Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulled the plug on my PCA membership
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I received my renewal notice from the Porsche Club of America this week. It seems for the last 5 years I've debated if I should drop my membership. I don't need it to a/x with the club as they allow all who show up to run. I only got a $5.00 per a/x discount for each event and at $45.00/yr it didn't save me any money. It is more about getting value for my money and I don't see that I am.

Panaorama is pretty weak (have you ever seen the BMWCCA mag? blink.gif ) And how much more will they ever print about a car that is over 30 years old. All the info you ever need is right here with this (mostly) normal bunch of guys. I like reading about the racing cars but now I can do that online. I have 16 years worth of Pano's to go through and cut out the 914 articles. That shouldn't take long.

Bye-Bye PCA bye1.gif

Paul

porschenut
I agree. The only reason I keep paying is for the drivers ed events. But with the horsepower wars going on lately bringing any car with less than 300 HP is a waste.
BMW club guys seem way cooler, will probably join BMWCCA next year.
TINCAN914
I wondered if it was worth joining..... When I saw the fee's Iwondered what the benefit was? It's not expensive, but I wondered what you really get out of it.....
URY914
QUOTE(porschenut @ Jul 16 2006, 08:02 AM) *

I agree. The only reason I keep paying is for the drivers ed events. But with the horsepower wars going on lately bringing any car with less than 300 HP is a waste.
BMW club guys seem way cooler, will probably join BMWCCA next year.

I don't do Driver's Eds anymore or Club race so.... confused24.gif
pete-stevers
would they help you find a road car??
probably not.....
i think i see another 914 in your future......
Brad Roberts
I managed not to be a member for 15+ years of running with them. When I moved to SD, they wont let you run if you are not a member. It has to do with insurance. You are not covered (I run at my own risk), but they have to protect everyone.

I havent kept up all my memberships for a few years (no money)

But:

ALMS
GrandAm
SCCA
PCA
NASA
POC

I maintain 3 out of the 6 right now. The teams that call for help in ALMS and GrandAm will typically pay for my renewal when needed.

It is expenive to play.

B
STL914
After 8 years as a PCA member, 3 of which was as a Board member, my wife and I decided not to renew this year. We've noticed a change in the local club's direction over the past several years; new members, most of which are owners on new cars, now directing the club.

When we first joined, we attended every event we could, including several
out-of-state road trips, auto shows and dinner meetings. We enjoyed the closeness of the group and, to our surprised, were even voted "Member's of the Year".

It seems like the club became more and more elitest and events became more expensive to participate in. Being the only 914 ever to take part began to get old,
often shrugging off the VW comments, always being destined to bring up the rear.
Many of the people who's company we enjoyed and charished stopped coming to the events and we soon followed suit. Last year we went on one winery tour, once again the only 4 cylinder car. Even the 944's are gone.

We're looking forward to getting moe involved with other local 914 owners once my car is back home from her paint job.

Just my $.02 worth.
Qarl
I should can mine too... no real benefit. I like Excellence 10x better than Craporama... I mean Panorama
Joe Bob
They used to give a PCA discount at the dealer too....when they would bother to stock or order the part...once went in and asked for an Oil filter for an SC because I had a 100 dollar PCA gift coupon....dickhead asked, what year Mercedes was it?

The PROPER answer for Porsche parts jockey is......911 or 356?
smontanaro
QUOTE(STL914 @ Jul 16 2006, 12:34 PM) *

It seems like the club became more and more elitest and events became more expensive to participate in. Being the only 914 ever to take part began to get old,
often shrugging off the VW comments, always being destined to bring up the rear.

Substitute "356" for "914" and dial back the clock about 20 years and you get the impression many 356 folk had about the PCA back then.

Skip
Brad Roberts
Great story Gary!

It is obvious to me that you have the Porsche passion.

I may need your help in the near future with 914 only related events.

PCA Zone7 presidents used to watch us show up with "our club" to their events and ask me "how" they could get us more involved with the PCA. I said: dont forget, this is about the people more than the cars.

B
Joe Bob
We should ask to have a run group assigned to us next AX....nothing but 914s in a whole run group.....bet THAT would twist some panties....
J P Stein
The vast majority of the folk I run into at the few PCA events at which I hang are good people. Most of the time it's at AX and we are birds of a feather.
I volunteered to help out at AX and now find myself AX chairperson. Frankly, I have more fun at SCCA events nowdays and if were not for the wonderful bunch of folks we have helping out on a permanent basis, I would have never have agreed to do it. ....but I've been at it for 2 years & feel it's time for someone else to step up to the task.

