substandard venue
for $9000 for 2 days. When PIR opened up..a long story... we got the track for
$5000 for the same days.
We searched all over within 50 miles of Portland...nuthin'. Packwood WA was the closest venue that would suit for 450 cars......150 miles North.

BTW,Rumor has it that Mather Field is gonna open up again. You'll have nuthin to bitch about then....in fact, I'm jealous. Tain't enuff to make me move down there, but I'll visit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:17 PM