Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2 questions ok 4 I can't count, I'm gonna kill it!
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,878

1st question, Who wants to steal my teener to keep it from being pushed over a cliff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
2nd question, Why the hell isn't #4 firing?? I'm getting good spark to a good plug? And it was running GREAT last week?? Are my valves THAT far off?? What else would cause this?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Allan
post Aug 2 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Try pulling the injector and put it in a jar and see if it's spraying fuel.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #3

sorry ...background... it has dual 40's sync'd and just right
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Aug 2 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946

Pull the idle jet and see if it's clogged...

-Aaron
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Aug 2 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #5

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114

EDIT: OK you have carbs.....valves shouldn't cause that, in normal circumstances. If you haven't tinkered with timing or anything, its probably fuel delivery, so check your carbs (venturi, jets, accel pump) for debris or other screw-uppage...that's as far as I can get you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Brent
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #6

just checked the idle jet, its fine. These are 4 month carbs right off of the factory's test engine. Fuel delivery is from a high flow low pressure carter pump with pressure regulator in line at a constant 2.5lbs. If valves couldn't cause this and I'm getting good air and spark what else could it be? I checked the compression in it 2 weeks ago and all 4 were popping at about 150?? I have a good solid vacuum signature?? OK now I'm really lost... Any takers on stealing it???
+Quote Post
elwood-914
post Aug 2 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #7

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

I'd steal it but that's way to far to push the damn thing.....and besides I have to push my own.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Aug 2 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #8

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114

well you could try the old spray carb cleaner in the cylinder and see if it fires....that would isolate a fuel delivery problem....are you SURE it's not running?
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 2 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

Valves could cause it, a tight valve will drop your compression. Did you check the main jet, It's happened to mine.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #10

well, here is the background as to why I was poking around in there. Like I said last week she was running great, she is my daily driver. I have been having a bit of trouble with her transition from idle to WOT, but very minor as of late. I didn't drive her at all this weekend, and on monday when I got in her to go to work the transition was horrible, worse than it has ever been. After 3 days I finally got a chance to look in there to see what has changed if anything. All of my settings are the same, no screws turned out or anything so I started pulling plug wires with her running. All of them have a fall off except #4, when I pull that wire there is no change. I pulled the plug, and it looked ok, a little sooty like all of them from running rich, went ahead and cleaned it because it too is new and tried it again. Still no fire... Fouled plug?? Don't think so but maybe... it is a plat
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 2 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 2 2006, 07:03 PM) *

Valves could cause it, a tight valve will drop your compression. Did you check the main jet, It's happened to mine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Fixed one car by just adjusting the valves...they were to tight.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #12

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Did you hear me?
I was standing out back facing east.
I said ...... " Your fucking idle jet is plugged Blow it out again". and while you are there pull the mixture screw. Spray carb cleaner in the jet hole and observe crap coming out mixture screw hole and progression holes in the side of the carb above the throttle plate.

Put it back together and see if it fires. You are making spark if the plug is dry. but not delivering gas.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #13

thats what I've been leaning towards, when I first got the car a year and half ago the valves were WAY out of adjustment, I knew nothing about working on it so took it to a VW shop and they adjusted it. Maybe they did a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) ty job, that could explain my transition trouble through 3 different sets of carbs... now that I have a garage I can put it up and check it out.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 2 2006, 09:15 PM) *

Did you hear me?
I was standing out back facing east.
I said ...... " Your fucking idle jet is plugged Blow it out again". and while you are there pull the mixture screw. Spray carb cleaner in the jet hole and observe crap coming out mixture screw hole and progression holes in the side of the carb above the throttle plate.

Put it back together and see if it fires. You are making spark if the plug is dry. but not delivering gas.

DONE THAT!!!! I was just %$^&@ing in there pulling all the jets and screws out, they are CLEAN!!! My adjustments may be way off but everything in there is squeaky clean with NO clogs!!
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #15

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Well you may have it fixed by the time the 13th of August rolls around.
You going to be in town? can you get it to Barry's house?

Or I am free this Friday and Sunday if I skip the Night Autocross Saturday night. (have I mentioned I like to autocross?)

How bad do you want it fixed?

I also can't remember if you said you put new intake gaskets in.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Aug 2 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 781

If you're sure you have a good spark, then do a compression check and swap the carbs side to side (whichever is easier for you, try first).
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #17

I'll be in town on the 13th, I actually just bought a house around the corner from Barry's, unfortunately I have to have that house fixed up and be moved out of this house by the 14th so long story short I'm gonna be WAY WAY busy. Plus some Navy $#!t going down for me at the absolutely WRONG time. It would be great to have some help on this thing, but life is kinda upside down right now that's why I have not asked for help yet. Thanks though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I'll manage until I can con you back this way for some help.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

I'm pretty "con-able"
It will only take me an our to get your car running. maybe longer if beer is involved.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 2 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #19

I'll supply all the beer you can drink, and a cool engraved dash facing if you want it... I'll make the glove box say something cool like Redneck Racer... like the one I made for Barry. I'll let you know when I have a free minute on the horizon.
+Quote Post
Chogokin
post Aug 3 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #20

OK now this has taken another weird turn.... driving into work this morning she was still running like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) when about 3 miles into my trip at a stop light POOF she started running good again. Back to my minor transition problem but back up to full power? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I think my teener hates me... lol
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:04 PM