Your PCA region is what you make of it.....if only one chunk of it.
anthony
It's not just about a magazine or a per autocross discount you cheapskates. It's about the organization. If the organization didn't exist there wouldn't be any Porsche-only AX. DE days, concourse events, AX school, etc.

For $40/year it's an extraordinary value IMO. At $100 the Zone 7 2 day AX school is an incredible value. Go price a similar course at Skip Barber's school.

On the other hand, if you are like most 914 owners and don't show up to events then I guess $40 is wasted money. If you do attend events then supporting the organization is worth it IMO.
lapuwali
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 16 2006, 11:56 AM) *

On the other hand, if you are like most 914 owners and don't show up to events then I guess $40 is wasted money. If you do attend events then supporting the organization is worth it IMO.

If the local organization isn't making you feel welcome (which seems to be happening to Gary), then why attend? The PCA seems to be a nice idea, but various chapters appear to be losing the spirit of the idea, and are only catering to newer cars (and those people who can afford them).
URY914
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 16 2006, 10:56 AM) *

It's not just about a magazine or a per autocross discount you cheapskates. It's about the organization. If the organization didn't exist there wouldn't be any Porsche-only AX. DE days, concourse events, AX school, etc.

For $40/year it's an extraordinary value IMO. At $100 the Zone 7 2 day AX school is an incredible value. Go price a similar course at Skip Barber's school.

I've been a board member, gone to out of town events and always volunteer at a/x's and other events. I went to a PCA state wide event and was the only 914.

It is not a user friendly group. I know you're going to say every local region is different. Most 914 Owners don't show up for events because most 914 Owners aren't members. Supporting a organization that doesn't support it's members not worth it IMO. The organization is the fuching problem. laugh.gif
kdfoust
I'm always on the fence with the PCA. I don't relate to the tours and concours at all but I think that's an age thing... biggrin.gif The magazine, blah, I'm not drinking enough of the new Porsche Corp. kool-aid to appreciate it.

I've always enjoyed the driving events (AX, TT, whatever) and PCAer that are drivers have a clue about 914s and as JP says are birds of a feather. As long as I enjoy a few events a year I'll continue to support that club.

I did endure my first disparaging 914 comment at a PCA AX two weeks ago. I realize that it was completely rooted in a 993 driver's insecurities about the fact the my unsorted evil handling 914-6c car was 9 seconds quicker than his 993. This right before a fellow 914 driver loaned him a floor jack so he could put his spare tire on. beerchug.gif

Do whatever works for you.

Later,
Kevin
Joe Bob
I hope he peed on the handle first....
racerx9146
I have had the same feelings about my PCA membership. I really dont care for the Cheese and Wine tours or the dinner events. I steams me that our local region SVR (sacramento) cant secure a autocross location so you have to drive to Stockton. I really dont have time to drive to stockton with kids and modern life. But then i bet we all waste a lot more than $40 on other silly stuff so i stay for now.
J P Stein
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jul 16 2006, 03:42 PM) *

I have had the same feelings about my PCA membership. I really dont care for the Cheese and Wine tours or the dinner events. I steams me that our local region SVR (sacramento) cant secure a autocross location so you have to drive to Stockton. I really dont have time to drive to stockton with kids and modern life. But then i bet we all waste a lot more than $40 on other silly stuff so i stay for now.

Venues are THE toughest thing for an AXer to find.
To run the Parade AX we (ORPCA) almost had to rent a substandard venue
for $9000 for 2 days. When PIR opened up..a long story... we got the track for
$5000 for the same days.
We searched all over within 50 miles of Portland...nuthin'. Packwood WA was the closest venue that would suit for 450 cars......150 miles North.

BTW,Rumor has it that Mather Field is gonna open up again. You'll have nuthin to bitch about then....in fact, I'm jealous. Tain't enuff to make me move down there, but I'll visit. biggrin.gif
Brando
I share your sentiments about the club, URY and Gary. In my local Riverside region it has turned into a "good old boy's club" with the same presidentes every few years. They have shun away the newer, younger crowd and what would be fun events for everyone. Granted many of the elder members (not older) do sometimes have good ideas, they are reluctant to accept new ones without an overwhelming majority (almost unanimous) decision to do such.

