Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> No High beams, Lows and driving work
Stieve
post Jul 17 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,996

I put a test light on the top portion of the fuse and click on high beams, and the test light went on and off, high beams didn't illuminate, is it a bad relay? I can hear it click, and BOTH high beams don't light up, nor does the fuse stay hot when engaged. HELP!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Stieve
post Jul 17 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Jul 18 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #3

almost not a newbie ( way less than a newbie)

Member No.: 6,038
Region Association: None

I had the same problem on my 73, Probaly not the smartest thing, but I switched the High beam and low beam connectors on the relay and everything worked. I assume it was from corrosion on the connectors, but I don't want to try switching it back now to find out. Have you messed with any of your wiring recently?
+Quote Post
Stieve
post Jul 18 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #4

no, only tested the fuse ane the light bulb connection
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 18 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bad TS switch or dirty contacts in switch. The 911s in 72-73 were notorious for ruining these switches.
+Quote Post
Stieve
post Jul 18 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 18 2006, 09:00 PM) *

Bad TS switch or dirty contacts in switch. The 911s in 72-73 were notorious for ruining these switches.

Well Depending how fricken HOT it is tomorrow, I will tear into the column, since I have new switches and bearings and a Dino wheel to install as well as my Cold air intake.
I will let you know.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Jul 19 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,878

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the easiest thing for me.. one of the wires busted off of the plug on the back of each headlight. Not sure how but I found it when I was putting in the new headlights I got to fix the problem... should have checked it first I guess. Moral of the story, make sure to check the simple things before busting into the big stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Stieve
post Jul 19 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #8

I will know more tomorrow, got into it, and decided to do the electric wiper wash install. I also swapped the HL switch, noticed #56? id disconnected(recheck number), is there suppose to be one missing on a 73?
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Jul 19 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,634

when my car had the exact same symptoms, it turned out to be the relay on the fuse block. I happened to have one, but i bet a VW one would work, it did for my turn signals
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Jul 22 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #10

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Member No.: 4,718
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tobra @ Jul 19 2006, 09:01 PM) *

when my car had the exact same symptoms, it turned out to be the relay on the fuse block. I happened to have one, but i bet a VW one would work, it did for my turn signals

OK, I've been going through this same thing... sorta. I had driving lights and high beams, no low beams. So, I took all the fuses out and cleaned, rebent the holders. I took all the wires off the fuseblock, one at a time and cleaned the connections, I took off the ground wires near the headlights and cleaned the mounting surface and connectors... tried the lights. NOTHING.. lol.

Tonight I messed with that square silver relay on the relay board under the dash. I turned the lights on.. high beams worked fine. I clicked the switch, felt the relay click over. No lowbeams. Now I wiggled the wires on the relay.. .HAY! my lowbeams just flashed. so I wiggled that one wire again... which on mine was the white wire. it works. I leaned the wire over and taped it to the side (just to keep pressure on it) and I have both headlights now. I'll try to find a new relay this week. I don't drive in the dark anyway.. but, that's where I found my problem. Now, if I could just get my headlights to CLOSE when I turn them off...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:32 PM