The only real benefit of still being a member, participating in (general) PCA events is to network, network, network. We do tend to get a bit of business from PCA members, but what happens most of the time with PCAers is they read about doing something in Excellence or the Pano, screw it up, and need it done right. Alot of them make appointments to come in and flake after hearing how expensive it is (they wouldn't dare think of calling the dealership unless they got a huge discount). I think these are issues with just the inland empire, though; as we do get many customers from Rancho, Newport, OC, SBD and the SBD mountain cities since we have been participating in the OC region.
STL914
One of the maion reasons that I joined the PCA was to be able to do Porsche related events along with my wife. She wasn't too keen on my buying my first 914, but once "we" started doing things; road trips, winery tours, even the annual pool party and "Chili Auction", she was 100% involved. Our first year as members we both worked as corner workers for the DE. She had a great time, even though she's not fond of racing, in any form. The social events were something we both could do and did.

During our second year, the club President called and persuaded me to become a Board Member. Each Board Member was tasked with organizing one event. I came up with the idea of an all German car show, to be held at a local mini-brewery. I caught a lot of flak from a few of the "old timers" telling me that I'd fail. Several weeks later, after I detailed the progress I was making, one of these nay sayers now offered to help. I politely told him to piss off. The show was a huge success, plenty of cars, a German polka band, German food and plenty of beer. But my success created a wedge between me and a few members who I proved to be wrong.

Unlike most of the comments I've read here, the St. Louis PCA was moving in a direction where the majority of their planned events were racing related. There was talk of sanctioning a PCA Club race. The road trips became few and far between. The pool party was stopped, as was the Chili Auction. If you wern't racing, there was not much to do. The group that we were part of was doing less and less with the club.

My wife and I started going places on our own in the 914. We did what we wanted, when we wanted and really enjoyed the time together. We realised that while we had great times with the club, and made some good friends, we didn't actually need the club to enjoy "our" car. She's still after me to teach her how to drive it.
ClayPerrine
Around here the Maverick Region of PCA is really fun. They have lots of events to fit anyone's taste. We have AX, TT, DE, and the ocassional club race for the racing folks, we have monthly lunches, dinners, tours, Rallys, and last night we even went to a "Murder Mystery Dinner"... That was a blast. The people are friendly and fun to be with, and we don't have one particular faction that runs the show.

And the local region tries to actively recruit 914 owners to come out and join. We were reluctant to join PCA for years in the fear of getting snubbed as "Volkswagen Wannabees". Here that's just not true. SCCA has pushed the 914 into an AX class where it can't win, and with PCA AX we get more runs. Our region has even "adopted" the local Miata and Mini owners as psuedo-porsches. The come out to the AX and Rallys all the time. Over half the cars at our AX schools last spring were Minis.

Don't write off PCA, get in there and do something about it. Like anything else, it's only as good as the people who actually contribute.
Kargeek
I have been both a PCA and BMWCCA member for over 20 years.

A really cool thing the BMW club offers are a club rebate on new- ($1,000.00) and CPO used ($500.00) BMW's- I got a 500.00 check when I purchased my '03 540. BMWCCA also offers a raffle at their annual national club Octoberfest meet. You don't have to attend to win. 25.00 a ticket. They give away around a dozen cars ever year- mostly have been M3's and M5's. This year they lowered the standard a bit to Z4's and 3 series to offer more winners.

Which brings up something we ought to do... is a raffle on a 914!

DH
grantsfo

Its funny I think our region is very active and has a bunch of race enthusiasts. I couldnt imagine not being a PCA member - but its a family tradition since the early 1970's for me. I was talking to a BMW guy today who said "man you PCA guys are always having events". He bought a Porsche and joined PCA so he could drive his BMW's on the track with PCA!

Trekkor
The local regions in the greater bay area run a/x's at several locations I can think of:

Alameda
Candlestick Park
Golden Gate Fields
Sant Rosa airport
Marina Airfield
Infineon Raceway paddock
Mather field
Stockton

D/E's at:

Thunderhill Park
Laguna Seca
Infineon Racway ( Sears Point )
Buttonwillow Park
Reno-Fernley raceway

Without support for PCA I think that all goes away.

KT
Rusty
I tend to agree with Clay, that like most things in life... what you get out is what you put in. If I lived in Texas, I'd probably be part of PCA again.

But I tried to do some stuff with my PCA region in Iowa. Back then, they had one whine & cheeze event every year. It took almost 20 phone calls to reach a region official... and then, it seemed like I was a bother to him. I think I had a 944 and a 914 back then.

PCA? No interest for me - I let my membership lapse.

But if someone has a contact at National... please send your contact a link to this thread.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 16 2006, 10:19 PM) *

The local regions in the greater bay area run a/x's at several locations I can think of:

Alameda
Candlestick Park
Golden Gate Fields
Sant Rosa airport
Marina Airfield
Infineon Raceway paddock
Mather field
Stockton

D/E's at:

Thunderhill Park
Laguna Seca
Infineon Racway ( Sears Point )
Buttonwillow Park
Reno-Fernley raceway

Without support for PCA I think that all goes away.

KT

Right, what Trekkor said.

We also miss Brad up here figuring out new venues for the 914 guys/girls.

Just being able to attend up to 30 or more autoX a year (GGR, LPR, RR, Zone 7) is worth continuing support for the Porsche Club.

Brad Roberts
The SF bay area has to be one of the most active PCA area's I have ever seen.

I was blown away by the fact that the "car capitol" of the world.. SmellA had close to ZERO PCA activity.

I'm sure there are more regions that have fun, but the only other region that rivals GGR/LPR/RR is Maverick in the DFW area (Clays reference)

If you want to drive: NorCal is where it's at. No other region can hold a candle to it. Pretty easy to be that way with 4 nice race tracks and 10+ AutoX venues and weather that supports running 12 months out of the year.

I miss it and the people.

B
Wild 6
The Phoenix and Tucson PCA Regions have a bunch of really wonderful people. 914s are welcomed just as much as Carrera GTs. In fact, some of our most popular members own 914s beerchug.gif.

One the best ways to meet new friends is to offer to help at an event. I have 40-50 friends that I have met over the years at PCA events - some were racing events and some social. If you haven't tried out the Porsche Club, don't let others cloud your judgement. You might just make a bunch of new friends and live a happier life.
STL914
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 16 2006, 11:29 AM) *

If the local organization isn't making you feel welcome (which seems to be happening to Gary), then why attend? The PCA seems to be a nice idea, but various chapters appear to be losing the spirit of the idea, and are only catering to newer cars (and those people who can afford them).

I keep rereading this thread and it's still interesting.

I never minded that we were the only 914 in the sea of 911's, Carrera, and Boxsters. My wife and I were out to have an enjoyable drive, targa top off, windows down, stereo blasting [I swear I could hear it] and taking in the country side. The others were always buttoned up with the A/C on [should have stayed home if it's too hot for ya].

What did bother me was that there were over a dozen 914 owners in the club and they never brought their cars out. Many also onwed either a 944, 912 or 911 and that was the car they would drive.

The St. Louis Region is over 450 members strong. The largest turnout I can remember is about 30 people for any event, other than a DE. The road trips
would average maybe 6 or 7 cars, once we had about 20, another time only 3.
The small group who attended the meetings were the ones directing the course for the club. Like stated elsewhere in this thread, the good old boy mentallity
took hold and went the way they wanted.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(porschenut @ Jul 16 2006, 11:02 AM) *

Disagree with the 300 HP thing. But then again I play with regular gear heads that rent No Problem Raceway. We run what we brung. no need for an instructor for 1st time out. But someone experienced is always willing to jump in your car and ride along. We don't care how fast you go just as long as it is fast.

I gave PCA one year and that was it.
Matt Romanowski
The regions are truly what you make of them. I'm very lucky to be a part of North Country. We are a great group of people. There is a wide variety of cars and tons of events. We have an event almost every weekend and welcome anyone.

I would suggest trying your local region and being involved. It's a great spot to make friends and try different activities. I can definatly say some of my best friends were made through PCA.

Matt
dheinz
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jul 17 2006, 09:45 AM) *

The regions are truly what you make of them. I'm very lucky to be a part of North Country. We are a great group of people. There is a wide variety of cars and tons of events. We have an event almost every weekend and welcome anyone.

I would suggest trying your local region and being involved. It's a great spot to make friends and try different activities. I can definatly say some of my best friends were made through PCA.

Matt

I agree with Matt. The Allegheny region is made up of a great bunch of people also. We go out of our way to make new and existing members feel welcome. All suggestions of Porsche related activities are considered.
Being one of the only 914s in a sea of 911s can have its advantage. At the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix last weekend, my car was photograghed many,many times. It definitely stood out in the sea of 911s. biggrin.gif
porschecb
I have put $42.00 in slot machines over the years and got nothing. wink.gif
carr914
Well, Paul I hope you at least got the July issue of PANO. Nice article and picture of Pete Tremper and a picture of a wild 914 custom in the regions section. Don't woory if anything earth shattering happens in the region, I'll let you know.

T.C.
URY914
I keep waiting for someone to call from the National office to a story on my car but my picture has never even been in the local region rag.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Jul 17 2006, 10:11 AM) *

The Phoenix and Tucson PCA Regions have a bunch of really wonderful people. 914s are welcomed just as much as Carrera GTs. In fact, some of our most popular members own 914s beerchug.gif.

One the best ways to meet new friends is to offer to help at an event. I have 40-50 friends that I have met over the years at PCA events - some were racing events and some social. If you haven't tried out the Porsche Club, don't let others cloud your judgement. You might just make a bunch of new friends and live a happier life.

Interesting... not my experience with the Phoenix PCA group. I showed up for a regular meeting when I was in Phoenix on business. I didn't have a name badge so it was quite obvious that I was not to be talked to. They had no provisions for welcoming a guest and encouraging them to be part of the organization.

I recently rejoined after one of the AZ members showed up at our Toys-for-Tots run to Rock Springs last December and talked a pretty good game about the benefits of membership. Now that I'm getting Panorama again I keep wondering why I bothered since there is so little of interest in it for someone who is never going to purchase a new Porsche.

I'm on a budget and after paying $45 to PCA for national membership, I am still supposed to pay another $18 for Arizona Region membership. I'm not sure how beneficial region membership would be for me since the AZ region only seems interested in the northern part of the state as part of their expensive "wine & cheese" tours, but I'd sure rather pay $30 a year for a national/regional membership combo that did not include Panorama than to pay almost $65 and get something that is of little value to me.

I think the fact that I always wonder whether its worth it when I write the check may be the best indication of whether I should renew next time. If it's really worth it, then I'd have no doubts.
dennisc
I am thinking that the SIG (special interest group) for the last few MUSR's is PCA sanctioned. Would have to check with Charlie Davis on the details. I'm pretty sure it gave us insurance coverage. One year the event was featured in PANO. The insurance is a big ticket.
dinomium
I we have a brand new region on my side of the water. We still piggy back on the old NW region for many events, like Autocross, but we do have our own rallys, show and shine, tours and tech sessions. I would LOVE to see the NW region start having there autocrosses at a more Seattle central local, and the Olympic region host AX at Bremerton. Then I would have about 5 different ax not to show up at...
You do get what you give in any club.

Also, a really sharp red 914 is on the cover of the local Northwest Region mag...
Wild 6
ThinAir914,
It is interesting that one person with a 914 can join AZ PCA, sample the events, find something they like and make lots of friends while another teener member see no value. No one spoke to me at my first meeting either. In fact, the meetings are kind of boring. I met friends by volunteering. I was assistant autocross chair for 1 year, chair for 2 years and next season I will go back to assistant autoX chair and start helping with DE events. This is the only way I know of to meet people. Most people are just too shy to walk up and meet others at a meeting.

Being on a budget is okay. Most if not all of the Sunday drives are free, but you have to buy your own lunch (we rarely - as in never - do wine and cheese on a Sunday drive). Lunch is normally $7-10. We usually meet at McDonalds or the Coffee Plantation in Fountain Hills before departing.

The most active PCA members are NOT the wealthy ones. We do have some stuck up members - I don't hang out with them.
BenT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 16 2006, 04:52 PM) *

BTW,Rumor has it that Mather Field is gonna open up again. You'll have nuthin to bitch about then....in fact, I'm jealous. Tain't enuff to make me move down there, but I'll visit. biggrin.gif

I don't know about Mather Field... Just bought a second home there. They are putting 20,000 homes within that former base. Who knows what space will be left after all the development.

The place is too hot for me. The only thing living inside that big house is my /6.

As for PCA, I've sitting in the fence since 1978. I still have the app from that year. I contemplate it every few years but cannot seem to mail the damned things. I seem to recall a time when they were not permitting /4 to join PCA.

BenT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.